Author Topic: OT; Prime numbers are not “nearly as scattershot” as previously thought  (Read 513 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The seemingly random digits known as prime numbers are not nearly as scattershot as previously thought. A new analysis by Princeton University researchers has uncovered patterns in primes that are similar to those found in the positions of atoms inside certain crystal-like materials.
    The researchers found a surprising similarity between the sequence of primes over long stretches of the number line and the pattern that results from shining X-rays on a material to reveal the inner arrangement of its atoms. The analysis could lead to predicting primes with high accuracy, said the researchers. The study was published Sept. 5 in the Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment.
    “There is much more order in prime numbers than ever previously discovered,” said Salvatore Torquato, Princeton’s Lewis Bernard Professor of Natural Sciences, professor of chemistry and the Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials. “We showed that the primes behave almost like a crystal or, more precisely, similar to a crystal-like material called a ‘quasicrystal.'”
    Primes are numbers that can only be divided by 1 and themselves. Very large primes are the building blocks of many cryptography systems. Primes appear to be sprinkled randomly along the number line, although mathematicians have discerned some order. The first few primes are 2, 3, 5, 7 and 11, becoming more sporadic higher in the number line.
    Torquato and his colleagues have found that that, when considered over large swaths of the number line, prime numbers are more ordered than previously believed, falling within the class of patterns known as “hyperuniformity.”
    Hyperuniform materials have special order at large distances and include crystals, quasicrystals and special disordered systems. Hyperuniformity is found in the arrangement of cone cells in bird eyes, in certain rare meteorites, and in the large-scale structure of the universe.
    The team showed that the order they found in the prime numbers maps to the pattern that results when X-rays interact with certain forms of matter. As a chemist, Torquato is familiar with X-ray crystallography, shining X-rays through a crystal’s three-dimensional atomic lattice. With diamonds or other crystals, this will result in a predictable pattern of bright spots or peaks, known as Bragg peaks.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • These results would be useful in helping prove one of mathematics greatest unsolved problems:  finding a formula that generates all known primes.  It is part of the Riemann hypothesis and, in particular the Riemann Zeta function.

While there’s 25 prime numbers between 1 and 100, they become less dense as the natural numbers increase.  There, however, an infinite number of primes, the first proof of which was given by Euclid in his extremely elegant proof about 500 BC.

And this wouldn’t be the first time results from an unrelated field come to bear on a long-standing math problem.  In the mid-1980’s, the British mathematician Andrew Wiles finally proved something called Fermat’s Last Theorem, which had been worked on for about 300 years.  It is related to the Pythagorean Theorem, a topic in number theory.  But Wiles’ proof dearth with something called elliptic curves - a relatively recent area of study and not something initially thought related to Fermat’s problem.

And I’ll stop there.

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • As a math and science teacher and who cuts and facets stones this blend is very cool.  From what I understand the crystal and its molecular structure create shadow patterns when x-rayed.  I almost have to guess that there may be a connection to degrees.  Anyway, this could be big.  Anytime long sought after questions are answered they provide clues to other answers and lots more questions.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I thought that there was a mathematical series for finding most, though I guess not all, primes?

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I thought that there was a mathematical series for finding most, though I guess not all, primes?

Are you thinking of Mersenne primes?  It’s a certain format for finding a subset of the prime numbers and have the format: 2^p-1, where p is prime and so is 2^p-1.  The largest one to date is 2^77,232,917 - 1, found in 2017 (over 23,000,000 digits).  But not all primes fit this format and some aren’t even prime (2^11 - 1 is not prime). There are 43 of these types of primes.

lieb

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • yeah, that's what I was thinking of.  I don't pay a lot of attention to theoretical math, but I guess primes are important in cryptography.

Even though I'm a professional engineer, I don't do a lot of advanced math.  Or really any.  The farther you move up the corporate ladder, technical "judgment" becomes more important than actually doing the work, since even checking the work now happens at lower levels.  It's more of a "does this path seem like a feasible and prudent approach".

I am however having to reteach myself calculus so I can help my daughter who is a freshman mechanical engineering major.  I will probably have to relearn differential equations too.  Sigh.

I don't know why I typed all this except for being bored in a hotel room and no one's really talking about sports anyway.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • NERDS!!!!!

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Some people only care about 3 sets of numbers: 36-23-36. LOL

;D

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

;D

If I may quote Charlie Sheen, "WINNING."
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

;D

Well, one is prime and one is a perfect square.

lieb

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

;D

That indeed is a set of prime numbers!

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: OT; Prime numbers are not “nearly as scattershot” as previously thought
    « Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

;D

That indeed is a set of prime numbers!

Not kidding but my ex was 35-23-36. But it was proven that a good figure does not necessarily translate to a good wife.