Author Topic: Charlotte game  (Read 442 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Charlotte game
« on: October 24, 2020, 07:15:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I just read this about Charlotte and it gives me hope:
    Expect the Miners to get after Reynolds without blitzing as the 49ers have allowed eight sacks in three games.

Praise and the other linemen may have a great day.

Also, and you know how rare this is for me, I have to give tons of credit to Dimel for keeping his team COVID-free.  Obviously he has instilled some discipline in them that is lacking from most of the teams this year.  I have to think this is a good sign.

Honestly, if we can figure something out offensively, we can win this -- or maybe the D wins it for us.  Play smart, play hard, come home with a W from the east coast.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Charlotte game
    « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I just realized that the 49ers have a pickaxe on their helmet.  We should try to create a rivalry by having a battle of the pickaxe.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Fairly happy with play calling so far.  Make them stop the run.  The announcers have commented several times on our predictability based on personnel and formation.

Hardison not having a great game again.  I think this is about as good as it gets with him.

Awatt is so much better than Fields I wonder if Dimel will ever acknowledge this.  Making that change might be the difference in this game.  We will see who comes out with a better game plan at half.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 12:37:02 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Can't win a game with 3 turnovers. Defense seems tired now.  Games not over. Still time for team to grow a pair.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Indicating how long I have been a Miners fan for a very long time I can divide games into groups. Wins. Since these are few in number there really isn't any need for subdivisions. Then there are losses. This is where we lost but just lost like normal teams lose. Then there are the disgusting losses and finally there are those when people were yucking it up while having career days setting ncaa records leaving a foul odor clinging like smoke over the field.  Recently there have been few wins and even just normal losses were hard to come by. Mostly the other kind of stinking losses. But I do believe that the team has achieved a level of play that allows for the possibility of winning and losing in a normal way. I'll take it. This is a huge step. I liked that the team including the coaches were trying to win and not just hoping not to be humiliated.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 06:08:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Can't win a game with 3 turnovers. Defense seems tired now.  Games not over. Still time for team to grow a pair.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 06:09:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Glitch in the Matrix

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 08:56:36 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I pretty much agree with Kyy and Chanson. 

This was a loss on the road to a team that's about the same or slightly better than us.  It was just a loss.

I think my analysis from last week is about the same.  Using CUSA as the metric, we have a better than average D, and a worse than average O.

I felt Dimel called a decent first half, then for 20 or so minutes of the second half was just awful.  Then picked it back up again after we were down big.  We have an acceptable QB -- he is pretty good at quick, possession type passes out to about 15 yards.  Beyond that he has no touch at all.  Surely Dimel has to know this by now.  Why is he going deep all the time?   Awatt is WAY better than Fields.  Why does Dimel give away so many plays to Fields?

I don't think Dimel cost us the game -- turnovers did that. But Dimel prevented us from having a chance to get back in it with awful game management and play calling.  The ESPN guys mentioned that we tend to telegraph our runs and they are right. 

I will say this, feel free to argue.  IF we had just slightly better play calling and game management, and tweaked our offense slightly to telegraph the play just a little less we would be at 5-1 right now.

But we are loads better than we have been in about 5 years.  Right now I will take a normal, non-humiliating loss.  if I were a CUSA-level HS player, I would look at us and think this is a school I could be proud to say I play for.  I don't think a lot of 2 star players thought that for the last 5 years.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 10:34:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Cut the turn overs, it's a different ball game. I like the QB, but he's had a few bad games. Kid needs to lift boot straps & grind. He also needs to study more film on defensive formations.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 12:03:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Cut the turn overs, it's a different ball game. I like the QB, but he's had a few bad games. Kid needs to lift boot straps & grind. He also needs to study more film on defensive formations.

Considering he just started first string I'm please with him. We have him for what?...two more years not counting this one. I don't think he'll be like the other QBs where they never improved year after year. This kid plays smart, er, smarter than the others who had more experience. I like him and I think he'll do better with more snaps.