Author Topic: I Have Become Partial To This Team  (Read 802 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
I Have Become Partial To This Team
« on: November 28, 2018, 08:59:41 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Those of you who know me know that I am usually very reserved and reluctant to make my views known when it comes to UTEP sports.  My style is to lay back and quietly take in all views and mull them over for a long time so as to make reasoned cool judgements about situations that arise.  So, it comes as quite a surprise to me that I have to say that I love this team.  I love how they play.  I think I am going to be a real fan of our coach!  Coach Terry has our men playing defense!!  Coach Haskins would love watching this team play the last two games.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: I Have Become Partial To This Team
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:37:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I missed the game. Who won? :o

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 09:40:02 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Never mind. Wow, 62- 58. That's a close game and the difference was two points in each half.

We'll be alright come CUSA play. We got ourselves some players guys.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Mojo, I think this team will tear shit up if they keep playing defense the way they are, because the big men are going to get better quickly.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 11:53:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I love what this coach is doing. He is coaching up some really young kids on his to compete at a D1 level. Unlike the football team, they are getting better at a quicker pace than I anticipated.
    I was not able to make the game, but when I saw the final score, I was shocked. Thomas needs to start leading.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 05:36:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • wait a minute, you're telling me players are improving their skill sets while on campus?  We haven't seen that in quite a few years.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Here is a crazy thought I had late in the game.  When fouls are no longer a factor, can't you imagine the damage a Twin Towers could cause?  Talk amongst yourselves.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 08:26:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We are going to surprise a few CUSA big teams. I'm not saying this team is going to be top 5, but this is a team you cant sleep on.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 06:55:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The reason the team is improving is because of CRT and the staff. I wanted Terry to be the coach when Stull picked Floyd. They have been working on two different things with our bigs.
    1. Efe needs to use his feet, to get into better defensive position. He is great at using them on the offensive end but not defense, yet.
    2. EZ needed to learn how to play aggressive without fouling so much. That is why he was not a major factor the first couple of games, outside of UTPB. The staff was on him to not foul and it changed the way he played a little bit. He has started to figure out the balance and he will be a beast.

Some other things I have noticed:
    1. Hawkins injury has shaken his confidence. He is getting it back and will be really good after a few more games.
    2. Lathon got here late in the summer and he, has been trying to find his role. He has found it and he will be the 4* player that we thought.
    3. Gilyard is the player I thought he could be. IMO he would have tansfered if Floyd had stayed. The guy likes to be coached and responds well to the style of CRT. He is starting to remind me of Allen Iverson.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 05:44:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Those of you who know me know that I am usually very reserved and reluctant to make my views known when it comes to UTEP sports.  My style is to lay back and quietly take in all views and mull them over for a long time so as to make reasoned cool judgements about situations that arise.  So, it comes as quite a surprise to me that I have to say that I love this team.  I love how they play.  I think I am going to be a real fan of our coach!  Coach Terry has our men playing defense!!  Coach Haskins would love watching this team play the last two games.

Damn.  I wish I knew myself as well as you know yourself.

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 07:25:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I tossed that into the water and couldn't believe I hadn't gotten a single bite.  Finally.  lol  It is easy if you just spend an hour or two a day navel-gazing not because you are self-absorbed but out of a sense of confusion.

USAFminersfan

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I tossed that into the water and couldn't believe I hadn't gotten a single bite.  Finally.  lol  It is easy if you just spend an hour or two a day navel-gazing not because you are self-absorbed but out of a sense of confusion.

I was about to say......  ;D

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, I was looking at final stats for Saturday's game. Dbl figure scoring from Efe, Lathon, Gilyard, & Hawkins, while Thomas was 1pt away from 10. Also, I saw that Lathon & Gilyard had the highest rebounds & assists.
    Lathon- It seems our 4☆ guard has settled down & acclimated to the speed of D1 competition.
    Gilyard- Has become the natural leader of this group.
    Efe- is putting up Cedrick Lang's Sr year numbers.
    Hawkins- is quickly moving into that scorer that we need.
    Thomas- still not comfy in his own skin.
    Magee- sticking to just passing & ball control.
    Efe- the most athletic thoroughbred on the floor, but can't run in a straight line.
    All in all, we are way better than what I thought we were going to be. Our offense & rebounding is there & our defense is shockingly good. If we can only hold onto the ball, have depth, & hit free throws, this team can contend for the CUSA championship.
    Just an absolute pleasant surprise. I dont think we are ready to beat Marquette, but I do think that game can be a catalyst game to a more cohesive group of kids on the court.
    « Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:02:03 PM by Chanson »