Author Topic: Let's talk about a new head football coach  (Read 28239 times)

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
  • Explosives Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about a new head football coach
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2023, 07:52:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Is anyone interested in a coach from U of H whose first name is Dana?  Because Holgorsen was just fired.   So, we could have Dana Part Deux!

lieb

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: November 27, 2023, 10:03:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Please no.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: November 28, 2023, 09:35:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • OK I kinda griped before about why the discussion always involves ex players.  It truly wasn't at MiW, just a general thing.

Now every article I read about the search mentions whether or not a coach has Texas ties or at least Texas recruiting ties.   Does this matter?  I'm not sure it does anymore. Am I wrong?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: November 28, 2023, 09:57:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Let me ask this question. How many of you ever remember landing a recruit?  We got what we got. But you know who had McDonald all Americans lined up to play for him? Transfer qbs and receivers from cartel schools?  Mike Price. Was it name or style of play. His name was fucking mud. But those players knew they would get a chance to win and shine. Folks, that?s what we call a clue. Kugler,nfl star o line coach and dumbel tried running game ground game time of possession football and both failed miserably. Price brings in wide open offense and the wins come along with packed houses.
    As I look at sites and their choices I am stunned by some of them.   UTEP defensive coordinator! 

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: November 28, 2023, 10:48:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Doesn?t directly answer the question of TX recruiting but relevant

Put up 30-40 points a game and I guarantee you?ll get a better selection of offensive players

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: November 28, 2023, 11:33:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You?re right. It doesn?t but it does. What is Texas high school produce?  Quarterbacks and running backs, maybe. Playing in front of fans and winning. The education should be a given. The women of El Paso are beautiful. No crime. Not much nite life but better than very many college towns. I think the recruiting thing is a non factor if you have a known good coach. Not so much if the guy is having to sell UTEP. El Paso is barely Texas. If we get so unknown untried coach from some small school for a ?good deal ? it can go bad or good. I want good or better. I want an attempt made that even I can?t complain about. I want a ?Hell yes!? hire!  Won?t happen.  The guy I want could easily recruit Texas or anywhere. Players want to play for him as much as I want him.  What I get will be a lump of coal in my stocking.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: November 28, 2023, 11:42:40 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I hate it when the coaches get their way by maintaining that they be given 5 year contracts "to bring in their players" and all the while they keep losing ala coach Dismal. Give them at least 3 years to produce and every year after that they get a bonus AND A JOB. None of this extension Bull Schiff when all the while they're losing and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. All it does is guarantee the loser coach that he has a job or if fired a nice parachute, again, ala Dismal.

Remember this coach wannabes want the job, they're the ones applying for it, not the other way around unless they're a winning and known commodity. No one ever goes to a job thinking the way coach applicants do. We're grateful that at least we have a job and will be able to feed our families. Oh no, not coach applicants, they're prima donnas even before they set foot in a schools athletic offices. We need ADs that have cajones and put their feet to the fire. "oh so you want all this before even starting a game?" No can do, should be the answer.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: November 28, 2023, 12:57:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Depends who it is and who is in command.  How many coaches want us vs how many teams want them.  For us to land the kind of coach those of us on this board want, we'll probably pretty much have to give whatever they ask.

Unfortunately, Senter seems to have about the negotiating skills of a wet noodle.  He handed the keys to the kingdom to a washed up not even has been, but a washed up never was for the last half decade.  And extended him. There was no competition from other schools for Dimel.  None.  And we still gave him a golden parachute.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: November 30, 2023, 05:46:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am still kind of half serious that we need to talk to the UT AD and their NIL guys.   We commit to running whatever offense and defense UT is going to run and we get their development players but the UT NIL guys have to pay for them to be here for development.  We become UT's 3A team.  There's no shame in that, and the rest of Texas will kinda follow UTEP a little bit to see the upcoming players.

We will never be anywhere near UT quality, but even their development players will be a LOT better than what we've had, and better than the remainder of CUSA.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: November 30, 2023, 11:12:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am still kind of half serious that we need to talk to the UT AD and their NIL guys.   We commit to running whatever offense and defense UT is going to run and we get their development players but the UT NIL guys have to pay for them to be here for development.  We become UT's 3A team.  There's no shame in that, and the rest of Texas will kinda follow UTEP a little bit to see the upcoming players.

We will never be anywhere near UT quality, but even their development players will be a LOT better than what we've had, and better than the remainder of CUSA.

Splendid idea...but I don't know if it would be legal in the Ncaa's eyes. But, since it's a Cartel school they get away with more Schiff than the regular schools so I think you may have something there and it can happen.

I never thought we'd be saying that Ut austin would be heads above us in BB. How times change.    *sigh*

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: December 02, 2023, 10:06:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well we are likely only a day or 2 away from finding out who our new head football coach will be. As Miner fans we are full of both anticipation and dread at the same time.

Local sports media are listing Brennan Marion UNLV OC, Scotty Walden Austin Peay HC, Kenny Perry Texas Tech AHC STC RB, and Eric Price former UTEP OC and NFL Offensive Analyst as the assumed 4 finalists based on reports. Could be others involved I suppose.

I wonder how other openings are affecting UTEP's choice. UNM, Nevada and MTSU are now open as well. With reports from Colin Deaver that UTEP is going to have an NIL for football, improve facilities and football salaries, it sounds like they are finally going to make a true effort to compete for conference championships. We'll see.

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: December 02, 2023, 11:57:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What in blue tarnation is an NIL. My pet peeve, people using acronyms when they're the only ones knowing what the heck it is. The Navy is terrible for this. As an AF guy when I joined the Navy Reserve I got bombarded with acronyms and most of the time I didn't know heck from hoot. Please post the word first then use the acronym to your hearts content.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: December 02, 2023, 01:23:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thought NIL was pretty well known by now.  Name, Image, or Likeness.  It?s how programs with rich donors buy players

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: December 02, 2023, 02:39:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thought NIL was pretty well known by now.  Name, Image, or Likeness.  It?s how programs with rich donors buy players

Nope, I thought it meant Non-Informed Liberal.   ;D

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: December 02, 2023, 02:59:38 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Those have no known value