Author Topic: In the latest news, Karma is doing its job  (Read 1947 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
In the latest news, Karma is doing its job
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:55:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/ncaa-basketball-officials-arrested-on-fraud-and-corruption-charges.html

So 4 basketball coaches have been arrested for Auburn, OK St., AZ, & USC. USC & Auburn are usual suspects, but I am fond of what Sean Miller is doing in AZ. That is tough for that program and I hope this is isolated to that one coach in AZ and not the whole program. I guess the FBI and the school will reveal more before the start of the season.
    The one thing that catches my attention is the USC asst. coach Tony Bland. This is the guy who was threatening to knock out little bitty Bob Cantu at the Battle of Atlantis a few years back when CTF approached Enfield to knock his shit off with the tampering of Isaac Hamilton. Plus, Enfield said some ugly words about CTF and the city of El Paso.
    It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Haha. I hope Enfield is involved with it and gets exposed. Anyway, there is no room for this kind of crap in college sports. This is a big win for us mid majors that do things the right way and don't take advantage of unethical big money opportunities.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    Re: In the latest news, Karma is doing its job
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:34:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  This is good news for mid-majors who are running clean programs. Fingers crossed for UTEP.

We know the NCAA hates to go after the bigger programs but will punish smaller ones to make an example. The FBI, however, will take the opposite attitude. This is the same FBI office that went after Martha Stewart, they love to take down high profile targets. Publicity hounds, it seems.

I wonder how many big name coaches were losing sleep last night.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not necessarily.
    A)  Probably programs at all levels are engaged.  And probably the big ones are better at concealing it. We just better hope it doesn't trace to any of our coaches.
    B) The FBI has historically been notorious for pursuing lots of easy to prosecute cases to make their numbers look good.

I bet within 10 years they stop the pretense and just pay the players with no requirement to attend the university.  P5 will become AAA.  When that happens, the G5 schools will have to decide whether to follow suit and become AA or attempt to return integrity to the system.  I don't know whether the G5 schools would thrive or die if they go this route.  For my part I will have no interest in following those sports anymore. 

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • First thing that came to mind when this story broke was how much was Isaac Hamilton paid to flip to UCLA?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Holy Crap. CBS just reported Rick Pitino was just fired. Just wow. Great coach, but a bad decision maker.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not necessarily.
    A)  Probably programs at all levels are engaged.  And probably the big ones are better at concealing it. We just better hope it doesn't trace to any of our coaches.
    B) The FBI has historically been notorious for pursuing lots of easy to prosecute cases to make their numbers look good.

I bet within 10 years they stop the pretense and just pay the players with no requirement to attend the university.  P5 will become AAA.  When that happens, the G5 schools will have to decide whether to follow suit and become AA or attempt to return integrity to the system.  I don't know whether the G5 schools would thrive or die if they go this route.  For my part I will have no interest in following those sports anymore.

Nor I. 

kuhlero

• Prospector
    • UTEP MINERS!
      • View Profile
    "Regardless"- My Tio Tencho

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Beat you guys to it. I haven't watched a Cabal sporting event in I don't know how long ago. Just like I've boycotted the No Fans League until they change their ways/rules will I go back. Believe me for someone who loves to watch his 'boys it's hard but I'm sticking to my guns. It's called integrity.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not necessarily.

You're right. I bet every level does cheat in some way. From using work supplies for personal use to what the FBI has exposed. The bigger picture of this whole FBI thing is why did they get involved without the NCAA knowing?
    We all know that answer. It is because the NCAA is CORRUPT and turns a blind eye to the Big 5 conferences, because they bring in money. Could this be the start of the downfall of the NCAA? I can pretty much bet they are sweating there asses off. No one knows how deep this investigation has gone and the Top schools along with the NCAA are afraid. Personally, I don't think the FBI will expose everything that is corrupt, but make no mistake, the little guys have won a battle of many more to come.

To me, college basketball looks to be more interesting. 

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 11:55:18 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What did the NCAA know and when did they know it?

That, my friend may be the $2B dollar question.  But are they "too big to fail?"  I will eat my shorts if the FBI implicates them in any way.  It will only come out if one of the disgraced coaches subpoenas the NCAA during discovery in their own legal cases.  I bet they are purging their emails today before they get a "preserve" order.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 03:24:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nobody is going to kill the golden goose.  Way, way, too much money involved in preserving the big 5 cartel.  Too big to fail is right.  Try and keep in mind that the mightiest of the NCAA Warriors was the same guy who was allowing Sandusky to rape boys at Happy Valley's own Penn State.  Boy, that whole scandal really put a dent in them, didn't it.  There will be a few fall guys sent to some place for a severe talking to, and the schools will have to file some reports.  Maybe even hire a person from the NCAA to make sure the reports are filed properly.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 08:45:01 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There's a chance.  If you're a big name coach millionaire you can afford to hire the lawyers.  And facing federal charges is the kind of thing to make you want to take everyone down with you.

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 08:51:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nobody is going to kill the golden goose.  Way, way, too much money involved in preserving the big 5 cartel.  Too big to fail is right.  Try and keep in mind that the mightiest of the NCAA Warriors was the same guy who was allowing Sandusky to rape boys at Happy Valley's own Penn State.  Boy, that whole scandal really put a dent in them, didn't it.  There will be a few fall guys sent to some place for a severe talking to, and the schools will have to file some reports.  Maybe even hire a person from the NCAA to make sure the reports are filed properly.

The NCAA won't do it, but the FBI will be happy to take down big name college basketball programs.

utep2step

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Holy Crap. CBS just reported Rick Pitino was just fired. Just wow. Great coach, but a bad decision maker.

In 09 he got xcited because the mens bathroom at a BBQ joint had the extra sheer condoms for twenty five cents and couldn't wait to drive for 10 minutes to a Holiday Inn Express so he led her to the only stall with disposable seat covers.