Author Topic: Keeler of SHSU is a candidate for UTEP FB coach  (Read 2520 times)

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
    • View Profile
Keeler of SHSU is a candidate for UTEP FB coach
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:46:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • 1st time I've seen someone come out and say coach "x" is a candidate rather than UTEP should look at this candidate. I hope it's correct as Keeler would be a solid hire for UTEP.

Bradley Mason‏@bradthetruth 1h1 hour ago

Sam Houston State (FCS – TX) head coach K.C. Keeler is a candidate for the head coaching opening at UTEP. Keeler is 44-11 leading the Bearkats since 2014, and prior to that was the head coach at Delaware, where he went 85-52 with a national title in 2003.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    Re: Keeler of SHSU is a candidate for UTEP FB coach
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Another source.

UTEP: Sources tell FootballScoop that Sam Houston State (FCS – TX) head coach K.C. Keeler is a candidate for the head coaching opening at UTEP. Keeler is 44-11 leading the Bearkats since 2014, and prior to that was the head coach at Delaware, where he went 85-52 with a national title in 2003, and two more appearances in the FCS national title game with the Blue Hens (2007 and 2010). Keeler currently has the program in the FCS playoffs and is 10-1. If Keeler is the choice for UTEP, this could be a real life Nuclear Winter scenario; however we would not expect Keeler to formally interview or make any decisions before Sam Houston’s playoff run is over.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agh.  I don’t want Keeler to leave.

That said, SHSU’s playoff run will probably end this weekend.  Sure, the Kats are 10-1 and South Dakota is 8-4.  I’ve watched enough SHSU football to think they might be overrated this year.  The only thing that might help is that the game is being played in Huntsville.

It would be interesting to see if a FCS coach could turn things around at UTEP.  FCS coaches moving up have been a mixed bag.  I think Jim Tressel went from Youngstown State to OSU, but SHSU’s previous coach (Willie Fritz) went from SHSU to Georgia Southern and then Tulane.  He has not exactly set the world on fire.

lieb
    « Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:45:18 PM by liebestraum »

Spelunker

• 2017 & 2019 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Once upon a time (in the 80's) UTEP hired a D1AA Coach (now known as FCS) named Stull from U Mass.  That actually worked out quite well.  I think it might be worth another shot, as a complete turnaround is what is needed now.

There are 2 damn good candidates on the list.  Sounds like a good plan to me!

Montee

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 10:00:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Would be awesome if we had a list of all our former coaches and where they came from before coaching here.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • 1st time I've seen someone come out and say coach "x" is a candidate rather than UTEP should look at this candidate. I hope it's correct as Keeler would be a solid hire for UTEP.

Bradley Mason‏@bradthetruth 1h1 hour ago

Sam Houston State (FCS – TX) head coach K.C. Keeler is a candidate for the head coaching opening at UTEP. Keeler is 44-11 leading the Bearkats since 2014, and prior to that was the head coach at Delaware, where he went 85-52 with a national title in 2003.

I was on the Keeler bandwagon when it was announced we needed a coach to replace Price but instead we went with favorite son Kuglar. We know how that turned out. I say don't hesitate, give it to Keeler. He knows Texas and it's been proven he can coach. I'd be mighty disappointed if he wasn't given the job and they go with Price's son because of his connections to UTEP.

kuhlero

• Prospector
    • UTEP MINERS!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • "Regardless"- My Tio Tencho

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If Keeler really is being considered by UTEP, go watch the SHSU/South Dakota replay on ESPN.  The Kats won 54-42, racking up 700+ yards total offense.  Of course, the defense gave up about 650.

Ask yourself if UTEP could run that offense with the players they currently have.

SHSU has a good QB and at least three outstanding receivers.  I’d venture to say the receivers are better than any UTEP has had in the past four or five years.  If Keeler did come, he’d have his work cut out for him.

lieb

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 05:39:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yes.  We would pick up a QB and some receivers in JC as a short term fix, and we would not have a problem recruiting those kind of players to that system.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 07:02:45 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yes.  We would pick up a QB and some receivers in JC as a short term fix, and we would not have a problem recruiting those kind of players to that system.

That's what any coach would need to do in order to have at least some success early on. Keeler should carefully consider whether he can sell UTEP and El Paso to the athletes he will need to put UTEP on the right track. I'm sure there are also other candidates out there that we are not hearing about. It should be an interesting couple of weeks for our football program.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 07:47:30 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • From what I understand, scholarships are pretty much set.  Kugler's players get good grades, so they will be with us for years.  So, we will have a few at a time to turn the mess around.  Unlike a team starting completely over from scratch as we need to, we are a solid team, well balanced in the distribution through the upcoming classes.

liebestraum

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • From what I understand, scholarships are pretty much set.  Kugler's players get good grades, so they will be with us for years.  So, we will have a few at a time to turn the mess around.  Unlike a team starting completely over from scratch as we need to, we are a solid team, well balanced in the distribution through the upcoming classes.

As I understand it, scholarships are one-year & renewable.  So, if a coach does not want a player, he can let him go.  This is how Floyd operated.  Of course, a huge turnover could cause the university to run afoul of the (whatever the thing is that the NCAA does to track graduation/completion rates).

That is to say, I don’t think the scholarships are pretty much set.  I could be wrong.

lieb

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Keeler is past his prime & almost 60. He's not the future of Miner football. Unfortunately UTEP has this guy as a top 3 candidate.
    We need to go young.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I took Senter to mean that he is looking for a young, energetic go-getter.  Keeler is just a good name to include.  The fix is in.  I have $5 I'd put on it.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I took Senter to mean that he is looking for a young, energetic go-getter.  Keeler is just a good name to include.  The fix is in.  I have $5 I'd put on it.

$5 on who? Who would the fix be in for?

And by the way folks, ULL just fired their coach and they paid him over $1 million per year. More competition from them and Rice for a football coach.