Author Topic: UTEP's new president, Heather Wilson  (Read 2027 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: UTEP's new president, Heather Wilson
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 08:06:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Forgot to mention, I saw Kuglar walking up my street. He must have stayed in El Paso.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 10:33:16 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • maybe just a pipe dream rumor i heard...but somebody said Dr. N will run for Mayor.

And if the new president restricts access, which is a major point of contention between the UT System and UTEP over the years, you will see the true colors of the BOR and mass departures from the campus (Faculty, Staff, and Students).   

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Access to whom Z?

zyxwvutsru

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 04:47:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Access to anybody who wants to come here.

System hates our open enrollment mission, because our graduation rates are low because of it...however, over 70% of graduates dont count toward the graduation rate, making it a flawed metric.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 08:54:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Why?  Explain!

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 09:33:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think, and someone can correct me, that to count towards graduation rate % you have to graduate within a certain number of years after enrolling.  UTEP has a pretty high percent of enrolees eventually graduate, but a lot of them take longer than traditional students and the time has expired.  So it looks like we have a bad graduation rate due to the time limit in that way of calculating it.  We would look much better if no time limit.

Not sure how much open access actually plays a role in the time limit thingy, but it probably doesn't help.

That said, under Natalicio UTEP set a unique mission to be open access, distinct from most of the rest of the UT system and I have no doubt it is a point of contention.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 08:05:43 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP's open enrollment policy saved my life.  UTEP took a chance on me.  UTEP is much more than where I took classes.  It isn't where I got that "college experience".  I, like most of the students at UTEP didn't have the luxury of hanging out and partying down.  I, like most students at UTEP had to go to my job.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP's open enrollment policy saved my life.  UTEP took a chance on me.  UTEP is much more than where I took classes.  It isn't where I got that "college experience".  I, like most of the students at UTEP didn't have the luxury of hanging out and partying down.  I, like most students at UTEP had to go to my job.

I was working full time and holding 12 hours at UTEP. It wasn't easy...at all. It was hard to maintain my grades and still be a husband and father. I worked graveyard for 9 and a half years (because of low seniority) just so I could maintain a father position with my kids. Otherwise I would only see them going to work and seeing them go to bed. The GI Bill was helping in keeping me above water. I have a total of 135 hours in Social Work and only was able to get an AA from Community college. I never intended to use a degree. I knew that I didn't have the patience to work inside a building for 8 hour days...too, too boring as I found out through my internship.

I apologize to those who will get mad because I didn't graduate. But, like what a co-worker who did graduate said one time, "I'm thinking of using my diploma". A friend of his asked him, "Why? Do you have a hole in your wall you need to cover?". LOL.   I didn't have any holes in my walls.  ;D

zyxwvutsru

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think, and someone can correct me, that to count towards graduation rate % you have to graduate within a certain number of years after enrolling.  UTEP has a pretty high percent of enrolees eventually graduate, but a lot of them take longer than traditional students and the time has expired.  So it looks like we have a bad graduation rate due to the time limit in that way of calculating it.  We would look much better if no time limit.

Not sure how much open access actually plays a role in the time limit thingy, but it probably doesn't help.

That said, under Natalicio UTEP set a unique mission to be open access, distinct from most of the rest of the UT system and I have no doubt it is a point of contention.

Okay..quick lesson in graduation rates...

Only students who are First-Time, Full-Time Degree Seeking Enrolled in the Summer/Fall of a year are counted toward the graduation rate.  This means if you are a transfer student, not full time, or begin your college career enroll in Spring, you do not count.  Some numbers for ya'll: 70% of graduates each year at UTEP do not count toward the graduation rate. Of the 3500 bachelor degrees awarded in 2017-18, 80% graduated with six years (this includes all the transfers, part timers, spring starters).  Which is a better measure of success? The 40% six year graduation rate, or the 80% of degrees awarded were earned in six years or less?

