Author Topic: Losksley Might Be a Great Running Back  (Read 365 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Losksley Might Be a Great Running Back
« on: October 22, 2019, 06:27:12 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have been going through games play by play.  Locksley can be really good running the ball at times.  I would like to see what would happen if Dimel ran an I formation with Jones under center, Hughs at Fullback, and Locksley at tailback.  It seems to me that the options would be pretty hard to defend against AND it is still run based and eats up the clock.  But, you have two passers in the backfield.  Not that it is going to happen.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    Re: Losksley Might Be a Great Running Back
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 06:46:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Last week, Sam Houston State played the #9 team in FCS while having all 5 scholarship QBs injured.  They beat that #9 team 17 to 0 playing the least injured scholarship QB on passing downs, the scout team QB (a 5’10” wide receiver) and a 5’ 10” second string DB who last played QB in high school.  And the defense just completely shut down the other team’s offense.  It was, without a doubt, one of the most amazing football games I’ve ever seen.

I mention this because if you (1) have a coach who knows what he’s doing and (2) players who will do whatever it takes to win a game - good things can happen.

I’m not seeing this with UTEP’s football team.

lieb
    « Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:56:04 PM by liebestraum »

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 07:49:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with 1 and 2 and would add a (3) a belief and self confidence based on established facts and not just hope and faith.  The coach knew how to win and what to do to win, the players know the coach will take them where they need to be, so are willing to play at even a higher level to have the coach's back, and having done what was needed many times to get the job done they had the belief in themselves and their coach that they would do it.  Great things can happen.

Maybe it is holdovers and a lack of buy in.  But you are right about not seeing a cohesiveness.  The penalties are a testament to a lack of respect for the hard work of their teammates.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 02:20:22 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have been going through games play by play.  Locksley can be really good running the ball at times.  I would like to see what would happen if Dimel ran an I formation with Jones under center, Hughs at Fullback, and Locksley at tailback.  It seems to me that the options would be pretty hard to defend against AND it is still run based and eats up the clock.  But, you have two passers in the backfield.  Not that it is going to happen.

You don't have two passers in the backfield in that scenario.  You still have no passers, just a different run look, and opponents will continue to put all 11 in the box defensively.

And it doesn't matter because we could have the next Peyton Manning and we would still only pass on 3rd and long.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 11:15:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Last week, Sam Houston State played the #9 team in FCS while having all 5 scholarship QBs injured.  They beat that #9 team 17 to 0 playing the least injured scholarship QB on passing downs, the scout team QB (a 5’10” wide receiver) and a 5’ 10” second string DB who last played QB in high school.  And the defense just completely shut down the other team’s offense.  It was, without a doubt, one of the most amazing football games I’ve ever seen.

I mention this because if you (1) have a coach who knows what he’s doing and (2) players who will do whatever it takes to win a game - good things can happen.

I’m not seeing this with UTEP’s football team.

lieb

That's what I've been saying Lieb. Why do we go and hire a coach that has nothing on his resume but losses. Did they expect that because that new coach was going to a school in Cusa that he magically would start winning? Boob Still was the worst AD in the hiring part of his job that we have ever had. Why couldn't he go and get a winning coach from a school like S. Houston which I was hoping for when they were looking to replace Price and then to replace Kuglar.

Life with common sense really makes things easier.

I think that pretty soon we'll have to replace Dimly soon and I hope whomever is the AD will use common sense in hiring an up and comer, not a perennial loser.