• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Hoops
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 06:08:06 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He's actually a PG.
    Understood that he is a PG at his high school.  I am making an assumption based solely on a couple videos that he is not a PG in college and is not being brought in for that purpose.

utep2step

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's a little over 3wks until UTEP vs Tech. It cant come soon enough. Again, I'm not expecting a win, but I expect to see some competitiveness & effort from the Miners.
    This is UTEP basketball, the bar was, has been and should remain high. Doke, Tech, Virginia, Wichita State, no le hace, I expect a win.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 02:14:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • On Sept 21st on this thread, I mentioned that a 6'6"PG out of Cali named McGriff was in town. He was a 2☆ & I said he could be a 3 or 4☆ recruit. He ended up committing to UTEP during his visit.
    Well, it looks like ESPN agreed with me & changes him from a 2☆ to a 4☆ yesterday.
    I have never seen us sign a kid & he jumps 2☆s up & has not played a game his Sr year of high school.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Last season, I thought that Kaosi Ezeagu had tremendous potential but seemed to have to split time with Efe and so he got less time as Efe progressed and brought his fouling under control.  I could be wrong about all of that, but my point is about Ezeagu.  He was raw, but has had the off season to practice and play with and against his teammates and the experience has to be invaluable.  Or has the team changed with additions that he won't play a big role? Also, it seems to me that Grad Student Transfers can be a hit or miss affair.  Sometimes they are quite a boon, but at times they can be selfish and looking for a last chance to show their wares.  I think some exhibitions are different from others.  The Miners playing the Globetrotters when they played was no fooling around basketball.  The UTEP v Tech game is an exhibition game between two friends-almost family- to support El Paso.  The intensity for this one may not be the same from/for the coaches, especially with nothing really riding on it officially.  But, I sure did enjoy with great anticipation last year's team. 

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 07:44:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I dont care if the TT game didnt count. My heart & soul needed that game really bad.
    Both sides showed a ton of mistakes. As a matter of a fact, we had way more mistakes, but our defense bailed us out. Williams, Edwards, & Lathon were big stand outs, especially when the Miners needed to put the game away. Closing has not been a staple here for a while. The kids I saw that need to concentrate on eliminating mistakes were Tarke, Hawkins, & Stroud.
    The X factor IMO, was Vila. He didnt score much & couldn't hit a 3, but played great defense, had key rebounds, & was quick to defend shooters to throw them off. His length & speed remind me of Moultry, however he needs to drive to the hoop more.
    I know we wont see this team for another 3wks, but this Miner fan is finally happy.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 13, 2019, 01:21:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • As my OPT reflected I didn't hold any chance that UTEP would win. I had them as 14 or so point losers but man was I surprised. I never thought we had that quality of players this year. I am very, very pleasantly surprised and elated. As soon as the players start jelling with each other and know their quirks they will get better still. We have so much ammunition that if a player is off we have other qualified players that can substitute, unlike last year. I am thrilled for UTEP, coach, and fans and I hope we bring a conference and conference tourney banner to the Don. Let me jump the gun and include a Sweet 16 also. I know TT didn't have all the players from last year but with a coach like Beard I'm sure they're still good and that win against them was very gratifying. It's gonna be a long 3 weeks waiting for the real games. Football for me is in the rear view mirror but I'm a UTEP fan first and I'll still keep listening to their games...and continuing being disappointed, alas.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 06:29:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Does anyone remember that I said this years team was capable of a sweet 16 run and at the very least the finals of the NIT?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Does anyone remember that I said this years team was capable of a sweet 16 run and at the very least the finals of the NIT?
    I do. Even Kaplowitz a while back said that this was the most talented team he's seen since 2010. He even said he thinks this team is better. We had talked about Freshmen coming in and that it would be a problem keeping them because the team was so talented and deep.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 08:35:26 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was thinking after reading a few Miner websites. I read we would have destroyed Tech if we hadn't committed so many turn overs. I dont think that's fair to say because if Beard's defense was defending the 3 like they normally, it would have been closer. I still think the Miners would have won, but that team we played normally plays the defensive perimeter superbly. Just look at last years film. They forced teams to drive & then they would take charges or get stuck. All these what if hanging around out there gets you thinking on the crazy potential of this team. Like if Hawk, Vila, & Tarke hit at least 1/4 of those shots cut turn overs in half, or Boum or Lathon passed better.
    What we did well: Defended, rebounded, hit free throws, & hit 3s. Holy crap, that was Floyd's issue his whole time here.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 09:38:54 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I went to the Tech game, my first Men's BB game in probably five years.