Okay, off my soap box.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 11:31:36 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • With summer sessions and a transfer of 18 hours I was able to do it in 3.  It is about opportunity.  Each student uses the opportunity as it fits their needs.  I needed to support a family working full time and get through school as fast as I could.  My last semester I was taking 21 hours and student teaching.  The Dean knew I had to get out of school and signed off on it.  UTEP took care of me.  They helped when I needed it.  When I say I bleed orange, I mean it.  Anyone that spends any time in El Paso knows how much the school means to the community, as the graduates are everywhere, but because the young have to leave the isolation of El Paso the impact of UTEP is sent out to other parts of the country.  The people of El Paso know how great UTEP has been for them.

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • With summer sessions and a transfer of 18 hours I was able to do it in 3.  It is about opportunity.  Each student uses the opportunity as it fits their needs.  I needed to support a family working full time and get through school as fast as I could.  My last semester I was taking 21 hours and student teaching.  The Dean knew I had to get out of school and signed off on it.  UTEP took care of me.  They helped when I needed it.  When I say I bleed orange, I mean it.  Anyone that spends any time in El Paso knows how much the school means to the community, as the graduates are everywhere, but because the young have to leave the isolation of El Paso the impact of UTEP is sent out to other parts of the country.  The people of El Paso know how great UTEP has been for them.

With UTEP attaining Tier One status perhaps more students that are opting to leave will stay and study at UTEP. What we have is a gem but many don't think highly of our school even with its new status. We are the new kids on the block with a Tier One and I hope that new position will bring in kids that would go to UT-Austin and other Tier Ones.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 01:08:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • People escape El Paso.  The children use UTEP as means to escape.  Not all, of course.  But most people aren't moving here by choice.  So, UTEP will remain what it has always been, just better.  To tell the truth, that is what half of the people want in El Paso want.  To remain as it has always been, only better. 

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It took me six years to graduate with an engineering degree from UTEP.  I didn't know it at the time, I suffered with ADHD and dyslexia.  It was not until later in life that I became aware of it.  Because of that, I would end up dropping a course and became draft eligible.  I lost a year because of military service in the Army Reserve.  So actually, it was only five years to graduate.  I thank UTEP for their patience. 

I decorate my classroom door with pictures of the UTEP campus.  It does interest my students.  At least some are applying there.  My football playing students are now developing interest in playing for UTEP.  We have some good athletes.  Also, I have a student from Nepal who wondered why I had pictures of buildings from her country.  Similar architecture. 

When I graduated and went to UT Austin, they had a campus life that was attractive to students.  And there was the surrounding music scene and recreational activities in and around the city.  These are the kind of things that help to attract students.  This needs to be developed to help bring in students from out of town. 

A strong athletic program in sports can also be an attraction.  Natalicio underestimated this by preventing UTEP from going to a better conference.  UTSA and UH are benefiting from now efforts to improve their athletics. 

To be Tier One, UTEP has to be more than a commuter college.  UTEP needs students with different backgrounds. 

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 09:38:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  Austin is right about the attraction of athletics. Most people don't know much about the academics of universities around the country, but athletic programs bring prestige and notoriety.

Example cases: Do you know anything about the academic life at Butler, Gonzaga, or Wichita St? We know they play good basketball. How about Auburn? We know they are good at football. I assume they also produce some strong graduates, but really I only assume this because they're good at sports.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 09:39:06 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Ivy Leagues are automatic, but if you are not working in the world of academia, the public doesn't know about the schools programs. Advertising is the only way to get the message out. Having strong sports programs is a part of advertising. If you think about it, the school (conference) gets paid when playing on a big network. Yes, that is income can be used to strengthen the schools programs.
    While all this is going on, future prospects become attracted to the school & student population grows.
    "Well that's a good but unproven theory there Mr. Chanson."
    BS- Ask Texas, TX A&M, UCLA, Florida, FL St, USC, Ohio St, Michigan, etc.
    The board of regents would totally be cool with it, because not only is it more income, but it will never reach the main schools status, because they have been ahead of the curve for a long time.
    Sorry for going off, but it takes money to make money. Just follow the blue print set by other schools & don't try to re-invent the wheel.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.