SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Archie
« on: April 16, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • And now Archie is leaving.  At some point don't you have to look at the coach?

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Archie
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I just saw the news too. Thought Archie had potential but was somewhat of a bull in the china shop running over people. Terry has built a dumpster fire.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 03:27:41 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Unbelievable. This was the kid I was happy we kept. He had a motor & with a little more confidence, he looked to be helping with scoring.
    Only 2 starters coming back from last season & we only had 1 player who was a Sr. 
    I am noticing a trend here. Those who were not an offensive threat are leaving not to mention couldnt take care of the ball.
    That being said, we only have 2 proven scorer's in Williams & Boum coming back.
    I'm still pretty pist so many kids are leaving & It says too much about Terry.
    1) Kids dont trust him
    2) Terry can't recruit to build
    3) Terry can't coach kids to his style of play
    4) Asst Coaches are not adequate or not allowed to be
    5) Sense of any type of loyalty is not practiced or taught

Dont get me started on scheduling, win/loss ratios, lack of Xs & Os strategies, etc. Not to mention this is the 3rd year in Terry's 3yr tenure that his team is re-building.
    If you ask me, this activity is consistent with UTEP being his temporary solution to move on to a school as quickly as possible. It ain't workin like he thought it would.
    « Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:29:53 PM by Chanson »
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 04:43:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Now McGriff decides he doesn't want to come to UTEP. At this point we have a dumpster fire that has been going on since the beginning of the basketball year.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 06:04:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He's going to the school that new signee guard Adam Hess went to, Salt Lake CC. A really good JUCO program. I'm curious what the story is.

Terry's running short on time and players for next year. So disappointed in him.

https://twitter.com/quincy_mcgriff/status/1251352610126172161/photo/1

Now McGriff decides he doesn't want to come to UTEP. At this point we have a dumpster fire that has been going on since the beginning of the basketball year.

Miner91

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Is McGriff?s change due more to grades than Terry and UTEP? If he is eligible to play next year I don?t see him going the juco route.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 09:37:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't know and hope someone here does. But that theory sounds pretty plausible.  communication from the athletic dept to the fans would be nice.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 10:51:58 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish...with a side of horsecock.

ATL-Miner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 11:09:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Miners add another transfer, 6' 8" Forward Kristian Sjolund, redshirt Soph from Georgia Tech.

https://krod.com/georgia-tech-basketball-transfer-kristan-sjolund-commits-to-utep/

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 11:36:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Miners add another transfer, 6' 8" Forward Kristian Sjolund, redshirt Soph from Georgia Tech.

https://krod.com/georgia-tech-basketball-transfer-kristan-sjolund-commits-to-utep/

It's a start.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 12:03:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agree, this is a needed position.  If we can pick up an acceptable PG we have a chance to be OK.  Still lots of assumptions regarding Kennedy, Hess, etc.  I thought Boum got more consistent as the year went on.  I'm going to tell myself everyone that left was part of the problem and it will all be rainbows and unicorns from now on.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 11:17:38 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

I saw a video of Kristan and even though he has a weird form when he shoots he doesn't waste time lobbing the ball to the hoop. I wonder what his shooting percentage is, because even if a player plays in a minor league or lower division the percentage is what matters. You all remember that guard we had that could enter the no go zone and lob a layup but most of the time couldn't make the shot. That's where percentage comes into play. Anyone can shoot but the good players MAKE the shot and that's what counts. Those people that just had to be the one to shoot we used to call them the "yo shooteo", slang for "ill shoot". Needless to say most of the time they missed but wanted to be the hero.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 06:25:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • we called them a black hole.  once the ball goes in it never comes back out

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 11:47:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I saw Sjoland on YouTube. I've got to say that he looks like an improvement over Archie. A little taller, just as athletic, has serious hops, & can flat out shoot the ball. I'm betting Pastner has him Red Shirt because the kid needed to get stronger to keep up with the speed & strength of ACC players.
    While I'm OK with the pick up, I am very concerned we can't land a guard or 2 that have skills. I'm actually with a kid who can't shoot, but has ball skills in regards to passing, security, & dribble. A kid like that can always get someone else to score.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 08:01:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I've been thinking about the PG situation, and if Kennedy (and as backup Hess) is for real as SG, I think I would be OK with Boum at PG.  He drives the paint really well, and it just seemed like the more the ball was in his hands the better he played.  I like his shot, but he was a bit inconsistent.  Maybe at PG he wouldn't have a shoot first mentality and might hit a higher percentage because of better shot selection.  I'm kind of intrigued by this.  At any given moment does he drive and shoot, drive and dish to Williams / Efe, drive and kick out to Kennedy, pull up and shoot?  He was listed as a PG out of high school.

Of course if we can get a quality PG transfer I would still like that.