Author Topic: Dimel Presser  (Read 1421 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Dimel Presser
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So,
    I saw the whole thing on YouTube. Everything on the surface looked and sounded fantastic. The guy is cool, soft spoken yet firm, and is really good on his feet. Every question asked he had thought of before and he was prepared. This is a seasoned collegiate coach and we all could tell. He was smart not to give Xs & Os until he evaluated his team's talent level. I also likes his confidence. At times it seemed cocky, but overall it was a good change, because it didn't seem like he was winging it.
    If you wanted to find the negatives, you had to dig into the details. For example he is confident in recruiting TX, but had no alternatives or plan B's. His view on defense was weak. His solution is to score more than them. While most love to hear about dynamic offenses, us football nuts know D will win the game.
    I didn't hear questions about the attendance issue or a plan about involving the city. I guess that's more for an AD to answer, but it affects him as well.
    While I am still convinced this was a safe hire, I think UTEP didn't take enough calculated risks to get the program going. I would gladly eat crow if we start winning and getting more people in the stands. Kind of like early Mike Price. Those 1st 3 seasons were absolutly unforgettable.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    Re: Dimel Presser
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:48:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Enjoyed the presser. I still wanted a high octane offense guy but did not know that K State has averaged 33 points per game for several years now. He is run heavy but not like Kugler was. Watch some highlights on youtube and you will see that his offense spreads the field. He even referred to it as a spread. Need a mobile and tough QB to run it.

Said he watched a lot of film and has met with the players. He likes the talent of the young QB's, has even watched their high school film. He likes the talent at RB. He likes UTEP's overall defensive talent. Has talked to coaches for staffing, talked to JC and HS football coaches about players. He may not be at UTEP until after the Cactus Bowl but sounds like he is already working.

mineralum95

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:32:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Watched the presser too. It wasn't the splash/sexy hire everyone wanted and my opinion needed to to ease some of the negativity that has been coming out of the athletic department. He seemed competent, prepared and excited for his chance to turn things around. He did mention that he's been a part of some turnarounds during his career. I'm going to take a wait and see attitude but its not like I can't walk into AD's office and demand that we re-open the search either.

Maybe we get a splash hire OC that opens up the offense and something for fans to get excited about.... Maybe we will be playing Alabama for the national title next season too!!! ;D

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 04:56:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with you guys, I thought it was a good press conference as well.  Definitely more optimistic about Dimel than I was yesterday.  I saw that Dimel was making $470,000 a year as OC for Kansas State.  Surely UTEP has to be forking out more cash than they did for Kugler in order for Dimel to have taken the job. 

Art Vandelay

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • When Stull hired Kugs over Fritz I was furious.  I remember Kugler showed up to the press conference without a jacket and just looked lost out there.  DD looks a little more seasoned, and well he is.  DD wasn't what I was hoping for but what I do know is that it will be a whole of alot better under him than Kugs.  He received HC training for us at Wyoming and Houston.  What stings is his O-12 season but after that debacle he's been under Snyder for most of that time.  While KSU isn't a world beater, they do win more games than they lose, and at this state of UTEP PAthletics, that's all we can ask for. 

He might not be exciting, but he isn't KUG/Natkin & Company.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't know.  He may be Kug's twin.  This is a thread on a K St message board.  http://www.k-statefans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3567

Art Vandelay

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't know.  He may be Kug's twin.  This is a thread on a K St message board.  http://www.k-statefans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3567

Well maybe he's Arnold and Kugs is Devito. He was the youngest HC at Wyoming @ 34. He won at Wyoming. UH stint worries me, but I'll believe half of his story and the other half from the arm chair QBs on minerdigs.  All in all, I wanted JMU's Houston, or Briles, or Keeler, or even Gilbert. But this is what we are stuck with, and I think it's better than Kugs and Co., that was atrocious.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 09:22:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I’m still surprised at the choice of HC, but reading some of the posts about his type of offense leads me to the following comment:  Remember when UTEP hired Kugler and some of people wanted Willie Fritz (who was at SHSU at the time)?  You should know that his offense at Sam sounds a lot like what Dimel runs at KSU.  When Fritz was there, SHSU was a spread, run-option kind of team.  They happened to have an outstanding running back and a very mobile QB.  They did pass, but if the running game was stuffed, SHSU was in trouble.  And yet Fritz was very successful then.  It is very likely the offense he would’ve run at UTEP is the same type Dimel says he runs (no pun intended).

As some have said, I care less about what type of offense the Miners run as long as they win more often than not.  I’m more than happy to give the guy the benefit of a doubt.  What I worry will happen is that if this new coach keeps UTEP’s level of suckage the same, he’ll still be kept around long after he should be gone, because that’s the way UTEP rolls.  Ugh.

lieb 

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Have they announced any terms for his contract?  How many years is he hired for at UTEP?

FarWestTexas

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Read somewhere 5 years

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 11:29:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Read somewhere 5 years

UGH! Kill me now! For all the brains that Gramma has it surprises me that they still haven't learned a thing. 5 more years of suckage.    :o

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Rather than bellyaching, I'm willing to give Dimel a chance.  He's bound to have learned something from Snyder at KSU.  I just hope he can successfully use that here at UTEP.  I'd settle for 5 wins next year and 7 or 8 the next as progress, hopefully.   8)

Twenty two football players from my school have scholarship offers.  Most of them have been or are currently my students.  Ten of them have them have offers from mid-level schools and two from Big 12 and SEC teams.  The latter are Juniors.  None of them even considers UTEP football even though the head football coach played at UTEP. 

I think Senter's real challenge will be finding a good BB coach.  He'll be judged by that more strictly than his choice of FB HC. 

At Mojo's age, happiness is complaining about everything.  LOL.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Oh, so if I state my opinions they're complaints but if you state your opinions you're not complaining. I don't usually give my full support until I see results. Too many participation trophies don't do anyone any good. I'll withhold my judgement when I see results not until then.  >:(

;D

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• That's three old guys, Ky, Mojo and Austin.  ;D