Author Topic: Terry Plays Players Why?  (Read 478 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Terry Plays Players Why?
« on: February 07, 2020, 02:18:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Reading about why Ezeagu transferred Terry said something to the effect that there is just 80 minutes a game for players down low and that is why he had Ezeagu redshirt and then Ezeagu decided he wasn't going to get much playing time.  Kansas State was glad to have him.  So, basically he was good enough for the B12 but not good enough to see the floor for the Miners.  OK.  That can happen, right?  I mean if we have two or three, maybe 4 awesome big men, I can see where he wouldn't be able to break into the lineup or even come off the bench. 

The way I understand it, Terry usually plays a 2 forward and three guard lineup.  Since Williams is a forward, of course he gets as many of the forty minutes as he can play.  Which leaves, let's say 50 minutes of the 80 minutes for other forwards, allowing for 10 minutes of rest and sitting due to fouls.

So when I go to the UTEP basketball roster, there are 5 forwards, Verhoeven, Williams, Vila, Odigie, and Dekoninck, two guard/forwards, Tarke, and Campbell, a single center Rhyanes , and 9 guards, Boum, Lathon, Stroud, Williamson, Archie, Medrano, Kennedy, Hawkins, and Edwards.

The center, Rhyanes, is a redshirt senior from El Paso, so just scratch his name off of the list.  Now the roster is down to 16.  Campbell is also a redshirt senior, and Edwards is a grad student.  Campbell has only seen action in one game.  He also is there for practice, grades, whatever.  Medrano, and Williamson also have seen action in just one game.  Tarke has played in 11 games.

Stroud and Archie have played in 16 and 19 games respectively.

Williams, Boum, and Edwards have played in 24 games, Hawkins and Vila have played in 23, Odigie, Lathon, and Verhoeven  have been in 22.
    Back to the 50 minutes or so.  Vila, Odigie, Verhoeven and Dekonick are the forwards, and Tarke and Campbell are guard/forwards, but Campbell has only played in one game and Tarke just 11 games.  That leaves Vila, Odigie, and Verhoeven mostly dividing up the 50 minutes.

Vila is Terry's go to guy.  He averages 22+minutes a game.  Odigie gets 14, and Verhoeven 10 which is 46 minutes, basically the 50 minutes.

So, let's look at ppg, rebounds/game, blks, fg%,and assists to turnovers for these three.

Vila                    3.3  5.4   5   .276     48/32       

Odigie                6.8   4.1  3    .514    9/24   

Verhoeven          1.2   1.5  6    .600    9/7   

Now let's look at what the numbers might be if their minutes were equal at 22 minutes.  Vila's would be the same as above

Vila                    3.3  5.4   5   .276     48/32   
    Odigie              11.8  7.1   5   .514     16/44   
    Verhoeven          2.4   3    12  .600     18/14   
    My numbers above are approximations for Odigie and Verhoeven.

Vila can't score if he paid 100 dollars at the Bunny Ranch in Nevada.  But his assists to turnover ration is very good.  Odigie outscores Vila at almost a 4 to 1 rate, is a better rebounder, shoots for a much, much better percentage but doesn't get the assists and turns the ball over more.  Verhoeven is a combination or the worst of both players.  He also can't score or get a board unless it is by accident but blocks shots and his assist to turnovers is good but not much of a factor.

I was kind of bummed about Odigie's assists to turnovers ratio but then I saw Williams' and his is 17 to 54.  But he is a blocking machine with 23 to go along with his 7 rebounds a game.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Terry Plays Players Why?
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 03:18:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I've given up on figuring out what the hell he's doing with his substitutions.  It's pretty clear math isn't his thing.  Or winning games isn't the most important thing to him.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 09:35:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So  I think by now it's obvious we have few actual players on the team.  There are several athletes.  The players are Williams, Boum, Edwards, and to some degree Efe.  The rest are athletes and not very good players.

The coach is utterly clueless.  We literally have no answer for a zone defense.  No competent coach fails to have an offensive set for facing a zone.  His patterns of who he plays is bizarre at best.

We thought we were getting a good recruiter.  I now question that.  We can do better.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:45:38 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • For a change, I'm good with the talent. I question the coaches not changing things up & put these kids 8n the right position to win. Other teams look at film & figured the Miners out, while out coaches have not. Also, I am convinced we are losing big games, because we dont have a good PG. Lathon & Hawkins are not PGs & its hurting us. The PG is supposed to be the glue that allows the teams talents to win games. At least Floyd knew that and brought in talents like Streeter & Artis. Put that PG talent with what we have and I guarantee wins. That being said, both Artis & Streeter were almost mid 20s when they player, where Hawkins & Lathon are about 19. None the less, they've never played the 1 and D1 play will not except there shooting at the 2.
    Conclusion: UTEP needs a PG badly and needs to replace those two with better shooters.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 02:42:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I turned the game off in the 2nd half because I couldn't take the coaching.  I have watched bad teams play and I don't mind if I see what they are trying to do with what they have.  I enjoyed the 6-24 Gillispie team, and the 14-17 Barbee team because I could see where things were going.

Terry doesnt have it offensively.  Defensively, this team is pretty fun to watch.  If he can pick up an assistant that can do the offensive Xs and Os maybe it will be OK.
    With better shooters and a better PG his offense will work, except when it doesn't.  If we had a PG and shooting guards that were hitting at 35-40% we would be near the top of the league.

It's just really upsetting to me to see a coach do things that hurt his team, and to be unable to make minor tweaks that would help him.  I don't know if a 25 win season next season would get me back on the Terry train.  Once you've seen the emperor naked, it's hard to go back to pretending he has clothes.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • fuck 'em and feed 'em fish.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 11:22:40 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm not sure I agree with the feed 'em fish part.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 01:08:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Will someone stop that echo at the end of the threads? Please.