Author Topic: Devante Doutrive 4★ 6'5" 185lb SG  (Read 3873 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Devante Doutrive 4★ 6'5" 185lb SG
« on: August 20, 2017, 11:06:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • While the football team is getting back from Ruidoso, this kid caught my eye and it seems very interesting. Why does this kid want to come visit here, when the Zags and Oregon want him as well? The kid is really good and he is a confident player that is eligible to play NOW. The kid would be a better option than Williams was. The other thing that is interesting is his brother is the same size as a PG & would be available for 2018. The Miners are courting the brother as well and a package deal for both 4★ talents would be a feat I have not seen here at UTEP.

Now, the likeliness of this happening is very small, but the fact that the kid is coming to visit has me scratching my head. Anyway, because a lot of activity in sports is around the corner for UTEP and we really need to get this site pumping with energy and information, I cut the rest of the following from Digs. It is one of the better and informative reads I've seen on that site. 

"... It looks like his stock in the recruiting circles has really risen leaps and bounds his senior year. But by viewing his mixtape above, it appears that Doutrive is a guard who is more comfortable driving to the hoops...The Zags will have to compete with both Oregon and UTEP for his services, and before you count UTEP out, just note that Doutrive spent a portion of his life in Texas. The Zags still have plenty of room on the scholarship chart, but also have a pretty loaded backcourt in the moment.

If Doutrive does choose Gonzaga, he will be choosing a school where he won’t necessarily make an immediate impact in his freshman year."

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/20...-recruiting-devante-doutrive-gonzaga-bulldogs

"Doutrive will be eligible to play next season and is one of the top prospects left in the class of 2017.

Doutrive averaged 22.3 points and 8.5 rebounds, earning LA City Section Player of the Year, and led Birmingham High to their first upper-division title last season.

247Sports ranks him as the 152nd overall prospect, while Scout has him ranked 67thoverall and 13th best shooting guard in their rankings. "

https://www.minerrush.com/2017/8/18...ing-for-2017-four-star-guard-devante-doutrive

"...Together they are known as the Doutrive brothers. Birmingham students enjoy watching them play and they’ve been a huge help to the Birmingham Varsity Basketball Team and they’ve made huge contributions in scoring throughout the season.

On March 3, 2017, the Patriot basketball team won their first Los Angeles City Championship against Westchester 85-80. Devante put up 26 points against Westchester and Devonaire was only 2 points away, scoring 24 points that game. Just a week after winning the City Championship, the Southern California State Playoffs began and the Doutrive brothers–along with Deschon Winston and Mark Boland–would face off against the famous Ball brothers and defending state champions, Chino Hills High School. Birmingham put up a fight against the Huskies but sadly the Patriots ended up losing 130-110. The season then came to an end and the brothers will be remembered for putting up outstanding performances throughout the whole season. Devonaire has averaged 18.9 points per game this season and Devante has averaged 21.7 ppg (points per game) according to Max Preps..."

https://bcchspatriotpost.com/7568/s...ts-to-first-basketball-l-a-city-championship/
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:09:53 PM by Chanson »
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    Re: Devante Doutrive 4★ 6'5" 185lb SG
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 07:33:42 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I read that the kid would be a prop 48 kid.  That may be the reason why UTEP might beat out Gonzaga/Oregon for him.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I got my facts wrong, Stan. He would be a Prop 48. My bad.

In other news, via Verbal Commits, 2★ 6'7" SF Rip Economou signed with Seattle. He was a McSwiggan type player. Also 3★ 6'3" SG Bryce Hamilton trimmed out UTEP. I'm OK with the guards harder to come by only because we are loaded with guards, but the SF position is up in the air. Wade is good, but we only have SG's that can move into his place for next year. It's great when you want to play small, but not so good when you are forced to play small. 
    If CTF is committed to moving Thomas to SF, then I'm good with it. The idea is to recruit a replacement come a players Jr year. This is Thomas's Jr year and we need a back up. Yes, Wade is here, but he will need a back up.

The good thing is we will have some meaty size in the middle with Royster, Jones, St.Pierre, & Smith. We are also good with the guard position. That SF position is key.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not sure where you guys are getting your information from about being Prop 48. But a couple of articles state he's eligible to play next year.  This would be a great get IMO.

http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Top-70-2017-SG-Devante-Doutrive-down-to-three-setting-visits-106279139/

I got my facts wrong, Stan. He would be a Prop 48. My bad.

In other news, via Verbal Commits, 2★ 6'7" SF Rip Economou signed with Seattle. He was a McSwiggan type player. Also 3★ 6'3" SG Bryce Hamilton trimmed out UTEP. I'm OK with the guards harder to come by only because we are loaded with guards, but the SF position is up in the air. Wade is good, but we only have SG's that can move into his place for next year. It's great when you want to play small, but not so good when you are forced to play small. 
    If CTF is committed to moving Thomas to SF, then I'm good with it. The idea is to recruit a replacement come a players Jr year. This is Thomas's Jr year and we need a back up. Yes, Wade is here, but he will need a back up.

