Author Topic: March Madness  (Read 1655 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
March Madness
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • March has done it once again.
    I am mad.
    I know the title implies crazy, but this elimination of sports has really pissed me off. I love sports, in particular this time of year when I close myself off from standard family and gather with those who share the same passion. Because sports is shut down, I discovered I have a wife and 2 sons that say they sit in the same den watching with me. I didn't believe it at 1st, but I slowly came to my senses.
    Yes, I am happy we still retain the title of only Mens D1 basketball team to win it all in TX, but I have to admit that not seeing other TX teams trying to do the same is worse. I'm OK with another TX winning it, as long as I can enjoy another March Madness.
    My youngest boy is in soccer and is on a dominant team that  has been shut down. My oldest boy is a Sr & the captain of his High School Tennis team & has a legit chance in going to State, but it was shut down. Public schools are saying school may be over this year & use grades currently as a final. My oldest will not be able to here his name called because graduation ceremonies will not happen.

So yes, I am mad.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: March Madness
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We are at war.  It is a different kind of war, but it is war and war is Hell.  Worst of all is that we are used to wars, but this one is different from any we have ever seen.  It could be worse.  It probably will.  But all of those things will become part of their stories and our stories. 

On a brighter note, if the 2020 football season is canceled it counts on Dimel's contract, right.  He can't lose 12 games if they aren't played.  Wait!  That doesn't mean that he could get an extension because his won/loss record wasn't as bad as it would have been, right?  Shit!  I can see that doofy grin while he says, "I didn't lose a single game in 2020!  I told you to trust the process."

On another another note, social distancing is something that UTEP football fans have gotten some practice at, recently.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, this was my last semester of teaching.  Little did I realize when I met with my classes before spring break, that that would be the last time I would see them.

SHSU has moved to online courses for the rest of the semester.  I am thankful that I have prior experience teaching online math courses, so I am not freaking out the way many of my fellow professors (some of whom still use paper and pencil grade books).  But never in my wildest dreams did I imagine my last semester taking this path.

So, I am mad, but more than a little sad.

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not at all how it should have been.  Both you and your students got gypped.  There are teachers all over the country going out with a fizzle when there should have been a bang.  And so many other stories and situations that we can't imagine.  Death is death.  Very final.  But it may be that what this virus does may be worse in many ways.  It has stolen so much.  Things of enormous value that we don't even realize are gone.  I hope that like all wars that when it is over we find out that there were heroes and selfless acts of humanity, maybe more than that.  I have a feeling that like this new, strange war we will find that there will be new kinds of heroism and lessons learned-in ways we never would have imagined.

I am sad for you.  But, like a HOF athlete who blows out his knee in his final season, the disappointment and victory lap may have been denied, but the years of hard work-your legacy, can never be taken from you.  You have made your mark and it will last long after we are all gone.  It may be that your best year of teaching will be in teaching your peers how to get through adversity.  It could be worse.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 09:30:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, this was my last semester of teaching.  Little did I realize when I met with my classes before spring break, that that would be the last time I would see them.

SHSU has moved to online courses for the rest of the semester.  I am thankful that I have prior experience teaching online math courses, so I am not freaking out the way many of my fellow professors (some of whom still use paper and pencil grade books).  But never in my wildest dreams did I imagine my last semester taking this path.

lieb

Seriously, a shitty way to go. My kid can at least look forward to college. You and your kids deserve more. Seeing the kids experience that Ah Ha moment is what we live for. I hope the end turns out better, Lieb.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 09:52:02 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My wife is a 7th grade English teacher and is really upset she won't see the kids for several weeks at the very least.

Given all known and current data, this does appear to need to be taken seriously, and I don't think it's right to second guess everyone in leadership at all levels who are making the best calls they can.  Right now in terms of contagion and death rates it is similar to Spanish Flu which was very serious indeed.

But after it's all over, we need to look back and decide in the future how far are we willing to go to stop something like this, and what is the criteria that would kick off what level of response.

BTW, with Dimel still at HC, I think no season would be preferable to the season I expect to see.  But it should all be over by then.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 10:01:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This really sucks, and not just for the people that contract the virus. Last week I had to tell my seniors that they may have played their last tennis match. Right now the season is still a go for April 10 but I have my doubts. It also sucks for all the seniors in my economics/government classes. They will most likely not have a prom or even get to walk across the stage at a graduation ceremony. I am in totally agreement that we need to do the things that are being done to limit exposure and keep the contraction rates down. I was seriously considering submitting for retirement after spring break but I came to realize how lucky I am to have the job that I do. Our world has changed and I am just hopeful that it is for the better and we needed this to wake up.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 10:21:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I teach high school math, my second career and 11th year of teaching.  I was a data analyst for over 30 years and retired.  I got bored with staying home so I substituted in the school system.  I learned I enjoyed working with kids and then got certified to teach math, science and engineering.  I currently teach Geometry, Algebra II Pre-AP, and Advanced Quantitative Reasoning. 

I've worked with computers in college and beyond so adapting to teaching online is not a big deal.  I already make assignments on the net with students submitting assignments electronically and taking quizzes and exams online on their phones or computers.  What's sad is that I know a fourth of my students may not be able to complete their work at home because they don't have internet.  They usually do their work at school using the library computers.  It's because I teach at a low income school.  About 85% of the students qualify for the free lunch program.  Students look forward to coming to class and are comfortable with their teachers and school environment.   

I had planned to keep on teaching but this covid-19 virus has me worried because of my age: 71.  I had planned to teach as long as I was healthy.  This possibility of being vulnerable to this disease has me worried.  Thus, I will probably retire this summer. 

One of my students is an outstanding athlete and extremely bright.  He will be a senior next year.  He already has solid scholarship offers from Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Arizona, TCU and Notre Dame.  Michigan and some California schools are becoming interested in him.  I will miss seeing him play and graduate. 

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 07:06:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think it is hard for others to understand the connection good teachers have with their students.  Our students become our own children in some ways.  I am so sorry for you and them. 

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 09:35:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

lieb

Sorry to hear that Lieb.

I am still on campus, and will be until the UT System says we have to leave. My bosses don't think we need to work from home.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 09:45:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have always been stunned by the stupidity from the places that should be the last place you would expect stupidity.  Self isolate yourself at work if you can.  Do what you can to mitigate the risk.  Take care my friend.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 04:12:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • All high school sports in Texas are on hold until May 4th at the earliest. IMO I think all high school sports in Texas are done for the year.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 11:14:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Starting Monday, I will get to tele-commute for the next dew weeks. The ol' lady is happy.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 02:43:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Excellent!

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 03:58:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I've worked from home for 15 years.  I travel a lot, but when I'm home its normally just me and the dogs.  Now I've got a house full of people that want my attention while I'm trying to work.  Just like when I was in the office...