Author Topic: Absurd UTEP Football  (Read 2966 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Absurd UTEP Football
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 06:59:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • These are all awesome, but can anything really beat having the longest losing streak in the nation and in your school's history?

If I have attended every single home game during the longest losing streak in school history, does this mean that I should personally be added to this list?
    Me too & I'm still going tomorrow night. Glutton's for punishment.

Gluttony is one of the 7 deadly sins.  I think we're already in hell.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was thinking about our team. While our team can't put it together quite yet, our talent is a ton better. If you thought we would have a winning season, then you hit your head a little too hard recently. If you expected 4-5 wins, you were reaching (me). If you wanted 2-3 wins, then you went with what should be expected. If you guessed 0-1 wins, you are super conservative.
    No matter how you saw it, you know UTEP is building. Please be patient. It's coming.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 11:44:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hmmm, patience? We've been patient like for forever. Or like that meme of the buzzard who said, "patience my S I'm gonna kill something".

Chanson, as far as Miner fans are concerned that's the only thing we have left and hope. Once we lose hope then that's the end.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Low point for me was the 45-0 home loss to Colorado State in a sleet/rain storm with temperatures in the low 30s. The band and cheerleaders left after halftime and I counted less than 100 fans in the Sun Bowl with 1 minute left in the game.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 10:11:38 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I remember that lowlight Stan.  I was there.  We did leave at halftime because it was effing freezing with that wind.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 03:40:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I read on the other board we have never won in the eastern time zone.  How absurd is it to have a football program for over 100 years and never win in the eastern time zone?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Here's one, and I don't say it to piss anyone off, but close your eyes and picture a bar graph showing Miner wins for the last let's say fifty years.  Here is the absurd part, Mike Price wasn't winning enough games and was fired.  Let that sink in.  And the most absurd part was that even he agreed.  He just hadn't won enough games the last couple of seasons.  Does anyone remember when we had a chance to win games, against even pretty damned good teams? 

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 08:39:08 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Here's one, and I don't say it to piss anyone off, but close your eyes and picture a bar graph showing Miner wins for the last let's say fifty years.  Here is the absurd part, Mike Price wasn't winning enough games and was fired.  Let that sink in.  And the most absurd part was that even he agreed.  He just hadn't won enough games the last couple of seasons.  Does anyone remember when we had a chance to win games, against even pretty damned good teams?

We're kind of beating a dead horse here, but I think that it wasn't Mike, it was Eric.  When he left, everything went to hell and never recovered.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 09:27:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I really wished I couldn't have used Mike's name.  Really, it was more to look at the lines on the graph.  Nameless.  There is the swing of the needle and some signs of more than a vegetative state for Stull's time here and the movement of the needle during the Price time which was much longer and more sustained and now back to not even a vegetative state.  Flat lined for quite some time now.  Legally dead!  We are hooked up to machines dead.  But, in UTEP football absurdity, where one or two wins a year is the norm, I think his worst year was 4 wins and he had to go because he wasn't winning enough games.  Time for a new direction, a course correction, if you will.  Time to get back to basics.  Remember the dumpster fire. or what others call a temperature of 98.6?  I can't recall what Price's wins were per season, but I would guess he averaged around 6 wins a season-and it wasn't enough for a program that averages 1 or two wins a season forever.  If that isn't absurd, I don't know what is.  It is UTEP football. 
    « Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:51:48 AM by kyyote »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My kids were telling me that UTEP has the record for the longest winless drought in D1 history for football. They said they read it on social media.
    Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? Either way, I think we are witnessing the lowest of lows for our program.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • With kind regards to Colominer, sitting here, I glanced down at the index of topics and his topic, Miners Are Getting Better.  Only UTEP football, now what 17 or 18 games into a losing streak, could that absurdity leap off of the screen.  The longest losing streak in the history of the game and we are getting better. 

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 05:38:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My kids were telling me that UTEP has the record for the longest winless drought in D1 history for football. They said they read it on social media.
    Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? Either way, I think we are witnessing the lowest of lows for our program.

No my friend.  Just longest current losing streak.  We're only halfway there.  The longest in NCAA history is Northwestern with a 34 game losing streak from 1979 to 1982.  The students used to say that the other school might beat them today but they'd be working for them tomorrow.

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 08:44:12 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • With kind regards to Colominer, sitting here, I glanced down at the index of topics and his topic, Miners Are Getting Better.  Only UTEP football, now what 17 or 18 games into a losing streak, could that absurdity leap off of the screen.  The longest losing streak in the history of the game and we are getting better.

Looking for reasons for optimism...

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 08:47:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• [/quote]

No my friend.  Just longest current losing streak.
    [/quote]

Thanks. I think that is what they meant.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 09:04:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• No my friend.  Just longest current losing streak.
    [/quote]

Thanks. I think that is what they meant.
    [/quote]

Believe me I'm clinging to that.  Worse is actually possible and has been achieved by someone who is not us.  And, never forget that NMSU has had a 27 game losing streak in their history. Granted that its kind of like the cockroach looking down its nose at the dung beetle, but there you have it.