The good thing is we will have some meaty size in the middle with Royster, Jones, St.Pierre, & Smith. We are also good with the guard position. That SF position is key.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, some articles say ready next season while the original I read would be ready right away. Either won't matter if we don't get him.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, this kid will be here this weekend. Please make him feel welcome. CTF would be seen as a stud if he can land this 4★ scorer from Cali.

We are still in pretty good hands next year with 6'5" SG Cahiem Brown and 6'9" 250lb Taj Royster on a Prop 48 waiting to play next year. I'm not sure how Royster looks, but that Brown kid is also a special player. He doesn't have Omega speed, but he makes up for it with footwork, soft hands, & court vision. Brown fits more into the PG mold than a SG in my opinion. Yes, he likes to score, but his court vision, ball skills, and passing is so good that he would be a miss math for any PG defender.

COME ON FLOYD. Release the Kracken by signing Doutrive. As a matter of a fact, both Doutrive and Brown are built very similar. Both running the floor would be sick.

Go Miners

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:27:18 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Prop 48 is a term that is no longer used, sorry.  The kid is a 2017 non qualifier, meaning he is part of the 2017 class but is ineligible to play 2017-2018.  Many kids that find themselves in this situation go to prep school, and become part of the 2018 class.  It seems like this is not an option for Doutrive and he wants to be in college this year.  I am not sure if non qualifiers have to pay their own way or not and that might be part of the problem here.  I do hope he comes here as he is very talented.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think the chances in getting him are now slim to none. It does not appear the kid signed while he was visiting. Once he sees how crazy good the facilities are at Oregon, it would be a no brainer where he would want to be.

No worries. That Cahiem Brown kid looks to be a great pick up for next year anyway.

Go Miners

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think we've got a shot, Oregon and Gonzaga are also vying for San Jose St Forward Brandon Clark, who will have to sit this year. I doubt Doutrive would get much, if any, PT if he signs with either of them as both are pretty stacked.

BTW, Chanson Cahiem Brown just tweeted...

Cahiem Brown‏ @TheRealCahiemB

I WILL NO LONGER BE ATTENDING UTEP .
    8:22 PM - 28 Aug 2017

I think the chances in getting him are now slim to none. It does not appear the kid signed while he was visiting. Once he sees how crazy good the facilities are at Oregon, it would be a no brainer where he would want to be.

No worries. That Cahiem Brown kid looks to be a great pick up for next year anyway.

Go Miners
    « Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:26:08 PM by ATL-Miner »

Miner91

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He wasn't even here a week???? This is the second one this summer who has bailed right after showing up here, WTF?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 12:53:13 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well... Damn.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Crap, they want me to attend classes?  This place isn't for me!

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, I have had some time to think about it and do research as to why the kid left.

No way can we blame our coaches or kids as to why the Brown decided to leave. Our program is very good at making newcomers feel welcome. They know UTEP is far from anywhere and the program is super accommodating to all on the team. Put this Brown kid in the same category as Williams, IH, Watts, Hunter's cousin (I forget his name), etc. These are kids that are not ready to stray far from mamas teat. This character says a lot about these kids.
    Negatives- Not ready to lead, indecisive, not used to being challenged, not men of their word, untrustworthy, etc.
    Positives- We found this out early which gives the coaches plenty of time to find a replacement.

Believe me, there are tons of stuff to blame our coaches on. Example Cameron, Barrett, Buddha, Stallworth, Josh Brown, Romine, etc. sent packing. McSwiggan left because of Cantu connection, Moultrie & Caracter leaving because of Barbee's leaving UTEP leaked out during NCAA tournament, etc. Yes, coaches are to be blamed for a lot.

Kids leaving early or signing the dotted line and not following through is all on the kid and his parents.

Luckily this Brown kid wasn't a kid supposed to play this year. We are still in early recruiting and the basketball program is way ahead of the game right now. The Williams situation hurt. I guess I can't blame an insecure and untrustworthy kid seeing the likes of Wade competing for the same position. I didn't go to the open gym game, but a buddy of mine said Wade played better than Vince Hunter the 1st time Hunter played in the White v Orange game. If Wade and Hunter have the same learning curve, then look out.

I guess we all know better to count chicks before they hatch. Some of you guys keep warning me about it. Luckily I listen and it didn't faze me as much.

Go Miners

ATL-Miner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It appears it's between us and Oregon for Doutrive. Brandon Clarke, transfer from SJSU, committed to Gonzaga today. I believe Doutrive's visit to Oregon is this weekend.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/08/30/gonzaga-lands-san-jose-state-transfer-brandon-clarke/

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 06:51:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I've been reading more on the Brown leaving issue & his tweet says scholarship was pulled from him to give to someone else & he needed to go back home to take care of his kid anyway.
    1st- he was a Prop 48, so he had to pay his own way the first year. No way can CTF get involved with pay. It's the rule.
    2nd- scholarships would be available to the kid next year no matter who was brought on board this year.
    3rd- Most important. Your priority is the your child. He could have worked all year to support his kid or stay home and do it.
    Too much of that tweet didn't make sense. It seems to me the kid was looking for as free of a ride as he can get and expected the school to break rules. I guess that's what happens when you sift through the riff raff of problematic left over recruits. I think we dodged a bullet on a deal we didn't see coming in the 1st place.
    Let's hope we get the long shot with Doutrive.

Go Miners