Author Topic: It appears I need to reassess how good this team actually is...  (Read 524 times)

Alaska Miner

• Assayer
    • View Profile
It appears I need to reassess how good this team actually is...
« on: December 23, 2019, 12:18:10 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hawaii had absolutely no business winning this game, but UTEP just couldn't put them away. 
    A truly great team would learn how to put a team away in games where they lead the whole game.  This was definitely not what I thought would happen.
    So, clearly they are not as good as we all thought when they were playing the directional schools from New Mexico, but hopefully, they can still make the tournament.  However now, it looks as though they will need to win the C-USA Tourney, because they no longer look like an at-large bid.

But, on a positive note, I don't think there's anyone that can stop Williams.  The dude is unreal.  I think he may be one of the best players we have had here since Randy Culpepper...

Also, I have been trying to figure out why the hell I have seen so much throwing the ball out from the key for a three-point attempt (instead of driving it to the hoop), even when you have a 3 on 2, and I was told by a friend of mine that the "game is like that now"... Seriously??  I realize I have been a bit busy for watching basketball the last few years, but I'm supposed to believe that because Steph Curry likes shooting threes, this has actually become a way of playing?  I can't believe that players would actually flip the ball out to try for a three when a layup makes way more sense, but maybe I have landed in bizarro land.  In any event, it doesn't matter.  We are getting beat playing like that.
    Let's go Brandon!

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: It appears I need to reassess how good this team actually is...
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 08:48:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's really not a bad thing to hot from 3. The problem is getting talent that can actually hit it even when they are open. The only one on the team that can do it at a high rate is Williams. However, he is supposed to be in the paint chopping down the trees guarding him.
    Anyway, I saw the only reason Hawai'i didnt tear our ass up was because they cant hit free throws. We have 2 problems that are very serious. Ball security & an offense outside of Williams. I'd like to throw rebounding on top of that, but Terry doesn't crash the boards like most teams do. He has 3 guards back on D to eliminate the fast break.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 09:46:40 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'd like to throw rebounding on top of that, but Terry doesn't crash the boards like most teams do. He has 3 guards back on D to eliminate the fast break.

This is the part I'm not too comfortable with.  I am not at all convinced that giving up a chance at an offensive rebound in order to prevent a possible fast break is a worthwhile tradeoff.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was under the impression that this was going to be our year. I was wrong. It seems that there are only  2 guys that are really contributing. They are Williams (who's an unstoppable beast even while being double teamed) Buom who has his good times. The rest are pretty much non-existent. Lathon is a HORRIBLE player, he committed stupid fouls, one of which I'll give him credit that it was a FLOP by Auna (or whatever his name is) who was killing us. Add to that his inability to hold on to the ball. He had around 5 errors, i.e. giving away the ball. He really is a liability. Efe played ok but not to his potential as big man.

Poor Williams has to carry this team as the rest aren't that good. We won't be going to the tourney, guys. I'm sorry to say that but we don't have what it takes.

If I was coach I'd sit Lathon most of the game. Oh, I almost forgot Vila, what a waste. He seems lost out there and instead of going for rebounds and trying to put it back in he's out there at the three point line trying 3 pointers which he can't hit if it was a red barn. I give coach a D for losing this game which he should have won.