Author Topic: Isaiah Osborne  (Read 913 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Isaiah Osborne
« on: January 22, 2018, 06:43:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So I was thinking.
    We picked up Osborne to fill the gap McSwiggan left. I think we got the better of the two. Osborne may be giving up 2 inches, but he makes up for it with hustle. I know they both could shoot, but who wins the rebound? My vote goes to Osborne.
    Anyway, I'm looking at next year. Why? Because this year is just trrrble. We need a few JUCO players that can turn this thing around quickly.
    I've also been thinking about some of the busts we have had this year. Willms, Flaggert, & Touchet. Yup, all white kids. Our freshmen have been delightfully good.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Isaiah Osborne
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 08:39:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I felt Touchet and Flaggert were a stretch from the time they were first announced.  Serviceable bench players perhaps who could give a guy a breather without screwing it up too bad, but not key players.  Then I came to believe that maybe they would turn into good players like Chris Craig suddenly did his senior year.  But alas, my first thought was correct.  Still, they stayed with us, played hard, kept their noses clean, and as far as I know contributed the best they had to offer all the time.  I can respect that.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 07:21:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Flaggert is now a grad student and Touchet is a Senior kinesiology major.  They get great grades.

Ronstr

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 07:34:13 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Holy crap. I didn't realize they were both a year ahead of schedule. Smart kids.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 12:44:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Good for them.  Such a tiny fraction of players are able to make a living playing ball, and of those that do most play for a few years overseas but don't make enough to carry them once their career is over.  Good to see kids taking advantage of the education being offered.

I honestly would not mind if all of college basketball was kids like that who are actual students that also play ball.  Yes, the caliber of play would be substantially lower.  Yes, we wouldn't see future NBA players very often.  But integrity has a nice clean feel to it.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • WTH do mean here, chanson...with the "white kids" comment?

So I was thinking.
    We picked up Osborne to fill the gap McSwiggan left. I think we got the better of the two. Osborne may be giving up 2 inches, but he makes up for it with hustle. I know they both could shoot, but who wins the rebound? My vote goes to Osborne.
    Anyway, I'm looking at next year. Why? Because this year is just trrrble. We need a few JUCO players that can turn this thing around quickly.
    I've also been thinking about some of the busts we have had this year. Willms, Flaggert, & Touchet. Yup, all white kids. Our freshmen have been delightfully good.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:34:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • WTH do mean here, chanson...with the "white kids" comment?
    Ha. It was a joke the way I formatted it, but the 3 I happened to mention that were busts on the court are white players. (A play off of "white men can't jump") If you are implying that I am prejudice against white players, then I'll clear it up now and say I am not.

So I was thinking.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I didn't imply that you were prejudiced against white players, your choice of words did.

But glad you cleared that up, sorry didn't see the movie and didn't get the joke.

WTH do mean here, chanson...with the "white kids" comment?
    Ha. It was a joke the way I formatted it, but the 3 I happened to mention that were busts on the court are white players. (A play off of "white men can't jump") If you are implying that I am prejudice against white players, then I'll clear it up now and say I am not.

So I was thinking.

Ronstr

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 04:03:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just my 2 cents but again some people get offended too easily. I got the joke, AND I am a white guy. If in this day and time you don't realize in the general population that in MOST instances us white dudes are less athletic than guys of different races, then you just aren't looking at things equally. I see it....I get it....I'm more of a realist.

I'm not going to get upset i you call me a cracker, white boy, or whatever....I just don't care. Too much PC crap in today's world.

Our white guys ARE less athletic. Doesn't mean ANYTHING except that. Don't read into it. It's a fact.

I personally love the players with personality. Gilyard is my favorite right now because off that. I don't think of the white kids as being busts. Matt is just fragile. Sucks for him....and us....good kid with great character.  Touchet and Flaggert are the glue to the team. They do the right things every time. Our freshmen kids make HUGE mistakes every game....but they are freshmen.

ehh....whatever....I guess I'm just old school. I just don't sweat the small things anymore

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 06:26:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Osborne is not a bust. Kid can just flat out ball.