I was impressed by the team. I was impressed by CRT.

I was underwhelmed by the atmosphere (i.e. UTEP's marketing during the game).  But, I know they hired a new Marketing guy, who used to work here a few years ago, and who did some good things at SMU, two months ago. I will give them this season before calling for their heads.

As an aside, I did go to the first UTEP FB game this year, breaking my seven season stretch of saying fuck you to athletics for putting me through the constant losing.  I was not impressed at all.  I could call the plays from the stands, and that's not a good sign. Canales has got to go. 

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 09:44:36 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nice post.  To the point.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 11:20:55 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I went to the game, my first UTEP home game since 1988. Plus first time having floor seats.

I knew people were underestimating the impact a healthy grad-transfer Edwards could be. It's nice to have a guy who can shoot from distance when needed and bring some experience to the back court. Lathon was clutch in the 2nd half, especially with free throws which wasn't his strong suit last year. And although I don't think Vila played his best game, I think he'll be a consistent contributor and he likely hits more of the shots he missed Saturday. Williams is as advertised. The team looked a little rusty which was to be expected.

So much talent on this team, it wouldn't surprise me if we had a lot of different guys step up and score more on any given night. Odigie, Tarke, Boum and Hawkins will have their big nights. Stroud does look like an athletic freak and could have some great moments too. 

This could be a momentum building year. We've just got to win some early big games to get the crowds back. But this should be a really fun team to watch.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:28:54 AM by ATL-Miner »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Someone on the other site posted game film.

1.  Edwards and Williams played with defensive intensity as well as offensive.  The other players picked up on that.  Edwards brings fire and the other players feed off it.
    2.  Tech was not in full command of their game, but was still one of the best teams we will face this year.
    3.  We may be the top rebounding team in the conference.  Williams, Vila, and Efe all block out and rebound.
    4.  Vila looked a bit out of sync offensively but I think he has offensive game in him.  Solid all around, no head mistakes.  Defends well, blocks out well, does a lot of things well.  Not flashy, but solid.
    5.  Lathon will be OK.
    6.  The rest of the guys will need to figure out their roles and embrace them.
    7.  The addition of Archie should make us formidable.
    7.  Every game will be winnable.
    8.  If we play with the same fire and intensity all season, this could be special.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 06:07:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Team report card:
    Just so all are aware, TT has played 3 other closed games before playing UTEP. They played the Bahamas national team & lost by about 3pts. They also played another nati ok nal team I cant recall & split wins. Both teams are still jittery & trying to put things together.
    Williams- A+. Was a general & great on both sides of the court.
    Vila- B+. Couldn't hit jumpers but did everything else.
    Verhoeven- C-. Was active & aggressive, but couldn't figure it out.
    Odigie- B. Didnt play much, but rebounded, blocked out, & did OK on D.
    Tarke- C-. Was active & played OK D, but lost the ball & missed a fast break lay up.
    Hawk- D+. Defended OK, but couldnt get his feet under him.
    Edwards A+. 3s, defense, & driving to the hoop. Oh my.
    Boum C. Controlled the ball but couldnt find a way to feed or score.
    Lathon A-. Kid wants the ball & was clutch when needed, however he lost the ball multiple times.
    Stroud- D-. He gave hard effort, but looked like a toddler in a China shop. You would have thought the ball had oil with his turn overs.
    Overall- A-. They would get an A if they can protect the ball, but rebounds, free throws, defense & clutch play against the Championship runner up team is solid.

GO MINERS

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 06:40:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I would just say that we are very fired up after 1 charity exhibition game, and we need it for our emotional well-being.  But, it was a game, unlike regular season games and I am going to pump the brakes just a bit.  Very excited about what may be, but waiting a little bit to see just how excited I should be.