Author Topic: Just saw on Twitter....  (Read 1033 times)

Dawgma

• Prospector
    • View Profile
Just saw on Twitter....
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I guess Tirus Smith is transferring... :-\

Aw damn and Trey Wade!
    « Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 09:17:04 AM by Dawgma »

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Just saw on Twitter....
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's official. We have no big men on record. We have that local 6'9" walk on kid, but he is exactly that. A walk on. I'm not all that upset. He had moves & the size for a Pro style offense & Terry is a run & gun coach.
    We need big men who can run the floor. I'm sure Terry was aware of Smith leaving a while back.
    Who else is officially leaving or left. I know Touchet is for sure gone. I heard rumors about 6'9" grey shirt Taj Royster leaving as well.
    Anybody have anything else? While we don't know who is coming, we can find out who's leaving.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There is a fresno recruit released from his LOI yesterday.  6 8 240 lb Efie Odigie from Houston.  Not to say hes coming here but...

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's official. We have no big men on record. We have that local 6'9" walk on kid, but he is exactly that. A walk on. I'm not all that upset. He had moves & the size for a Pro style offense & Terry is a run & gun coach.
    We need big men who can run the floor. I'm sure Terry was aware of Smith leaving a while back.
    Who else is officially leaving or left. I know Touchet is for sure gone. I heard rumors about 6'9" grey shirt Taj Royster leaving as well.
    Anybody have anything else? While we don't know who is coming, we can find out who's leaving.

Hey, it is as if Floyd never left, eh?  ;)

Actually, this should not be surprising - a new coach is coming in.  Players leave.  We’ll just have to wait and see how  we’ll suck pick up the slack going into next year.

lieb

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:12:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yes, this is not the time to relive that horrors of the last few years.  We will (and should) have turnover this year.  Possibly some next year as well.  After that, if it's the same revolving door then there's something wrong.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 07:47:38 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agreed Sis.  Those kids went through a pretty crazy season.  I was expecting some players might leave.  Saw on Twitter Tirus wanted to play someplace closer to home (Mississippi).  Trey also didn't get a whole lot of love from his coaches.  He was from Georgia. He probably misses the damp heat and bugs too... 

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:01:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It seems to me that the erosion of what I consider to be the reason for being a fan continues.  The team represents the school that I feel deeply about.  But, that by itself is almost empty of any passion or Fan-aticism.  I don't feel passionately about the Miners logo.  So, a large part of the fanaticism comes from the players on the team.  They are supposed to become part of "the family".  They too, would be proud graduates of the school and share the love for it with us.  I think that may have been why Floyd left.  I think his heart was with the school he loves and the frickin players have become completely mercenary.  Breaks my heart.  Maybe because I had a very different relationship with the team back then, but the last time I remember the team being a group of players that seemed to have an allegiance to UTEP was when TB brought in a bunch of young men from Memphis.  Even then, though, they came in as a group of Memphis kids, with more allegiance to TB than UTEP, perhaps.  They were such good men though, that we adopted them whether they liked it or not.  Under Floyd, we had years of one or two players we could get to know a year, so the connection has withered.  I am hoping that the new coach can bring back a reason to love the team again.  The very best way to build that kind of team is to build it upon a deep love and respect.  The players should have a deep love and respect for the school.  People that deeply love and respect something refuse to allow anything less that the very best from all involved to protect and bring glory to that something.  I maybe would rather watch a team I loved and who loved the school they represent try with all they had to win and come up short that watch a team of players who hated the school but could win.  Here's the deal.  I don't think we have to choose one or the other.  But, I am losing hope that we will get what I would want.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 12:30:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with 99% of what you said Kyy.  The only thing I would differ on is that IMO Floyd was every bit as mercenary with the players as they were with him.  He can say what he wants about the players but he had no loyalty to players he recruited either.

So how come professional sports can have dedicated fans?  I think its because every team has a handful of marquee players that are long-timers that come to represent the team that the people can identify as being "theirs."

College by its nature is short-term.  Four and out at most.  You've gotta have some players that stay the four years.  That you can see develop over time.  And you have to have periodic success as a team.  We all loved Big Ced.  Was he the greatest player ever?  No.  But he was there his whole career and worked his butt off and developed into a nice player who played with heart.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •   I maybe would rather watch a team I loved and who loved the school they represent try with all they had to win and come up short that watch a team of players who hated the school but could win.

You are essentially describing our current football team.  Our football team has roughly 100 players and our basketball team only has 13.  Both teams changed coaches this year, yet the basketball team has had MORE players leave than our football team, which again is made up of 100 players.  Our football team couldn't win a game, yet they only had 2 players transfer out after the season.  Our basketball team has already had 3 kids transfer. For our football program to have such a large amount of kids staying after a coaching change and also under the current climate of kids transferring in college sports is pretty remarkable

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 04:30:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I realized that about the football team.  I never said the team had a lack of talent just because it was local.  Obviously the larger the pool to choose from the better chance of catching a big fish, so recruiting outside of your hometown probably helps.  I always thought it was more a matter of unrelenting stupidity in the plays being run that was the problem.  What he was able to do with our local kids IN Spite of the dumbassed way he was doing things is really a testament to both the local talent and his ability to break down a brick wall even though it would have been so much easier to go around it or over it sometimes just to mix it up.  There is a reason I have predicted a 9 win season next year.  It wasn't the team that was pissing me off for the last few years, or even the losing.  It was the stupidity of it and of course the way he started off.  His choice of loyalty to the program was begun with a trashing of it.  Wrong foot, especially from the NO EXCUSES GUY! I hated that a UTEP man was what I called a douchebag from the get go.  I found no joy in watching him fail and make the team and school look the worst it has been since I started school there in 82.  Nothing, absolutely nothing would make me happier to have a football team of locals winning big.  The only thing that would make it even better is if it was being coached by a local UTEP grad like Robert Rodriguez.

Sis, I wouldn't disagree with your point about CTF And stand by what I said.  :)

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You certainly were correct about Kugler and I would love for you to be correct about 9 wins next season as well.  I see us at around 3, maybe 4 wins, but obviously would be thrilled to see more.

As for Rodriguez, I think it will be important for him to gain for some level of coordinator experience over the next few years.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 07:43:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • One thing I have been consistent about is loving the Miners and hoping way beyond hope that they would some how win.  I find a way to make myself believe they have a chance even when they have no chance.  But, my 9 win season is not just me being completely under the spell of the Orange Fog or anything.  I honestly believe that he did in fact create a team foundation around love and respect for UTEP from the local kids.  They can run and they can block.  With just a little creativity with a few passes at the time to keep a defense guessing just a little bit I think the team can put a pretty good offense on the field.  I think the defense started getting used to having to play without an offense for the past few years and showed glimpses of spirit and pride in spite of it.  Then, when Price came in and gave them a little feeling that the offense might get to play they really got after it.  You see how I can get myself talked into a nine win season?  Actually, if things went really right there is room for another win or two possible.

I agree about Robert, too.