• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Hoops
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 07:59:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Smart
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 16, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This is the way I see it Ky. I know that it was a charity affair and people are saying that TT wasn't playing to win. I don't agree with that assessment as no team likes to lose (especially since they went so far in the tourney last year) even if the game doesn't count. We're also saying that TT wasn't ready but I can only claim that that could be us too. It's TT first game atmosphere but it was ours too. What I'm trying to say is that both teams are green for this season and neither team wanted to lose so if we won it's because our team was able to go toe to toe with them and come out ahead.

They'll get better as the season progresses I'm sure but we will too.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 16, 2019, 12:35:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This is the way I see it Ky. I know that it was a charity affair and people are saying that TT wasn't playing to win. I don't agree with that assessment as no team likes to lose (especially since they went so far in the tourney last year) even if the game doesn't count. We're also saying that TT wasn't ready but I can only claim that that could be us too. It's TT first game atmosphere but it was ours too. What I'm trying to say is that both teams are green for this season and neither team wanted to lose so if we won it's because our team was able to go toe to toe with them and come out ahead.

They'll get better as the season progresses I'm sure but we will too.

I grew up a Raiders fan.  They always lost all of their preseason games.  They were in reality exhibitions of the game of football played by players the team could afford to play in a meaningless game.  Have you seen and all star game lately?  No one is playing for real.  It is WWE promotional play.  Now, I'm not saying the TT game was exactly the same, but there is a degree of "this doesn't really count" in players minds to varying degrees.  I don't know just how much.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 01:20:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Did you watch any of the footage?  This was not AAU ball matador defense, and not work on the same play over and over again.  Could they have challenged the 3 more?  yes.  Could they have challenged the rebounds more, yes.  But, whether or not Tech was playing at Big12 intensity, they were playing substantially above anything we will see in conference short of maybe Western Kentucky and one or two others.  At worst, you can say that we went toe to toe with an elite team playing at 80%, and that's still something.  We would have been happy if we lost by less than 20.

Besides, I demand to be unrealistically optimistic about UTEP basketball.  Sit down, you're rocking the boat.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think its smart to have reservations. When Floyd had Wash & Hunter & was ranked in top 25, I totally bought into it. We lost 1st game in NIT to CRT here at home. I was pissed we didnt make NCAA.
    Like a dummy, I'm buying into this year & next year. Why?
    1) Last years kids said some crazy talent was coming in.
    2) Kaplowitz & other media said the talent at each position was like something they haven't seen in a while.
    3) The play against a last years Champ runner ups was eye opening.
    4) Chris Beard ('18 Elite 8 & "19 Championship game) said we will be at the top of CUSA after beating his club.
    5) Our best player in Archie has yet to play.

From the evidence & the play I saw Saturday night, worst case scenario is we just miss NCAA. For Terry's 2nd year that is ahead of pace than Gillespie's 2nd year. Which is better than any coach post Haskins. Sadler doesnt count because he was part of the Gillespie build.
    If KY wants to hold reservations, then leave the old fart alone. A heart can only take so much let down. But if the Miners can go deep in the season, then it's a win/win for us all.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 04:40:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • A young bull and an old bull are standing at the top of a hill looking down upon a heard of cows.  The young bull says, "Let's run down there a get us a cow.  The old bull says,"Let's walk down there and get them all."

I am old and just have learned to slow down and conserve my energy for when it counts.  I have everything crossed and am burning sage and incense, and hoping as much as everyone else.  I just want to save my energy for actual wins.  This is my school.  My heart will always be with her, even the football team, but I am not the same person I was 40 years ago thinking we will somehow win them all because I want us to.  Nowadays, I am a little slower to shoot, but my aim is better and I never flinch.   :)
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 07:36:12 PM by kyyote »

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 05:44:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I’m with you, Ky.  Glad we beat Tech, but I’ll wait for wins that count before I’ll get excited.  But I haven’t shot a gun in years, so I have no idea what my aim is like. 

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 07:32:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Should I recite the poem from Basic Training?  This is my rifle
                                                                        This is my gun
                                                                        This one's for shooting
                                                                        This one's for fun

Sound off! One two,
    Sound off!  Three, four

Bring it on down!
    One, two, three, four
    One, two,      three, four!

Your left!
    To your left!
    To your left, right, left!

;D
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 07:34:51 PM by kyyote »

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: October 17, 2019, 05:10:10 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Should I recite the poem from Basic Training?  This is my rifle
                                                                        This is my gun
                                                                        This one's for shooting
                                                                        This one's for fun

Sound off! One two,
    Sound off!  Three, four

Bring it on down!
    One, two, three, four
    One, two,      three, four!

Your left!
    To your left!
    To your left, right, left!

;D

I feel uncomfortable with the innuendo in this post and I think I am being made fun of.  Hence, I will register a complaint with the site admin forthwith.

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 17, 2019, 06:50:55 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That is a great idea!  I find some merit in your complaint, but it is only if you are the one with the thoughts that take you to that place and with that the whole inappropriateness is back on you.   Therefor I blame you for inappropriate thinking and direct you to the half used bar of soap with the bite marks and hope that you have learned something after you have spent some time in your room thinking about your nasty thinking. 

Having said that, I am all about the social justice and redemption, so I am issuing a pardon and release you from your room and will expunge your record.  I am benevolent, right?

Fall in.  Fall out!

Watch your thoughts on these orders, troop.  I know you have proclivities!

;D 

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: October 18, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Ky is NOT an old fart. He is just old and farty.

Big difference.

;D

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: October 18, 2019, 11:39:13 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Ky is NOT an old fart. He is just old and farty.

Big difference.

;D

Indeed!

Miners1

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: October 18, 2019, 06:38:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What time does UTEP play that private exhibition game vs gcu tomorrow? 

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: October 19, 2019, 12:21:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What time does UTEP play that private exhibition game vs gcu tomorrow?

This question is like the "if a tree falls in the forest and no one..." I wonder if they play and no fans are present was there really a game.

Miners1

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: October 19, 2019, 01:40:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • On the gcu web site UTEP 76 gcu 10 halftime 🤙⛏