SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
UTSA
« on: January 04, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well I drove 6 hours to go watch the UTSA game with my kids, then 6 hours back home after a pathetic loss.  This might have been the worst I've seen a Miner team play in person.

Paul Thomas and Nigel Hawkins had family there watching.  Hawkins mom had no reservations telling him when she thought he wasn't playing smart.

There were basically three players that contributed in a meaningful way.  Odigie, Hawkins, and Gilyard. They had really nice games.  Unfortunately, in each case it was essentially 1 on 5 when they did something.  The team was not on the same page as each other.  Tons of turnovers due to miscommunications, etc.

Another huge problem was rebounding.  Every shot that went up, most of the players would immediately turn their backs and run up the court.  Only Odigie and Hawkins would try to stay and rebound.

Our defense was nonexistent early, then got it together and played pretty well.

We shot FTs well, and 3Ps horribly.

Odigie looks like an upperclassman out there.  Just calm and in control.

Thomas didn't do much except foul.  I think the refs are looking to call fouls on him, because some were pretty questionable.  Overall the officiating was of poor quality.  Not so much biased as hugely inconsistent.

If we can do better on team rebounding, cut turnovers, and shoot even a reasonable percentage we can beat them handily at UTEP.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: UTSA
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 12:21:07 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's to my understanding that Lathon didnt play. A good PG makes a difference.
    Any word on why he didnt play?
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 09:16:22 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • KROD says he had an injured hammy, and not sure if he'll play today.
    http://krod.com/utep-vs-utsa-3-keys-for-the-miners-quick-turnaround-against-utsa/

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 10:52:43 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Cowboys playing at the same time. Not many will make the game. I'll be there
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.