Author Topic: We Have 7 Quarterbacks  (Read 773 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
We Have 7 Quarterbacks
« on: August 17, 2019, 06:43:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Is there any chance we will try to have a real passing game or will Locksley quickly find his way back to the top?  Thinking about buying/not buying tickets.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: We Have 7 Quarterbacks
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:58:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Personally, my wife is in bad health and I sure don't want to leave her by herself so I didn't buy my season tiks this year. Last year I gave away about 4 game tickets to my niece but this year I won't buy them to her chagrin. LOL

But, if I was to go to the games I certainly would not buy them if Locksley was the QB. In my mind he sucks, badly. Anyone is still better than him.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 09:54:37 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I dont think he sucks, but he is not the answer. The guy cant pass because he has 0 concept on reading a defense.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 10:54:06 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I dont think he sucks, but he is not the answer. The guy cant pass because he has 0 concept on reading a defense.

To me, that describes a quarterback that sucks.  What's the difference to you between a quarterback that sucks and your description of Locksley?  just curious.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The guy has legs, a short passing game, & is a master at the option. That alone can get you to a bowl game, if the defense does there job. Any pass beyond 5yrds is his problem. He is more of a bandaid than a solution. I think he is way better than Lamaison was.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nice.  I can buy that.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 03:51:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This might be stating the obvious, but I think our chances of having a good season have really improved with Jones taking full control of the first team offense.  I like this a lot better than last year's situation, when Jones had only been on campus for 3 months and our opening day starter(Metz or Locksley) was still unknown and splitting first team reps.

It also seems like every returning offensive player(including Jones) is talking more and more about how they now feel like they know what they are supposed to do based on what the defense is showing.  You always hear this in year two of a program, so I am interested in seeing if this turns out to be real improvement, or is it just the same false hope that always comes out of camp at this time of year. 

At the end of the day, one would think that finally having a healthy O-line, a full year in the offense, a clear starting QB who has also now been here a year, and adding a little more speed should help us take a step forward this year.
    « Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 03:57:38 PM by UTEPDefense »

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 04:11:02 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I may go on a win or go home basis.  A pass on the TT game.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 06:38:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
    It also seems like every returning offensive player(including Jones) is talking more and more about how they now feel like they know what they are supposed to do based on what the defense is showing.  You always hear this in year two of a program, so I am interested in seeing if this turns out to be real improvement, or is it just the same false hope that always comes out of camp at this time of year. 

This sounds like a very specific area of improvement, which I usually take as meaningful.  Serious question -- are you saying that it is typical in year 2 for a team to say this specifically vs a generic "we understand the system better", or "we are coming together as a team" vague statements?  I need a straw to clutch here!

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 07:45:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That's a good question.  It was more hoping out loud that these are not the same vague statements that always seem to come in the 2nd year.  Just as an example, UTEP has had 6 defensive coordinators over the past 15 years.  I am certain that there is an El Paso Times article from the 2nd year of each of those 6 DC's where the players are quoted as saying things like: "I feel so much more comfortable this year than last year" or "I'm thinking less this year and can can play faster", etc.  But we have then rarely ever seen results which match these super positive pre-season quotes.

I don't know the answer, but I am hopeful that this year's comments are more specific/meaningful and it is possible that Dimel's offense might be based more on variation/adjusting to the defense more than other offenses, which could make these statements highly valuable if true.  This also might explain why Hankins and Dimel have both mentioned that Hankins is still learning the offense.  Maybe the offense is not as simple as "run through the B gap in this play", maybe there are multiple variations of each play based on the defensive alignment which makes it more complex and longer to learn the offense?

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •   Maybe the offense is not as simple as "run through the B gap in this play", maybe there are multiple variations of each play based on the defensive alignment which makes it more complex and longer to learn the offense?

Given our last several years, that would be a welcome change, if true.  Coupled with a QB that can learn the offense, read the D, and respond appropriately, it ought to help compensate for generally mediocre athletes.

What do you guys think about the USC Dback we picked up?  I watched highlights with some nice coverage and open field tackling that looked to my inexpert eyes looked like it was light years ahead of anything we've seen at that position in a long time.