Poll

Simple Question.  Is the problem with UTEP Football the players or the coaches?

the players
0 (0%)
the coaches
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: POLL: Problem is Players or Coaches?  (Read 307 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
POLL: Problem is Players or Coaches?
« on: October 17, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There is a connection of course in the coaches are the ones who bring the players.  So, there is always the question of whose players are they.  That can be a whole topic of its own.  You can think about that all you want, but for this poll I just want a simple answer to a simple question.  Pick one.  Here is a little help.  Try to imagine Nick Sabin coaching the current Miners roster, with time to prepare them for a season of football and where they might be after a year and a half.  Would they have the same record.  Then put Dana Dimel in charge of Bama's players and would Bama's record be the same with Dimel at the helm.

Would Dimel blame losses on players and execution?  Would Sabin blame the UTEP players for losses?  Would Dimel not have any losses because he had the players to run his offense?  Would Sabin have no wins because he had no players to run his offense?  Who is to blame for player's not executing and making mistakes?  Is the coach responsible for his players play or are the players responsible for not winning because they failed to perform as needed to win?

We used to say that Haskins could beat you with his players or your players.  That was the pure measure that he was just a better coach.  Football may be different.  I don't know.  What do you think?

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: POLL: Problem is Players or Coaches?
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 09:16:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That's a cool observation. Saban's program only works with top talent. So, it would take a while until he can win with what UTEP has. I think Saban would have a few more wins just because he sees the game better.
    Dimel would win with Bama, but not consistently.
    Football has too many variables and only a football savant can become a dynasty (ie Saban, Bear Bryant, Belichek, Walsh, etc.). Not many.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 10:05:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • shit.

They are all to blame.  Dagnambit.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have not been impressed with Dimel this season.  I think my biggest concern and disappointment regarding Dimel is that I can understand us still losing and still having certain struggles, but with us having such a veteran staff and Dimel coming from the Bill Snyder tree, I did not expect us to be so undisciplined, have such poor game management at the end of multiple first half's, and us not be as well organized as one would expect.  Those are things that don't take talent to improve on and since we have had such major/consistent issues with them so far this season, that gives me big concerns regarding Dimel.

That being said, this team was bad long before Dimel arrived here and he has essentially redshirted all of his high school recruits so far, which means that we still have not even seen 90% of the high school kids that he has brought in.  As an example, Dimel has signed 9 3-star high school players since he arrived and we have not seen any of them play yet.  So I can give some understanding towards assigning a bit more of the blame currently on the players that he inherited instead of Dimel(I.E. only 4 starters on the offense right now are players that Dimel signed).  The problem is regardless of the players, we should be seeing more consistent improvement. 

As a final comparison, Rice has not won a game this season, yet if you compare us to Rice this season based on the "eye test", I would feel more confident about their rebuild at this point than our rebuild.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I picked coaches.  I know we have bad players.   But we have two losses that I think are on the coaches.  We have three games coming up later in the season that should have been considered winnable even with our talent.  In theoy we had the chance to be the worst bowl eligible team i. The country.

As bad as our players are, I have not seen individual improvement either.  I don’t think these guys are the answer.