Author Topic: It Is Time To Talk  (Read 853 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
It Is Time To Talk
« on: October 29, 2018, 11:23:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We now have more than half a season of football under HC Dimel.  I don't think it is too soon to start grading his performance.  Using the same scale as in my previous post;

a.  Great!  We have a special one right here!

b. good.  solid as a rock and getting the job done.

c. ok.  Not great but not a problem either.

d.  Not so good.  Kind of weak.  A problem.

e. No. Won't do. Unacceptable.

Rate the HC to this point.  I understand that a quarterback and a head coach can't be judged on the same timeline, so for me there is a delay or reluctance to judge too quickly, but for discussion's sake I am already pretty sure, barring something very unforeseen happening, that Coach Dimel is already lost his shot at an "A" or a "B" and "C" is looking pretty iffy.  I would need to see a dramatic change in his decision making, from his Picket's charge mentality for me to allow a salvaging of a "C", and very quickly, he is dropping right past a "D" to an "F".  You may be willing to wait years to win.  I already have and am not satisfied with a shit sandwich for lunch because bread makes it better than just a bowl of shit.  You waited patiently for Kugler.  I hated it.  I hate this shit, too.  I may have just talked myself right into the "F".
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:27:21 AM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: It Is Time To Talk
    « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 08:12:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sorry but I have to give him an I.
    The D is playing much better than in a very long time.
    The O is absurd.  But UTEPDefense makes a case for its absurdity.
    But it's a very short leash on the offense for next year for me.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • we still haven't won. people in the know say we are improving. I will wait to pass judgement

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm with Z in that we can't pass a true judgement until the year is over. However, we are on this site because we look at micro and macro levels. I think it is OK to give some idea what is on our minds.

If i had to chose a letter, it would be D, but I think we are somewhere between C and D. D states "a problem" and I don't think we are at problem status for a 1st year. If you took out problem and replaced with improving, then I'm down with D 100%.

Last year we were confused, lost, out coached, and had little talent. I see little of that this year. The kids and the coaches are putting it together. I actually see a team forming and while it is coming slower than what I am used to, it is progressing none the less.

I mentioned in previous entries that I won't be buying season tickets next year. Well, if the team gives a better 2nd half of the season (or my wife offers me birthday sex), then I may be compelled to change my mind.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Now, to show what be a Miners fan is like, think of what the grades and comments would be like at any other school in the country.  What makes me double pissed is that I have to include nmsu!  We are 0 AND FUCKING 8 and that is ok.  I need more time to see.  Maybe three years.  I was tired of this shit Before Dimel started and he was supposed to stop it.  Seriously, patience, my ass!  Every fucking time I see him smile I just want to throw up my hands.  We are getting better.  Seriously, I dare anyone to go say that on any other schools message board.  Use your real name for a great laugh.  Someone find Kugler and say that to him.  The soccer coach was canned after 21 years and a shit load of winning.  Supposed to be setting a tone by the AD that expectations are higher now.  Meanwhile Dimel is 0-8 and not a word.  Again, the excuse is supposed to be a bare cupboard, but the defense is going to the same cupboard as the offense.  My patience has been gone for decades.  My Price showed it wasn't etched in stone somewhere that we have to lose. that it was our predetermined fate to be the shit sponge of college football.  But, we seem to be determined.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 04:40:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Now, to show what be a Miners fan is like, think of what the grades and comments would be like at any other school in the country.  What makes me double pissed is that I have to include nmsu!  We are 0 AND FUCKING 8 and that is ok.  I need more time to see.  Maybe three years.  I was tired of this shit Before Dimel started and he was supposed to stop it.  Seriously, patience, my ass!  Every fucking time I see him smile I just want to throw up my hands.  We are getting better.  Seriously, I dare anyone to go say that on any other schools message board.  Use your real name for a great laugh.  Someone find Kugler and say that to him.  The soccer coach was canned after 21 years and a shit load of winning.  Supposed to be setting a tone by the AD that expectations are higher now.  Meanwhile Dimel is 0-8 and not a word.  Again, the excuse is supposed to be a bare cupboard, but the defense is going to the same cupboard as the offense.  My patience has been gone for decades.  My Price showed it wasn't etched in stone somewhere that we have to lose. that it was our predetermined fate to be the shit sponge of college football.  But, we seem to be determined.

Dimel is the first new HC in a long time to come in and not immediately turn things around.  Think about Nord, think about Price, hell, think about Kugler.  All of them had really good first years.  And then the suckage started.  Price was able to keep things competitive a bit longer, but his last year saw him at 3 and 9.  This tells me the respective cupboards were not bare.  But for Dimel, I think it was. I admit to being disappointed by Locksley (sp?) but also wondered who his receivers would be even if he could throw.

And you can be angry about the 0 - 8 record, but there’s been strange things going on - the loses actually hurt more because we’re NOT getting slaughtered.  I honestly thought Tennessee was going to be a bloodbath.  Same with UNT and La Tech.   I think we took a step back against UAB, at least on offense.  That makes this weeks game against Rice very interesting and very important.  It is a road game in November - the usual double-whammy for the Miners.

I”m surprise no one has tried to compare UTEP’s situation to Nebraska’s.  Frost is in his first year and started 0 and 6.  Now they’re 2-6.  UTEP has games against Rice and Western Kentucky - two winnable games.  Sucks that they are road games, but that’s life.

I’d like to think we’re going to get two wins in these last 4 games.  Not a mountain to build on, but at least a start.

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 08:01:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Man, I can't wait to have to eat my words.  Meanwhile, I have already grown a beard waiting.

lieb, who do you think will start at quarterback this week?

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Man, I can't wait to have to eat my words.  Meanwhile, I have already grown a beard waiting.

lieb, who do you think will start at quarterback this week?

I have no idea.  I’d like to see the #3 QB get the start.  I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?

On second thought, considering how well the defense is playing, maybe we should leave them on the field for offense?  Sure, it’s old-fashioned football, but (again) what’s the worst that could happen?

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 05:43:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • As do I.

Who do you think Dimel will start?

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 08:52:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Brandon Jones according to the EP Times.   8)

saminer

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 02:22:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • See you tomorrow in Houston, Professor Lieb?

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 03:56:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • See you tomorrow in Houston, Professor Lieb?

That’s the plan.  My brother is driving down from Dallas and stopping in Huntsville to pick me up. 

Might be wearing on orange Sam Houston State polo since I don’t have any more UTEP stuff.  lol

lieb

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 06:00:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Brandon Jones according to the EP Times.   8)

This was totally going to be my answer to Ky’s question!

lieb

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 02:44:12 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Lieb & SAMiner are good luck charms. Getting better & better.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.