Author Topic: UTEP's new president, Heather Wilson  (Read 2030 times)

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Assayer
    • View Profile

Colominer

• Assayer
    • View Profile
Re: UTEP's new president, Heather Wilson
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:43:51 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  Hope she's a football fan.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 02:51:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, she can't be bad, she's an Air Force secretary (I wonder how fast she types or takes dictation?) and a Republican.  ;D

I wonder too about her feelings on sports is. I'm sure someone will ask...I hope.  :P

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 12:19:45 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • A really poor hire IMO. Hopefully I am wrong.

Colominer

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 07:26:19 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  Why do you say poor hire? It seems like a big time get.  But I have no inside knowledge, so...

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 01:02:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Lots of protesting going on within UTEP. People not happy because she is conservative & not hispanic. Dumb asses need to get over it and work with her.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Lots of protesting going on within UTEP. People not happy because she is conservative & not hispanic. Dumb asses need to get over it and work with her.

I'm with you Chans, I guess they want someone like that jerk that said we didn't need no Gringolandia in El Paso. I think it was Esparza but I could be wrong. In his mind he thought that Natalicio was probably Mexican because her name sounds Mexican. I say give her a chance.

El Pasoans only want Democratic Mexicans. We got enough of them already.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 10:57:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Why do you say poor hire? It seems like a big time get.  But I have no inside knowledge, so...

Because of her political views, I think she will have a hard time with UTEP students and the El Paso community. Her extreme anti LGBT stance is a problem for me. I will wait and see how she handles things before I make my decision but I am sure there were other candidates that were just as qualified.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 10:59:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's not a political position.  Why do people have to make everything political?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 01:42:16 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's about making the school better. Natalicio was a married name Diana kept. She is a white girl from St. Louis and she kicked ass here. I think this next prez will do fine in the 5yr average a standard prez stays with a school. These idiots protesting will Peter out after a while & things will get back to what they should be.
    Here is something to look at. The new prez is from the Airforce & Senter is from the Citadel (military school). Could there be some commonality?
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 06:22:42 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I really liked the direction that Dr. Natalicio had taken UTEP, to be inclusive and encouraging to all potential and current students. I am not sure Dr. Wilson will continue in this direction given her record towards the LGBT community. The hire is concerning for me, but I will take a wait and see approach.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 01:24:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I LOVED that she gave people a chance for a college degree.  But, in my interactions with her, which were a number of times and in my experience at UTEP, my sexuality or of any of the other students was never a topic with her or any of the other students or professors.  That is good.  You go to school to learn not to be socially engineered.  Opportunities to act with and react to others of different backgrounds is great.  Telling them which ones are good or bad is for each of us to decide.  If the new president continues to allow access to a great education, to allow anyone to try, and do it for a rock bottom bargain price-and keeps the students free from the politics of one side to bully any other, the free speech we all have grown up with to continue and flourish, the school I love dearly will do just fine.  If they can get the sports, the front yard and windows of the school to look as great as the school really is, that will be really good, too.

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 02:22:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I really liked the direction that Dr. Natalicio had taken UTEP, to be inclusive and encouraging to all potential and current students. I am not sure Dr. Wilson will continue in this direction given her record towards the LGBT community. The hire is concerning for me, but I will take a wait and see approach.

In my mind it's hate the sin love the sinner...as far as the gay lifestyle is concerned.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 05:05:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nailed it. +1

I LOVED that she gave people a chance for a college degree.  But, in my interactions with her, which were a number of times and in my experience at UTEP, my sexuality or of any of the other students was never a topic with her or any of the other students or professors.  That is good.  You go to school to learn not to be socially engineered.  Opportunities to act with and react to others of different backgrounds is great.  Telling them which ones are good or bad is for each of us to decide.  If the new president continues to allow access to a great education, to allow anyone to try, and do it for a rock bottom bargain price-and keeps the students free from the politics of one side to bully any other, the free speech we all have grown up with to continue and flourish, the school I love dearly will do just fine.  If they can get the sports, the front yard and windows of the school to look as great as the school really is, that will be really good, too.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 07:18:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Word is the Hoover house will probably be sold. I'm not sure how long after Diana leaves that the board will get that done, but it is leaning that way.
    Also, Diana has hinted many times she will stay & die here in Chuco City.