Author Topic: Football  (Read 1330 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Football
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:23:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm starting a football thread because I want to keep basketball & football separate.
    Anyway, we are ranked last in all of D1 football & Dimel is ranked 3rd to last for D1 HC's. We had great recruiting & a real positive spin from our coaches & AD.
    While I like where we are headed, next year would be a success if we can win more than 3 games. We have some talent, but the coaches are new, the type of play is new, & all the above is new to returning players. On top of that, Dimel has never had success his 1st year as a HC anywhere.
    I'm still going to games, but I am looking ahead and not today.
    I have a feeling tickets will remain at an all time low in regards to sales.
    Go Miners
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    Re: Football
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Certainly nobody knows how Dimel is going to workout at UTEP, but I went back to see how he has done as a first year head coach and it's not all bad:

- In his first year at Wyoming, he went 7-6.  He beat one Big 12 team(Iowa State) during that season.  That year he also played at #16 ranked Colorado and they only lost by 1 point!  They also played at #9 ranked Ohio State and lost by a respectable 14 points.  Their other 4 losses that season were by:  5 points, 7 points, 11 points, and 17 points.  So they were competitive in every single game that they played that year and they posted a winning record despite having 3 Big 10/Big12 teams on their schedule.

-  In his first year at Houston, he only won 3 games, but was again competitive in some big games.  He only lost by 15 at LSU, he lost at #14 ranked Southern Miss by only 3 points, and he lost another close 3 point Overtime game at Rice.  He did appear to end that season poorly though as his final 3 games were all losses and not close.

I have been told that Dimel bought Tim Floyd's El Paso house.  Let's hope that he has more success living there than Tim did.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:26:29 PM by UTEPDefense »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Good points D, but the Wyoming gig, he was replacing a coach moving because of success at Wyoming. Don't get me wrong, I'm not Trolling on the guy, but a Mike Price quick turn around is tough. All that being said, I like where things are headed.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That’s good point as well regarding Wyoming.  They had gone 10-2 and finished ranked #22 in the country the year before Dimel arrived, so he likely inherited a good team.  By the way, that Wyoming team that went 10-2 and finished ranked in the top 25 did not even get a bowl invitation that season. That is a far cry from today when 5 win teams sometimes get invites.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 09:19:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Unrelated to sports, I've been talking with insiders & they anticipate Natalicio being replaced by beginning of 2019. As soon as TX Board of Regants is put in place, the search should be quick. They will find someone with lots of experience, but only about a 2-3yr term.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Winston Dimel officially commits to UTEP! Giddy up!

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That is fantastic news. He will open up tons of running plays for RB & QB.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 10:32:24 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Dimel has already been able to do something that Kugler couldn’t, which is getting his Son to pick playing at UTEP over a power conference school.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 07:59:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nice.  Now can we keep the defense out of the backfield so he can get a clean shot?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 02:45:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nothing to do with current team, but Jones suspended for 1st two games from NFL for violating illegal substance rules. I think we all saw footage of him getting stopped by a cop.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 06:43:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just got my football tickets in the mail. I can't wait to see what these kids can do.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's been a while since I have posted anything about football. The news I'm getting from sources is that the defense is steeling the show in camp. That is super encouraging especially since we will have an explosive offense.
    1) Our O line is listed as OK, our QB(s) are listed as well above average, our backs are listed as above average, & our receiving core is  still on the bubble.
    2) D line listed as average, backers as average, & secondary above average.
    3) No one is reporting stand outs except for the QB race. What I am loving is the team is getting more accolades than individuals. Under Kuglar it was Jones or Hernandez & that was it.
    Multiple sources, as well as UTEP royalty, are saying a 5 win year. Granted the 1st team we are playing is a D2 school (I think), it looks like that is a reachable goal.
    All this news is shocking to me, especially since everything about football, except for the stadium, is new. And normally a new regime is written off the 1st year.
    I have been up & down on wins & losses just because unexpected dynamics keep coming into play.
    It's time to shit or get off of the pot. I'm ready for some f'ing football.
    Support your Miners & show up to the 1st game with friends. I really want these coaches & kids to know they made a great decision in investing in this program & the best city in the SW.
    Go Miners🤙
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:57:22 AM by Chanson »

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 05:59:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Northern Arizona is D1.  They are FCS, not FBS.  UTEP should win, but NAU plays in a tough conference and they’ve made the FCS playoffs in past years.

If UTEP stomps them, that’ll be a very good outcome.  A win of any kind will also be good.  Unlike the team under Kugler, I don’t see UTEP losing this game, but if they do, that speaks to the quality of the FCS programs.

lieb
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:05:20 PM by liebestraum »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 07:59:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I would be ecstatic with a 5 win season.  i could live with a 2 win season.  Mainly, I want to see some diversity of offensive play calling, and a defense that doesn't look completely lost.

Generally speaking, a new coach at UTEP produces more wins than we would think primarily (in my opinion) because the players have renewed hope.  I know they always play hard and do their best, but the intangible benefit of hope seems to produce 2-3 extra wins. Our normal trajectory is 2-3 years of progress and hope only to see it all come crashing down followed by several years of colossally bad football and despair.  Please God, let us break this cycle.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 11:29:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • For me there's only two games that I would insist the Miners win and that's the NAU and Enemas U games. That would be a winnable season for me as the others would be a lesser chance for us to win. First game because a loss would be insulting and the second because it would both be insulting and vengeful. I want us to start the string against them again.