Author Topic: Fans Can Go Hear Dimel Talk About Recruits At 5:30 PM  (Read 1370 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Fans Can Go Hear Dimel Talk About Recruits At 5:30 PM
« on: February 05, 2020, 01:25:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • and he will talk about the focus of the recruiting and what to expect on the field.

Read all about this event, here;

https://elpasoheraldpost.com/utep-football-signing-day-celebration-set-for-february-5/

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Fans Can Go Hear Dimel Talk About Recruits At 5:30 PM
    « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 06:23:58 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What would Dimel's team have to do next year to convince anyone he should be give a year 4?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 07:11:30 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Win.  Not the time of possession.  Games.  Maybe stop running an offense that is based on winning time of possession instead of football games.  He is 2 and 22 so he needs to win at least 5  of 12 to get to 7 and 29 which is still less than 25% of his games and lousy enough to get any coach fired.  But we are UTEP.  Win 5 games and we will figure you might be on the right track rather than just saying another 5 and 7 season like any other team would be judged.  The better question might be what does he have to do to convince the power people in El Paso to run his ass off.  Zero wins?  One or two wins?  Show improvement by winning a game versus a FBS level team?  Not suck!  Not have the Sun Bowl sitting empty watching another loss?  Wipe the stupid smile off of his face while he has a one win season?  Stop blowing smoke up people's ass?
    « Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:52:56 AM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This is a very tough schedule.  5 wins would convince me something is going right.

Interesting that he's going JC route.  I would have been OK if he had gone JC in year 1 with the idea that we are going to win now, and that will help us get the recruits we need for the future.

He said he is looking at a graduate transfer dual threat QB.   Evidently he still doesn't believe he has a QB that can run the system.  But lets say the grad transfer QB gets us to 5 wins.  What happens the next year?  Back to 1 win?

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He said he is looking at a graduate transfer dual threat QB.   Evidently he still doesn't believe he has a QB that can run the system.  But lets say the grad transfer QB gets us to 5 wins.  What happens the next year?  Back to 1 win?

Or even worse, on ESPN600 yesterday, Kappy said there is a rumor that Brandon Jones is possibly trying to get a medical waiver for one more year.  Worst case scenario is we get a Senior Grad Transfer QB taking most snaps, with Senior Brandon Jones then playing the back-up role.  As a result our two young QB's don't get the experience needed and we waste yet another season by not truly developing a young QB.

I think Dimel's only shot at seeing year 4(aside from the obvious of winning games), is by trying to play the young guys and show some momentum by the end of the year(similar to what Rice did at the end of last year).  If we have a young QB(Goodwin, possibly Hardison) starting to turn the corner in the second half of the season and we have Hankins(maybe even Eldridge) starting show a lot of promise/production as well, and our revamped defense starts to play like they did two years ago, then maybe there might be enough positive momentum that enables Dimel to see year 4.  Because you would then have a lot of pieces in place for the following season.  That might take some of the sting off another bad W/L record.  But if Dimel instead gets mediocre W/L results with another set of Senior QB's and Senior RB's(Wadley and Fields), like he did last year with Locksley, Jones, Hughes, etc., then I just don't see there being any possible case for defending another poor W/L record.
    « Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 10:13:32 AM by UTEPDefense »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 10:54:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It kinda feels wrong to say it, but arguably we could have been in a bowl and not having this conversation at all if we had a legit QB last year.

The lack of one really exposed the lack of gameday skills of our staff.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 01:08:41 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yet, Locksley was originally signed by Texas-as a quarterback.  They did want to switch him to wide receiver, but let's face it, the Longhorns have a fistful of the best quarterbacks to choose from every year.  So Locksley went to AZ Western CC but was only there for a semester because the scheme didn't fit and transferred to Iowa Western CC where he was 9-1 as a starter, had 2238 yards passing and 705 yards rushing with 40 TD's and only 6 Int's  completing 66.4% of his passes.  Seems like as good a quarterback as we have ever had.

Dimel and his offensive scheme made him mediocre at running and passing, both, completing just 49% of his passes for 937 yards, 3 touchdowns and nine interceptions, rushing the ball 111 times for 340 yards  and a 1-11 record. 

Do you wonder what he might have been able to do under a Mike Price offense?  I do.  Amazingly, Dimel, stayed the course for the past two years, even with a JC All=American quarterback.  It wasn't because we didn't have any talent at quarterback.  That ain't it.  We also had a damned good running back and a line built by the Steelers offensive line coach to block for that back.  But, noooooo.  Dimel ran his offense.  For 2 wins and 22 losses.  You, I, and El Paso high school coach could have won more games using a different offense.  Sorry, there is no excuse for the past two years of bad football.  We went from one stubborn head coach to another and the second one is just not too bright.  At least Kugler could run the ball and just needed to pass.  Dimel has found a way to screw them both up.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Dimel.  But I'm no Locksley fan either.  IMO we had a mediocre to bad coach calling plays for a mediocre at best QB.  Since the mediocre coach is still here, our best hope is to upgrade QB.

