Author Topic: Natalicio retiring  (Read 1923 times)

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
  • Explosives Engineer
    • View Profile
Natalicio retiring
« on: May 22, 2018, 12:45:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Per her e-mail to UTEP Alums.

When?  As soon as a successor has been appointed.

lieb

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    Re: Natalicio retiring
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Damn!  Beat me!

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Had to text my friends first....

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP is a better school because of her. She had built a superior foundation for the next Prez to capitalize on. I wish her the absolute best and I hope they find a Prez sooner than later. While the academic side looks to be very healthy, we need that leader to bring balance between that and athletics.
    Go Miners
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Exactly!  Well said Chanson!

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Damn!  Beat me!

Well, you can announce that I’ll be retiring in 725 days.  I have no idea if there’ll be a successor to me or not.

Lieb

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 07:23:19 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thanks Lieb!

HEAR YE!  HEAR YE!

IN 725 DAYS LIEB WILL GIVE HIS FINGERS AND TOES A REST AND WILL STEP DOWN FROM NAUGHT-DOUBLE NAUGHTING!!

Spelunker

• 2017 & 2019 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 07:28:29 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nicely Done!!!!!!!  I wonder if in retirement Lieb is moving down to Mexico to hang with our old bunny friend?

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 07:39:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just don't retire from the Den!

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 08:37:43 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Bumping this up - it is related to Chanson’s comment on the UTEP football thread.

Chanson (or anyone) - do you have any info on whether UTEP is looking to hire a president from within?  I ask because it has happened a couple of times during my current university - the Provost was chosen to be president after a nominal search.  The results have been mixed.

Also - many universities will use head hunting firms to drum up applicants, but I’m thinking a university president’s position at a place like UTEP would not need to do that; there’d be enough publicity and interest.

lieb

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • No doubt that there will be a search, although it's a toss up if it goes the standard national channels.  The current Provost does have a small shot at getting it only because it will only be a 2-3yr stint. The more important thing to think about is a lot of house keeping will take place once Natalicio is out. I mean there are a lot of positions that were created that have no title, little responsibility, & high pay. That will free up more $ and create better transparency within the University. Also, a lot of these dinosaurs that have done nothing for too many years will be pressured to either produce or retire. 
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 07:54:30 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I mean there are a lot of positions that were created that have no title, little responsibility, & high pay. That will free up more $ and create better transparency within the University.

This is interesting.  She always struck me as being insular, aloof, and dictatorial, but not as someone that would create phony high paid positions for cronies.  That was just based on her public persona, I never had any insight behind the scenes.  Nice to have an insider that can comment.

Is the 2-3 year thing specifically so someone can clean up Dodge City and then move on so the hard feelings go with them?

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • As someone directly affected by the retiring:

1.  The fiscal responsibility of the current Administration should not be questioned.  No high paying job with little responsibility was created. I know, I am doing the work of three with little pay incentive because of the hiring freeze imposed by the UT System.  UTEP does do more with less help from the State.

2. The Provost will not get it. She wants it, but too many people on campus already despise her.  She was known as a hatchet-woman at UNM, where she came from. The faculty hate her. Fact.

3. The search will be far and wide, but the biggest thing to consider is that the incoming person will be more aligned with the UT System ideas of what it means to be successful...no more access and excellence...you will see a drop in enrollment, and ultimately a whitewashing of the school.

4. Fuck the Aggies.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Z is 100% correct about 2-4. 1 is up for argument. I can name 2 positions that will desolve once Natalicio is gone. I won't name them publicly because the people holding those positions have been with UTEP for a long time & have had historical value. I personally have nothing bad to say about any staff or faculty I've come across, but it's time to grow & free up some of that $. It's also time to fix the accounting dept.

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 08:02:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I mean there are a lot of positions that were created that have no title, little responsibility, & high pay. That will free up more $ and create better transparency within the University.

This is interesting.  She always struck me as being insular, aloof, and dictatorial, but not as someone that would create phony high paid positions for cronies.  That was just based on her public persona, I never had any insight behind the scenes.  Nice to have an insider that can comment.

Is the 2-3 year thing specifically so someone can clean up Dodge City and then move on so the hard feelings go with them?

I found your comments about Dr. Natalicio’s public persona interesting because when I took her linguistics class back in the early 70’s she was anything but insular, aloof, and dictatorial.  Hers was the first non-traditional college class I ever took - by that, I mean her course was organized in modules and could be done at your own pace.  She was readily available for help and I had some really engaging conversations with her.  I also took advantage of the self-paced nature of the class and finished the class early because I was also taking an abstract algebra class that was eating me alive.  Once I completed her class, I had more time to do my mathematics.

But having been a university administrator myself, I can see how one might need to change depending on your audience.

lieb

lieb