Author Topic: 20-21 Mens Bball shaping up  (Read 1987 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
20-21 Mens Bball shaping up
« on: May 27, 2020, 01:12:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I know a lot of you want to talk football, but 2 seasons with a combined of 2 wins is just not compelling material. So, let's talk round ball.
    It's obvious CRT is not a play off the PG type of coach. Just look at his recruits. He doesn't do true PGs. He wants athletic shooters to learn that position instead of ball handling passers to learn how to shoot. In fact, this style is a contradiction to all coaches before CRT.
    All that aside, because the game is constantly changing & we need to change with it, if we are to be successful. What has changed you ask? Recruiting dynamics, rules, possession times, athleticism, social media, etc. The list goes on.
    All that being said, we may have a silver lining going on here. We had 3 stand out players last year with 2 coming back & 1 graduated. All the others were role playing non-factors. Let's focus on what is here.
    (Bigs)- Williams, Verhoeven, Vila, & Odigie.
    (Mids)- Kennedy, Sjoland, Onema.
    (Sm)- Bieniemy, Boum, White, Hess, & Agnew.
    Williams & Boum we know can ball. Verhoeven got better before our eyes. Odigie & Vila are right there, but haven't turned the corner yet.
    Bieniemy & Sjoland played in superior conferences & I saw clips where they both took over games against big programs. Kennedy is getting the same recognition Williams got when he sat a year. I also saw him play in practice last year & he was incredible. The only player who showed more athleticism was Stroud, but Stroud didn't have any basketball smarts.
    White, Hess, Agnew, Onema, Vila, & Odigie are role players.
    5) Verhoeven
    4) Williams
    3) Kennedy 4☆/Sjoland 3.7☆ (toss up)
    2) Boum
    1) Bieniemy 3.5☆

That's much better than what we had last year & we had a decent team before conference play. Chemistry was compromised because Archie, Hawkins, Tarke, Stroud, & Lathon couldnt stop fighting each other & the coaches for playing time.
    Recruiting still going on. Let's see what transfer CRT can pick up now.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: 20-21 Mens Bball shaping up
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 05:13:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agree with your analysis based on what we actually know at this point.  On paper we have upgraded massively at the 1-3 positions replacing athletes with players.  Many can play two positions.  I think Boum can play 1 or 2.  Kennedy can play 2 or 3.  Possibly Sjolund at 3 or 4.  BW can play 4 or 5.

Bieniemy shot 25% from 3 last year.  CRT will probably give him a green light.  Do we know if he will be eligible?  If not then it's all on Boum, who I think can handle it, but does cost us depth.

Outside of him, we should be much better from 3 which is important because the sum total of our offense is pass around the perimeter and either jack up a 3 or pass to BW.  If we can hit some 3s that will stop the triple team on BW.

IDK.  Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised to learn that last year's problems weren't caused by CRT.    Maybe Vila will grow a pair.  Maybe Verhoeven will eat Efe's cheeseburgers and he can put on some pounds and Efe can lose a few.

There were mainly two things going on last year and it's hard to know how much to put on the guys that left and how much to put on the guys that stayed, including coach. First is after several games the other teams figured out how to defend us and we couldn't adjust.  Players or coach?  Second is obvious discord issues.  Again, players or coach?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:26:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sisy, you & I think a lot alike. The Bieniemy element is very mixed throughout what I'm reading. NCAA rules say he has to wait a year, however this COVID thing along with family issues in Houston suggest he will be given a break. A lot of circumstances are being accommodated for a lot of kids. No rulings given yet, but I would put my money lots of breaks being given.
    If Bieniemy must sit, White & Agnew will be forced to step up & that is not ideal. However, the strength of the other positions should still give this team the edge.
    Like Sisy said, we lost athletes & replaced them with basketball talent & IQ. This is the silver lining I'm talking about.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agnew may have to sit too with Bieniemy. N Alabama is a Div 1 team not a JUCO; he'll need a waiver as well to play next year. I believe Sjolund red-shirted last year at GT and has best chance at playing next year. Ezeagu just got cleared by K State with similar circumstances redshirting.

