Author Topic: Just some stats BB  (Read 381 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Just some stats BB
« on: November 25, 2021, 07:10:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Field goal percentage;
    262   UTEP   6   150   359   41.78

Field Goal 5 defense
    175   UTEP   6   117   280   41.786

Off RB /Gm
    Tied w/10 others at 92 -   UTEP   6   72   12.00

Scoring D
    61   UTEP   5   303   60.6

Scoring Off
    213 -   UTEP   6   424   70.7

3pt FG %
    250   UTEP   6   44   142   30.99

Turnovers Forced
    16   UTEP   6   119   19.83

« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:02:03 AM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Just some stats BB
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 09:55:13 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think that the field goal defense percent might continue to be a sore spot for a while.
    This is a high risk high reward defense.  They are continually going for the steal, and the next guy has to jump into the passing lane.  Eventually, if a turnover is not created, there is a good chance that the other team ends up with a layup or open 3.  Our guys are still learning how to play this and some of our bench gets really really lost.  Other approaches to tough defenses focus on forcing poor quality shots vs turnovers.

We have averaged 20 turnovers forced per game.  Our opponents average 42% on 20 fewer shots than they would have had.  The 20th ranked percent defense allows 36%.
    Let's assume 2.5 pts (average between a 2 and a 3).    Our oppenents shoot 47 times per game
    If we played a different type of aggressive D and our opponents turned it over 10 times, they would get at least 10 more shots per game, but at 36%.
    If we just played run of the mill D at #75 they give up 39%

2.5 x 47 x 42% = 49.35
    2.5 x 57 x 36% = 51.3
    2.5 x 57 x 39% = 55.6

So we are 2 points better off than shot denial defense, and 6 points better off than average-ish D.

I don't think the extra defensive effort is really costing us offensively.  I don't think we are worse offensively than we would be under CRT without BW.

But I also don't think that we are where we want to be defensively or offensively.  I just want to see progress through the season on both ends.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 11:12:33 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Great analy Sis!  I am really very torn about this team. I have decided that they may be a tremendous team, one for the ages.  I know I am swinging like a gate on a hinge. But I just realized that if Bienemy and Boum were to both play like they have shown they can for the entire season they might arguably be the best ever to wear a Miners uniform.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 11:26:37 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Best ever what?  Team?  I wouldn't think that.  1965? 1966?  1984-1989?  1992?  2004?

Boum may end up being one of the best SGs, but better than Culpepper, Pony, or Jackson?
    JB best PG?  We have Bobby Jo Hill, Archibald, Hardaway, Stewart in our history.  That's a pretty steep hill to climb.
    Damn good though?  Top 5 in our history?  Possible yes to both.

I think this could be one of the more fun teams to watch, but we won't get to the tourney this year with WKU and UAB in our conference.

This is really frustrating to me.  We could have a great team but we only get to the NCAA tourney if we win CUSA tourney. I absolutely hate how much the NCAA tourney has become skewed to favor the majors.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 11:27:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Combo. The two together playing at the best as we have seen them to be capable of. Offensively, passing, shooting, all around and defensively. The two on the floor at the same time. I think it may be really that good. Those you listed are all better individually. I agree. But as a backcourt combo these two could be really good.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:38:27 AM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 11:40:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Gotcha.  That's an interesting thought.

Off the top of my head, Hardaway-Stewart, Fili-Omar, Jeep-Luster are in the discussion.

This could well be the best combo.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 11:46:54 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think when these two are at their best think defense. These guys are damned tough. So were others. Then think offense. If Bienemy can maintain his outside shooting alongside Boums my goodness!
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 12:06:20 PM by kyyote »

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 12:01:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Fellas,

I freaking love the breakdown.
    Addressing KY, you may be right about the guard combo. We have another year with these two. The only downside is we don't have interior players to assist on O.
    I also agree with Sisy on our D. We have the long quick players to be good at this smothering D. We also have some kids off the bench that are liabilities on this style (Saterfield, White, Sibley, Giffa, & Hollins. Bieniemy, Kennedy, Boum, Verho & Agnew can really make the defense click. Once Sibley & Saterfield figure it out, this is a top defensive team in the country.
    I think our D is coming along well. It's the offense from the big men that needs to improve. While Kennedy is more a glue guy, we see how Bieniemy, Boum, Saterfield, & Sibley can score. These are outside jumpers & cutters. Verho, Kalu, & Mering really need to make an effort on post moves & knowing how to get fouled.
    That being said, we might have a better game against NMSU. If our D continues on the path it is on, I like our chances. As long as our scoring doesn't drop.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.