Author Topic: Is UTEP Athletics In the Worst Shape In 35 Years?  (Read 1055 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Is UTEP Athletics In the Worst Shape In 35 Years?
« on: December 02, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I recently wrote that UTEP Athletics is in the worst shape I have seen it since I enrolled in 1982.  Since I am prone to hyperbole, I figured I would see if I wasn’t just shooting off my mouth.  I went to the archives and entered the numbers into a spread sheet so that I could make some graphs.  Visuals can be helpful.  I actually went back to 1914 for football and 1947 for basketball which is where UTEP began their records in the archives just for a complete view of the historical records for those sports for added context.

Blue =football wins Red=football losses Yellow=basketball wins Green=basketball losses    
    It is difficult to see individual seasons but it does make it pretty easy to see that the football team has been horrible for most of the years since 1982(blue line indicates wins).  If we look carefully at the football wins we can see...

read the rest here;

http://www.kyyotesden.com/is-utep-athletics-in-the-worst-shape-in-35-years/

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Is UTEP Athletics In the Worst Shape In 35 Years?
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:49:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think the year needs to end before we can judge.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am curious as to how many games the basketball team would need to win to make it not the worst year, and also remind everyone that when we played in the WAC that conference was stronger, and when we played in Conference USA it was diluted to the point that half of the conference ditched us, again, I might add, leaving us turning up our noses at the teams that have beat us like a red-headed step-child for years, now.  In my charts, I wish there was some way to weigh it according to conference strength.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:48:01 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm hoping the low point was Floyd stepping down.  And I agree with Chanson.  We need to see how the season finishes before we can place that tag. Tonight's game was a start toward averting that! 

I was there at the game but I can't really take credit for it because if my dad hadn't wanted to go I would probably have blown it off.   They played very well and the Lobos played crappy.  I can tell they are a very good athletic team but they couldn't hit their shots.  It was a very enjoyable game to watch and I never felt like we were going to lose after we brought the score back up from only a 5-point lead in the second half.  It was like that one year that the Lobos wore UTEP jerseys in a tournament we had here because their equipment truck or luggage hadn't arrived or something....Only tonight instead of lending our uniforms we let the Lobos use our normal style of play while we hustled out on the court.  It would be nice if this wasn't just a fluke. 

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 11:13:28 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think the answer is a solid yes and you just looked at Football and Men’s Basketball.  It gets much worse when you look at all of our sports within our entire athletic department.  Take into consideration that:  Football, Men’s Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball, Softball, and Women’s Basketball(2016-2017) all are coming off of losing seasons.  Only Track and Golf are the only two sports in our Athletic Department to be performing somewhat well.

Here is the 2017 breakdown:

- Football went winless at 0-12.

- Basketball finished with a losing record of 15-17 during the 2016-2017 season. They now have another 1-6 losing record this season(we don’t count the D3 game).

- Women's Soccer finished with a losing record of 8-11.

- Softball finished with a 12-36 losing record.

- Volleyball finished with a losing record of 6-22.

- Women's Basketball finished with a losing record of 8-21 during the 2016-2017 season.  They are now 5-1 this season.

If we add all of this up, then all of the team sports in our athletic department have posted a combined record of:  55-126.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 05:38:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • As of right now, yes the worst in 35 years.  But were the 70s worse?  I was too young to pay much attention, but weren't we pretty awful back then in pretty much everything except track?

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 07:10:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • As of right now, yes the worst in 35 years.  But were the 70s worse?  I was too young to pay much attention, but weren't we pretty awful back then in pretty much everything except track?

The FB team was definitely worse even if they won 1 game a year. When a team loses 83-7 you just can't get worse than that. Tommy Hudspeth and Bill Michael had the worst Miner teams ever.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Here is the graph of fb and bb wins.  As I said above, please keep in mind the competition.  How bad would the scores have been this year if we had played BYU, Utah,  Houston, Memphis, UCF, or any number of teams we used to play.  Remember that we were ditched repeatedly because teams wanted to get the anchors from around their necks.  The MWC And C-USA teams we used to play would have killed us!  By the way, we talk about more in football, but keep in mind the teams that we used to play basketball against before doing battle with the likes of UTSA, NT, and others in what we used to look down our noses at conferences that we have now become.

And, I am glad that Defense brought up the other sports because I just couldn't get them into charts.  I would say that if we could weight the charts to reflect the strength of the teams played in the charts there would be absolutely no doubt.   

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The thing that kills me is teams such as Memphis and UCF used to have very bad football teams.  I can almost remember a time when UTEP was considered better than either of them.

Of course, I can also remember a time when gas was $0.33 per gallon....

lieb

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Look at FAU. I really want a young, hungry, proven, & kick ass recruiting OC. I'm done with this old school crap. 
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 07:50:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The thing that kills me is teams such as Memphis and UCF used to have very bad football teams.  I can almost remember a time when UTEP was considered better than either of them.

Of course, I can also remember a time when gas was $0.33 per gallon....

lieb

Dang, Lieb. I didn't know you were older than me? 33 cents a gallon?   :o

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 04:47:16 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hey!  I remember 25 cents a gallon.  There! 8)

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hey!  I remember 25 cents a gallon.  There! 8)

I was just pulling Liebs leg. I know I'm older (and wiser) than him but I do remember $.25 cent gas. Whatsmore I remember working at my first job during the summer and having the means to fill up the tank on my 1942 Plymouth. It's funny that I was really driving what many people would call a jalopy but even many students at La Jeff would kill to have that jalopy. Maybe kill is an overstretch, LOL.