Sisy, you & I think a lot alike. The Bieniemy element is very mixed throughout what I'm reading. NCAA rules say he has to wait a year, however this COVID thing along with family issues in Houston suggest he will be given a break. A lot of circumstances are being accommodated for a lot of kids. No rulings given yet, but I would put my money lots of breaks being given.
    If Bieniemy must sit, White & Agnew will be forced to step up & that is not ideal. However, the strength of the other positions should still give this team the edge.
    Like Sisy said, we lost athletes & replaced them with basketball talent & IQ. This is the silver lining I'm talking about.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Ezeagu wanted to leave early on well before Covid. Those who left after Covid have a case. They were not given a chance to compete in play off & possible championship. Those kids lost a year of eligibility. We'll see what NCAA does.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 09:24:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
    We'll see what NCAA does.

We'll see what the P5 conferences tell the NCAA is going to happen...

Fortunately in this case what is best for them is likely also best for us.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 02:19:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I saw 5☆ 7' C Makur Maker committed to Howard U. If you dont know who this kid is, he was being recruited by UTEP & there is always that Lotto chance we might get him. Kid moves like Arnette Moultrey with the ball & has a good jumper.
    Anyway, I don't see anything going on with UTEP sport right now.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 06:54:11 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • 6-5 Serbian PG signs and there's no comments?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 10:03:10 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sorry. End of month with work & was not able to check on UTEP activity.
    Looking into this 21 year old freshman we picked up & he looks like he has the experience of a Jr. I know a few big schools were looking at him & may have dropped interest because of the whole Euro transfer issues.
    Well, I hope that's the case & I hope we got a hidden gem.
    The kid is a PG & we need this type of player. I saw some film & I saw more shooting & shake n bake than passing/team distribution.
    I love his 6'5" size & 200lb frame.
    Not only do I want our team to do well, but Williams deserves a better team than the shit sandwich of a team he had last year. The team was great on paper, but couldnt get out of their own way. Archie couldnt play worth a damn & the Lathon/Hawkins battle stripped the cohesion off the teams bones.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 06:51:48 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Pretty much agree.  I feel like it's a nice signing, but we still don't have a PG that has ever played a single minute of D1 if I am remembering correctly.  Seems like a very long time ago.

Someone on the radio said they hope 2020 is like a mullet -- party on the backside...  It isn't really looking that way however.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:40:00 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • As more time has gone, it seems Bieniemy looks to be sitting this year. CRT picking up the Serbian strengthens that theory.
    5) Verhoeven
    4) Williams
    3) Kennedy/Sjoland
    2) Boum
    1) Vilikic
    Like I mentioned before, I saw Vilikic shoot & move with the ball & he looks good. Euro kids usually make up for athleticism with smarts, fundamentals, & shooting. I truly hope that is the case, because that particular position needs more of this than athleticism.
    I like our back ups for the 4 & 5 positions, but I am not sold on the back ups at the 1, 2, & 3. White, Hess, & Agnew have lots to prove.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 06:46:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Euro kids usually make up for athleticism with smarts, fundamentals, & shooting.

I kept expecting that from Vila but it never happened.  Here's hoping he was a one-off.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 12:04:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, looking at my projected line up of Verhoeven, Williams, Kennedy/Sjoland, Boum, & Vulikic, I think it doesnt look bad on paper. If Bieniemy was the PG, I'd say we are a top 3 team in CUSA.
    I think we have the best big men combos in the conference with Williams, Verho, Vila, & Odigie with Onyema getting his feet wet. Kennedy & Sjoland are very good mid players that can share the load between the 2 & 4. Like I said before, I saw Kennedy play last year during open gym & he is creative & athletic. He is the reason for Stroud & Tarke leaving. I also saw Sjoland take over a couple of games at Georgia Tech as a freshman. He has good fundamentals in the paint & a good stroke shooting from the perimeter. These 2 are going to be impressive if the point can drive & dish. Boum we know can play with a high motor & is streaky from the outside.
    The question is the point and the depth of combo guards.
    Also, I hope CRT can get these kids to like each other as opposed to fighting & wanting attention. He needs to take a page from Coach Beard.
    Beard also has a piece meal team, but he was able to get his kids focused & took them to the promise land.
    The days of getting talent here & just holding then accountable is over. Social Media, 1 & done's, poaching, etc are a huge part of the college game now & that MUST be addressed on a daily.
    No longer is it what you coach, but how you coach. That my freinds is what the coaches, not the athletes, need to change.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Read that coach Thompson from Georgetown passed today. I was a huge fan of his & also knew he was a fan of The Bear. Sad to hear about the loss. Hope ESPN does a few big games from Georgetown's past.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 01:41:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He was a good coach.  There were some amazing games between G'town and UTEP in the 80s

OT, but you know it may be quiet here, but that's better than the dumpster fire at the other place...