Author Topic: Scolarships for Money?  (Read 576 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Scolarships for Money?
« on: March 16, 2019, 12:53:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, a coach like a soccer coach, or a rowing coach can pick up a cool $50 thousand for carrying a student for a month until the student quits and blends into the regular population at an elite school. A couple of questions come to mind. Like, the football coach has a lot more scholarships to sell. Thank goodness they didn't hear about this kind of thing. I mean, a rowing coach or soccer coach could be making a bundle while the football coaches are working for just their regular contracts. Or this question, was this one guy a criminal genius, the one guy in the whole world who had figured out how to do this, or was he doing what others do all the time? I believe he has said the real number of students he has "helped" is in the high hundreds. No one ever knew anything? The soccer players on the team never had a clue that the new girl was clueless? Or is this so common that it is just understood that the teams carry some "money" players? So many questions all of this raises.

Any comments, inside knowledge?  Is it right under our noses?  Dimel's son was some stud running back at K St. but last year as a grad transfer he appeared in 6 games and rushed the ball 4 times.  Off hand, I think you could argue that he took a scholarship from someone else and it is probably father-employment related in the long run, but I think it would be just as easy to argue it wasn't.  Would a person from another country gain an advantage in acquiring citizenship based on a paid for athletic scholarship acquired for that purpose rather than to contribute athletically to the team? 

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Scolarships for Money?
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 10:06:06 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not a word?  The scandal hits our basketball program and not a word?  Top recruits fleeing the program and not a word?  Our new head coach hires the guy who was selling scholarships(? maybe?) and we haven't heard anything.  Senter?  New AD?  I'm not trying to tear down anyone, or anything like that.  I'm just asking why is their not a word?  What is it that I am missing here.  No one knows.  No one cares?  Damn it!  UTEP smeared even if they aren't guilty!  Fuck!

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Word
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 12:07:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • JK,
    This is something that has been practiced for a long time. The information age has leaked it out.
    I am obviously not a fan at all, however if a coach said I'll give your kid a full scholly if you pay me $30k, I would do it. Most folks dont have the tons of money to fork out, so it really a small problem.
    The issue I have is the school not getting a dime and other departments are compensated to pick up the slack for the non revenue producing sports.
    The faculty & staff should be held accountable to a code of ethics and allowing this to happen should mean a fine and a period of banishment.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 12:59:58 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • College sports is beginning to give me the same bad taste in my mouth as pro sports

I’m tired of the greed, the self-entitled attitudes, the whole thing.

I would be happy with no scholarships and players selected from those already in attendance.
    Would the caliber of play be the same? Not by a long shot.  But I enjoy watching sports at all levels as they play at the level of talent they have.

I value integrity more than wins

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 02:49:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I admit it.  I am like I just learned Santa Claus is not real.   I mean it is just cheating as fuck for money.  And you tell me that is just standard operating procedure!  Like, sports is all about honor and ethics but THAT cheating , we don't even give it a second look.  WTF!!  That kind of cheating is ok.  What other cheating is standard operating procedure?  I know from an old aggie running back that 50 years ago there would be tickets left on their beds at the dorm to sell.  That was the aggies so they couldn't have been making much.  lol  But, Sis, I am getting tired of some of the shit.  I follow pro sports very casually nowadays,  College is where I still can convince myself I am pulling for someone that also loves my school.  The minute I lose that I won't watch another game.

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 09:41:00 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm still trying to figure out why someone would offer a bribe to get into UCLA or USC.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:57:53 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This is not as common as you might think. It was happening at schools that are difficult to get into (Yale, Stanford, UT, and others). The kids did not have high enough SAT/ACT scores to get in as just a student, but when a coach list a student as a recruited athlete then the student gets pushed to the front of the line, for waitlisted students. This did not happen in the major sports for the most part because those sports are under a lot more scrutiny. Most of the cheating happened in the Olympic sports, tennis, soccer, and crew. The vast majority of the kids were never part of the team and just blended in with the student body after they were admitted. These are not kids that were scholarship athletes and it is easy to get them to leave/disappear from the "team." The kid can decide he/she didn't want to play after all or the coach can say the kid has an injury. What is crazy is that the parents were spending so much money.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Good points, Stan.

The good news is lots of schools now are not needing SAT/ACT to get in. Tests dont reflect the value of a good student & some Ivy's are not requiring & posting that the tests are optional when applying. UT, Cornell, AZ State, are just to name a few with the number of schools rising every year.
    Hopefully that will be a small piece of eliminating that issue.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 05:55:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That just makes it even easier for wealthy people to push their kids to the fro t of the line.  It doesn’t reduce the inequity, it just makes it easier to conceal.  Granted, maybe not ASU, but Cornell?  Hell yes