SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Hoops
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:42:36 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We are now exactly one month away from the exhibition game against Tech.  To my mind, this is on paper the most talented group in quite a while.
    BUT...

I think there are two glaring questions from last year, and it could make or break the team.

Who will be the point guard that will run the team?  We need a much better A/TO ratio than any player had last year.
    Who will be able to consistently knock down 3s > 40%?

If we have that, I think the rest of the athletes can take care of business. 

I know we've beaten this dead horse many times, but it seemed time to whack it again and see if it twitches.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Hoops
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 11:28:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with your post Chans. Many time coaches erringly judge a players worth by how many points they make. Not in my book. The most important facet of a game is his percentage stats. If you judge a player by how many points they make it's not a fair assessment because if you're like my cousin when he played basketball he lobbed that baby to the hoop every chance he got the ball, with that he was always the high point man but I'll tell you this he missed more than he made.

Anything over 33% is okay as it would be great in baseball but at 40% or more it would be lights out.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 02:41:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That was Sisy, Mojo. However, I agree as well. A team can have tons of talent, but if the team cant work together, they will lose no matter how good the players are. I remember when Floyd had Hunter & Washburn & was ranked before the start of the season. They didn't amount to shit in the end. That team took AZ to the wire, but they just couldn't mesh well.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

BREVO

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 05:55:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I believe it’s going to take CRT most of the pre-conference schedule to find a rotation that works best.  Most of the players on this years team have practice together for a year, however not until they have some game experience will we see how good they really are.  I hope it happens sooner than later and this team meets our expectations.  I really miss the Haskins era and I thought Floyd was going to bring the program back.  I was wrong and no disrespect to Gillispie or Barbee, but I hope CRT builds the program and decides to stay awhile.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It seems that old age crankiness has its grip on me, but I am afraid that we are what is called a stepping stone(at best and graveyard at worst).  Old coaches come for a soft landing into retirement land or a young coach trying to make a splash and cash in on it.  Best of all, the administration doesn't count wins and losses anymore.  Make sure they get to class and see how many El Paso kids you can put on the team that will graduate for sure.  We are a Top Tier school.  We are Harvard on the Border!  Winning silly games played by knuckle-dragging bone-heads is for normal schools.  We are Rice, Harvard, Yale, ivy covered walls and libraries is what we are. now.  Hell, my mother always said a bad excuse is better than none at all.  So, when we lose it is a good thing.  Embrace the losing is a recognition of the academic heights we have reached.  Instead of foam picks we need to wave foam magnifying glasses or foam calculators maybe diplomas!

As for the basketball team.  CRT seems to have been assembling some talent.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen it come together yet.  I mean, God Almighty if we had had a kid who could drain threes the inside would have opened up and the beast would have been absolutely amazing to watch.  Still bitching, I don't know why it is but damn it seems like the last time we had a kid who could drop bombs was all the way back to Barbee and Randy(?). 

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 08:49:51 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I wasa going to say the most recent really good 3 pt shooter was Stefon Jackson but his percent wasn't all that great.  is there someone more recent I am missing?  Is there an all time list for 3 pt percentage?  I looked but couldn't find.  I'm guessing Chris Craig tops the all time list.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 06:43:13 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The team is ready. Trust me. I will be shocked if one of two things don't happen this year.
    1. An NCAA tournament bid
    2. A deep run in the NIT

You might have to go back to the mid 80s to find a UTEP team as talented as this one.

BREVO

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 08:52:33 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • New player on the team?  JULES WILLIAMSON

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 09:00:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We have a lot of players on the roster.  What's up with that?

Don't forget the 3pt line is moving farther back this year.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 09:26:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • New player on the team?  JULES WILLIAMSON

According to this article on the UTEP website, we have added two walk-ons.  One of them is Jules Washington:

“Jules Williamson will be a freshman entering the 2019-20 school year. Williamson played at East Aurora High School in Aurora, Ill., and averaged 21 points per game during the 2018-19 season. The 6-foot-4 guard was named to the Upstate Eight Conference All-Conference team following his senior campaign, while earning a 2018-19 Beacon-News Boys Basketball All-Area team honorable mention. Williamson was named to the 2017-18 Beacon-News Boys Basketball All-Area second team after averaging 17.0 points per game his junior campaign.”

https://utepminers.com/news/2019/9/3/mens-basketball-utep-mens-hoops-adds-grad-transfer-daryl-edwards.aspx?path=mbball

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 01:35:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's a little over 3wks until UTEP vs Tech. It cant come soon enough. Again, I'm not expecting a win, but I expect to see some competitiveness & effort from the Miners.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I see on Twitter that 2020 prospect Quincy McGriff 2☆ 6'6" PG is in town this weekend.

I was looking at some YouTube clips on him & I'd have to say the kid grew on me. He cant jump, he's not quick, & he's a bit heavy, however, he has fantastic ball skills, he commands the court very well, & he can shoot. Plus, his passing is high IQ. If Terry can get him lean & quick, he could be a 3-4☆ recruit.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 10:27:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Before the season starts, I want to pick 113-63 us in every BB OPT.  Life is busy, so i may not make it all the time.

Z

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 08:59:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just got a verbal from a 6-6 combo guard in California.  Not real highly regarded by scouting services, but appears to me to have a nice touch and confident in his ballhandling.  The elite camp highlights look like the game there is slow for him, so that's also a good sign.   As always with freshmen, the questions are:  can he adapt to the speed of the game?  Can he play defense?

6-6 is a nice size for a shooting guard

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He's actually a PG.