Author Topic: Media Picks UTEP Last in Division  (Read 465 times)

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
  • Patience Jackass Patience
    • View Profile

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Media Picks UTEP Last in Division
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 06:34:23 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • As they should.  I think we have one conference win between 2018 and now -- a squeaker against Rice.  Dimel has yet to prove he can beat anyone.  To my eyes we are slightly better than we were under Kug, except that Kug had AJ.  But we still suck.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 09:22:45 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agree 100%.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Looking back in my swiss cheese memory, I think that at the time we hired Dimel we all felt that it was a very uninspired vanilla hire.  There was also some thought that the job was so undesireable that our pickin's were pretty slim.  Given that the criteria was obviously "hire someone with D1 experience at least at a similar level to us," he was probably as good as we were going to get with that constraint.  We probably have marginally better talent now, but unless something dramatic happens this year, we will be looking again.

With basketball, UTEP was probably a more desirable destination than for football, even though we were pretty bad.  But we still had the same criteria -- "hire someone with D1 experience at least at a similar level to us," and that didn't really work out either.  I do have to say that I think CRT left us in much better shape from a talent perspective than Floyd did, or than Kug did in football.

Golding represents a departure from that mentality.  Not everyone was excited about the hire, but at least it wasn't hire an unsuccessful retread.  Any coach may not work out, but on paper he appears to have a whole lot more upside than Terry or Dimel.  With the previous mentality, there was no meaningful upside, just an expectation that the potential downside wasn't so bad.   The Golding hire represents a willingness to take a risk for the upside.   I hope the next time we hire a football coach we can take a risk.  Hell, there is no downside from UTEP football for the last 5-6 years.  We can't get much worse.  I still think if we took the D2 national champs in football intact (coaches and players) we would win more CUSA games than we have.  I don't know if the players Kug left us with would have started for North Dakota State

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 12:48:44 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Good post Sisy, you hit the nail on the head. Everything you posted was spot on.

I hope that Dimly can sport a good product this year otherwise he may be looking for another job. He's had his chance at UTEP and I don't think the AD has put any pressure on him. Hopefully, the president coming from the AFA knows about winning football and helps us in the athletic side of college. Fingers crossed.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 01:08:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think Wilson explicitly said the only sport she knows anything about is competitive rowing.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 06:20:54 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Other site (and EP Times) reporting we signed two JC all american defensemen for football -- linebacker and safety  Given how bad most of our defense is, I will assume this is an upgrade.  If we can even be respectable on the opposite side DT from Praise, maybe we can slow down the other teams enough to give our plodding offense a chance.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/2021/07/22/utep-football-roster-james-neal-trejon-hugue-college/8055246002/

Dimel talking big, talking post-season.  Maybe he can make his guys believe it.  Also talking a bit of trash for Kug's talent levels -- very low key and admittedly well deserved.  Saying he stepped into an "unusual situation" and that the program was in an "unusual state" is about as kindly as one can put it so he's showing some class.  It would be unclassy to say that it was a shitshow in the middle of a dumpster fire.  I suppose if we are only one of the two now we are in a better place...

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 09:55:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Damn, Sisy got deep.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 10:38:37 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I still think if we took the D2 national champs in football intact (coaches and players) we would win more CUSA games than we have.  I don't know if the players Kug left us with would have started for North Dakota State

AHEM.

lieb

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You have good reason to crow about your school, Lieb. When we were in search for a new head coach I was in the arena of getting your football coach for the Miners. Unfortunately, the people in charge weren't as smart and lack common sense and they went with a loser of a coach instead and only because he had D1 experience. If that's not stupid I don't know what is. A winning coach has new ideas and could have perhaps could have given UTEP a more respectful program. We didn't get Schiff for our money...at all. I'm giving Dimlit a pass for this year and if he doesn't produce, out he goes. LOL, as if I had any pull in that department.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 02:17:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • To me, it's like this.  Winners win, losers lose, leaders lead, followers follow, and the Peter Principle is always in effect.  Eventually someone rises to the level of their ineptitude.

So you look for someone that had head coaching experience (leaders lead), and has a track record of winning (winners win).  If a head coach has coached at G5 level and not won consistently, he reached his level of ineptitude (Peter Principle).  If he is a lifelong assistant, don't hire him as head coach (followers follow).

So you are left with 1) hire a guy that has won consistently at your level as a head coach, or 2) hire an up and coming head coach that has won consistently at his level.

I realize we have had some success in basketball at 3) hire an up and coming assistant from a power program.  I think that's more viable in basketball than it is in football.  You only have about 15 guys to deal with in basketball, and only 8-10 of them matter.  Football head coaches are managers.  No football head coach should be calling plays.