Author Topic: Hawkins  (Read 1514 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Hawkins
« on: December 28, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Other site posting that Hawkins is planning to transfer.  I view this as a very negative thing.  IMO he nneded more time at the expense of Lathon and Terry mist have told him he wasn’t going to get it.

We now have only one point and him questionable?  Who steps in when he needs a breather or is underperforming?

This raises huge concerns for me about CRT.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Hawkins
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 02:29:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Winning cures all
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 05:17:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Didn't see this coming. Hawkins was growing on me and I was hoping to see more of him in conference play.

Certainly raises questions of CRT losing two of his first recruiting class mid year, guys who saw a lot of PT last year. Plus losing the two guards in this season's class before it starts. The ship doesn't seem to be operating very smoothly under his leadership.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 08:07:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Our team is really deep & it doesnt surprise me some kids will leave. I liked Hawkins hustle, but he was not a scorer or a shooter. We need shooters. Maybe Stroud & Archie will pick up the slack this year.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:15:01 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • he had a much better 3 pt shooting percent than Lathon as well as a better assist to turnover ratio, better FG%, better FT%, and yet he couldn't get more pt.  don't blame him for leaving, but i sure hope terry knows what he's doing.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 11:06:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • he had a much better 3 pt shooting percent than Lathon as well as a better assist to turnover ratio, better FG%, better FT%, and yet he couldn't get more pt.  don't blame him for leaving, but i sure hope terry knows what he's doing.

+1

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 02:22:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Lathon is out and Hawkins is back. Crazy shit going on in that locker room right now. I guess we get a better shooter back.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What the hell is going on? You're right Chans, crazy shit.

Andy Morgan
    @AndyMorganTV
    ·
    34m
    Sources tell #KTSM9Sports that UTEP sophomore guard Nigel Hawkins has pulled his name out of the transfer portal. Hawkins appears to be back after teammate Jordan Lathon entered the portal today. #CUSAmbb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 03:19:40 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just from the sounds of it, the young men are working things out.  Just guessing, but it seems that the coach isn't providing the leadership and is lacking control over the situation.  That is a lot of speculation on my part, I admit.  I also think about if this kind of thing would have taken place under Coach Haskins.  I doubt it, as I think he would have been controlling his team, one way or another.  Again, I could be wrong.  Easily.  The whole thing about transfers is a new thing to consider, and students now have their own minds about such things.

ATL-Miner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • But, there's more. Also Stroud now contemplating leaving.

@Bretbloomquist

Multiple sources saying Hawkins is going to stay with UTEP, but that Stroud may join Lathon in transfer portal
    3:15 PM - Dec 29, 2019

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 05:14:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My guess would be that he didn’t talk to coach first.  Then the two of them had a heart to heart and this is the result.  IMO we are better for this.

Stroud may have decided that Kennedy would be getting the minutes next year

ATL-Miner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 09:07:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Since Assistant Coaches Lamont Smith and Burton left, we have lost 2018 recruits Ezeagu and Lathon, possibly Stroud and almost lost Hawkins all in mid-season, as well as, 2019 recruits Zarzuela and Wenzel before the season started. Coincidence? Seems like a lot, even compared with Floyd's turnover.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 01:23:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, now that we have 1 starter leaving, will we be less of a team? Physically we will be 1 less player, but our ability to win games does not go down. Yes, Lathon had ice in his veins & he is the one to take the last shot, but how often have we been in that situation? Not often.
    Anyway, Hawkins taking over as guard might be just what we need. In my opinion, Lathon had an edge on Hawkins I. Regards to athleticism, but he didnt have the numbers to support it. Lathon was a PG & avg 4-5 assist/game. That's not good. Hawkins out rebounded, out stole, & loves to drive to create. Lathon rarely drove to the basket. Neither really were a huge threat at the 3, but at least Hawkins had a better shot.
    Also, starting Tarke over Vila at the 4 is a very good move. Tarke is stronger, more physical, rebounds better, & defends well. Neither can shoot, but that's why they are at the 4.
    Hawkins
    Boum
    Edward's
    Tarke
    Williams
    This looks like the starting line up & I'm happy with it. Archie should be getting big minutes going in for the 2 & 3 while allowing Stroud to keep working on his game. Vila & Odigie backing the 4 & 5.
    We are in good shape. I think we will just miss the tourney this year, but am hoping we go deep in NIT.
    Rumors on Stroud leaving, well... I'll believe it when I see it. The kid has proved to no school he can play. A small school might pick him up & i dont think he wants that.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 01:48:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • agree Chanson, it seems like we will either be very much better or very much worse.  My money is on better.  Early I was happy with Lathon because he seemed to take care of the ball well.  I expected eventually he would get a better feel for running the offense but that has not happened.  To me we have looked more fluid when Hawkins was at point.

Tarke is short for a 4, but he rebounds very well and is strong and active and athletic.  Same weight as Vila and Verhoeven.  A tall enough 4 might just post him up, so we might have to adjust according to our opponent.  FIU's PF appears to be 6-5 195 so he should match up fine.  FAU has more size.

Agree on Stroud.
    Stroud should see better minutes this year if he were to stay.  Next year Archie and Kennedy should be getting minutes, but Edwards will be gone, so that really leaves 4 guards, but at 6-5 he can play a couple spots.  He was listed as a 3 out of high school.  Since Terry seems to favor a 3 guard set there should be PT available.  He has looked so very lost out there however...

ATL-Miner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 02:15:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It doesn't appear like Stroud is leaving, saw him practicing in the background with press meeting with Terry. But who knows. I'm good with Hawkins at the point and dig Tarke in at the 4 despite his smaller size. He's been rebounding well and is so much stronger and athletic than Vila and Verhoeven, plus more upside on scoring potential. Sorry to see Lathon leave, but there were too many sophomores at the same guard position IMO.