Can we at least get a commitment from Dimel for no more wildcat?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 04:53:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Dimel will not change.  What he is trying to do is change the quarterback that set all of the El Paso passing records to a receiver and the NM kid from Hobbs who set all of the NM passing records to a running quarterback. Trust the process is the new mantra from Dimel.  We are doing fine, and right on track, says Dimel.  Trust the process.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 10:06:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Here is a 41 minute video of Dimel talking about each member of this year?s signing class:

https://kfoxtv.com/sports/miners-all-access/maa-utep-football-adds-to-2020-signing-class

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 07:48:43 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I didn't listen, but read a few summaries.  If anyone did listen and wants to correct anything, please do.

1.  Dimel thinks he is going to be OK on the O Line with his players moving into those positions.
    2.  He wanted tight ends.
    3.  He didn't feel they were in an OK situation on the D which is why they hit the JC route.
    4.  Hardison will have the opportunity to win the starting position, but Goodwin has the dual threat skills they are looking for, just uncertain whether he is ready for it.  Looking for a grad transfer to step in for a year, then presumably it becomes Goodwin's team.

5.  Trust the plan

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 08:53:54 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If he is looking for a grad transfer to QB for a year, then that means he has not resolved the issue. This is a band aid mentality, which means another year of crap. I'll go see the Tech game, only because my son will be a student there.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 09:42:34 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If he is looking for a grad transfer to QB for a year, then that means he has not resolved the issue. This is a band aid mentality, which means another year of crap. I'll go see the Tech game, only because my son will be a student there.

That's how I read it too, but a legit dual threat QB would help a lot.  If Goodwin is really ready in 2021 may be OK, but I haven't seen anything that would suggest Dimel could pick a good QB.  Presumably he thought he was OK going into this year.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 10:23:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Dimel showed a ton of flaws in year two which have already been covered in depth.  But when I look over the roster, there "might" be a pathway/light at the end of the tunnel, which shows that he is potentially building a program(again only speaking about the roster foundation.)  Even 1/3rd of the JC guys that he signed this year have 3 seasons left to play.

Dimel claims that he rebuilt Houston's roster, which is what allowed Briles to come in and have a winning season in his very first year(and common sense says that a winning season in year one probably would not have happened unless he inherited some type of a quality roster).  But even if Dimel is correct, that he re-built that roster for the success that it eventually had, the fact is that he could not win himself and one has to wonder if history might repeat itself?   If Dimel does in fact rebuild this UTEP roster, will he be productive enough on the field to ever see his rebuilt roster win?, or will our next coach be the one that benefits and looks better from the start?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 10:46:10 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Trust the process. 

So far, the process involves not winning real games.  The process is taking an All-American quarterback and changing him into an interception machine that can't complete half of his passes and runs a little bit.  The process is using running backs that are damned good as a change up from running the quarterback.  The process is to throw passes that are another way of running the ball, with a receiver.  The process is telling everyone that you inherited nothing and it will take 5 to 7 years of losing for the process to process.  The process is holding onto the ball instead of scoring points.  The process is driving attendance below 15 thousand a game(which does cut down on the witnesses and frustration).  The process is starving UTEP football fans of winning football, so that others can enjoy a game in comfort of boxes during the holidays watching real football teams from other towns and other universities play football.  Trust the process means getting record setting passing quarterbacks and trying to teach them how to be running backs.  Trust the process means allowing the coach to blow smoke up your ass for years and smiling happily as he does it.

There is a process called scoring more than the opponent and having more points on the scoreboard when the time runs out.  That is the process 129 schools use in the NCAA football division we are part of.  But that is a different process.  Dimel doesn't trust that one.

Trust the process where the head coach gets 3/4 of a million dollars a year to tell you to "Trust the process."  This saying of the words works so well that at UTEP the basketball coach has decided, heck, it works for that guy so I am going with it, too. 

I suggest that all people who are failing at their jobs, businesses, all kids failing at school, just tell their bosses, teachers, and parents to, "Trust the process."  Hell, tell your wife, "Trust the process."   Tell your children, "Trust the process."

I wish someone would stick a red hot fire poker up Dimel's ass and tell him to "Trust the process."
    « Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 10:50:34 AM by kyyote »