Author Topic: Players will now be allowed to play four games and still redshirt  (Read 378 times)

gumby

• Worm
    • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • FROM NCAA.COM

DI football to offer more participation opportunities

June 13, 2018 12:37pm

College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.

Division I student-athletes have five years to compete in up to four seasons of competition. The new exception allows football players to preserve a season of competition if, for example, injuries or other factors result in them competing in a small number of games.

Council chair Blake James, athletics director at Miami (Florida), said the rule change benefits student-athletes and coaches alike.

“This change promotes not only fairness for college athletes, but also their health and well-being. Redshirt football student-athletes are more likely to remain engaged with the team, and starters will be less likely to feel pressure to play through injuries,” James said. “Coaches will appreciate the additional flexibility and ability to give younger players an opportunity to participate in limited competition.”

The proposal was tabled in April over questions about timing, the number of games and potential application to other sports. To mitigate one concern, the Council adopted noncontroversial legislation to specify that midyear enrollees who participate in postseason football competition that occurs before or during the student-athlete’s first term at a school cannot use the exception.

Several representatives of different governance groups reiterated concerns that caused the proposal to be tabled in April. The Division I Student-Athlete Experience Committee will examine how a similar concept could be applied to other sports, including what number of games would be appropriate. In its review, the committee will consult with the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.

Both the Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision representatives on the Council adopted both rules. They are effective for the 2018-19 football season.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    Re: Players will now be allowed to play four games and still redshirt
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 06:38:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Imagine what this does:

1) At the FBS level, bowl-bound teams can play freshman who have not played all season.  Maybe a stud RB or lineman.

2) At the FCS level - teams can hold back impact freshment and them put them in once the playoffs start.

Fascinating.

lieb

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Players will now be allowed to play four games and still redshirt
    « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  So let me get this straight. The kid needs to talk to coach before he decides to open up for other schools. If kid talks to other schools before, other schools can be held to violations. Right?
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.