• View Profile
Efe
« on: January 30, 2020, 09:46:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Efe Odigie
    FG     3pt     Rebounds     Assists      Points
    6-12  1-1        10                0            15

I am just going to go with the positive and say I am really happy to have seen him get to play.  He gives the team another inside option, rebounds, and I believe his energy is infectious. 

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Efe
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 06:40:29 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Efe played very well.  Is he capable of dunking? Would be nice to see a monster jam -- go up strong and hard.  I suspect he's still not in proper aerobic condition.

I was actually really happy with a number of things I saw last night even though we only beat a bad team by one at home.

Terry actually modified his offense.  Not just who was on the court, but the actual offense was modified.  For the first time I saw some off-ball screens.  This is huge for me and gives me hope that maybe Terry isn't just a one trick pony.

The combo of Efe and Williams lets a lot of things happen.  Letting Williams play the 4 opens up lots of things.  IMO this can and should be what we work with from now on.  This can be tweaked and modified to give Williams and Boum opportunities to score.  If we had shot even at our season average from 2 pt range we would have clobbered them.

I like Stroud, even though he turned it over a lot and gets lost.  I think time and experience will help with that. 
    Increasingly down on Lathon.  Vila is Jekyl and Hyde.  Game to game will we get player Vila or scrub Vila?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 07:04:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm not sure he can dunk but he can make a layup even if it takes two or three times.  :)  I have thought he should be starting since the start of the season.  When I think Efe, Verhoeven, or Vila it isn't even a close call.  Monster jam from Efe?  I don't know, but the strong and hard part he damned sure can do.  He is a force down low.  He moves tall skinny kids like they aren't even there.  And he gets up an d down the floor pretty danged well.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 07:16:19 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He makes strong moves, but when he goes up for his shot he goes up soft.  He has to learn to jump strong and shoot soft. 

He is only a sophomore.  So is Boum, Verhoeven, Lathon, Hawkins, and Archie.  I think we allow ourselves to forget this.  We see flashes of what they are capable of and think they should do it every night.  At our level, it's really common for a player to have a strong freshman year and seemingly take a step back their sophomore year.  There's a reason why the phrase "sophomore slump" exists.

We may need to give everyone a break -- including coach -- when you don't have any consistency from the players from night to night.  Consistency is just lacking in the sophomores and freshmen.

IMO, even Hardaway didn't look all that amazing his sophomore season.  His junior year he was ready to dominate.  We may all be blown away next year when these sophomores are upperclassmen, and CRT may look like the next Barbee.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 08:35:36 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I can't argue with that.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 12:49:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I really hope you're right Sisy. If you are then their junior years would be great and with a year playing together that can't hurt.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 01:36:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • A win is a win. It should not have come that close towards the end, but it's a win.
    Williams- stud
    Verhoeven- getting better.
    Vila- WTF are you doing?
    Odigie- good production. Needs to tighten up on interior D.
    Archie- good hustle, seems like he is still finding himself
    Stroud- exciting player. Keep working on ball security.
    Edwards- needs to shoot more
    Boum- needs to hit open jumpers. Until then keep driving
    Hawkins- also getting better every game. Needs to hit shots
    Lathon- kid doesn't look like he is having fun. He'll be gone
    Tarke- ?

"He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 05:06:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • How is Hawkins getting better every game? Just curious. I don't see it.

A win is a win. It should not have come that close towards the end, but it's a win.
    Williams- stud
    Verhoeven- getting better.
    Vila- WTF are you doing?
    Odigie- good production. Needs to tighten up on interior D.
    Archie- good hustle, seems like he is still finding himself
    Stroud- exciting player. Keep working on ball security.
    Edwards- needs to shoot more
    Boum- needs to hit open jumpers. Until then keep driving
    Hawkins- also getting better every game. Needs to hit shots
    Lathon- kid doesn't look like he is having fun. He'll be gone
    Tarke- ?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 03:44:58 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Good question.
    His job is the 1. Its his job to find the hot hand and and be patiant. He is securing the ball much better & keep the turn overs at a minimum. His defense has also improved. I'm just as upset with him because of lack of scoring, but he is getting better at the position.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 03:50:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hawkins > Lathon.  That's not saying a whole lot, but the offense stagnates horribly when Lathon is point, and it somewhat functions with Hawkins.  With a better PG, we might be sitting on just a couple losses.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 08:28:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, I'm at the UAB game & William's is sucking big ass on defense. The team can't get it together & William's is leading that charge. Terrible interior D.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 09:05:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was only able to tune in for the last couple minutes.  I was surprised at the lineup at that point, but I suppose CRT had already given up.

Very interested to hear what y'all have to say about what happened.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 09:07:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, he failed miserably at his job tonight. (I know, one game doesn't make a season). But from the opening minutes up to earning the T pushing the guy to the ground after he already fouled him. He just didn't have it tonight.

Really disappointed in this team. Turnovers and abysmal shooting in the 2nd half really put us out of it, again.

Good question.
    His job is the 1. Its his job to find the hot hand and and be patiant. He is securing the ball much better & keep the turn overs at a minimum. His defense has also improved. I'm just as upset with him because of lack of scoring, but he is getting better at the position.
    « Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:31:26 PM by ATL-Miner »

ATL-Miner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 09:11:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hawkings = Lathon. There, I fixed it for you. jk

Offense with both was pretty bad, although Lathon did have 3 assists to Hawkins 1. I agree, we definitely need a better PG.

Hawkins > Lathon.  That's not saying a whole lot, but the offense stagnates horribly when Lathon is point, and it somewhat functions with Hawkins.  With a better PG, we might be sitting on just a couple losses.
    « Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:32:31 PM by ATL-Miner »

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 11:15:16 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • fuck 'em and feed 'em fish.