Author Topic: A tragic story, but great read...  (Read 539 times)

Alaska Miner

• Assayer
    • View Profile
A tragic story, but great read...
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:14:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • After Coach Tim Floyd retired the other day, I found myself somewhat melancholically contemplating the other five or so men that have tried (and failed) to replace the legendary Hall of Fame Coach Don Haskins at UTEP, and then I remembered his INITIAL replacement, right after Coach Haskins retired... Jason Rabedeaux.
    Wow. What a tragic story. Hard to believe that this guy went from one of the most promising coaches in college basketball to where he ended up, broken and dead...in Saigon.
    This is truly a tragic story, but this article is a fantastic read... So sad, though. To think what might have been, had he been able to control his inner demons... :(

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12636370/former-utep-coach-jason-rabedeaux-death-remains-mystery
    Let's go Brandon!

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: A tragic story, but great read...
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:30:09 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Being a head coach at the collegiate level seems to be an extremely stressful career.  It chews up and spits out people.  The article says Saigon is a place where "People and their intentions come whole and leave broken."  That seems like a good summary of the collegiate head coaching world.

I don't want to take away anything from the tragedy, but I never believed in what could have been with him.  To my eyes, he very clearly did not have the Xs and Os to put together a proper game plan.  I wonder whether at some level he realized this and that contributed to the drinking and ultimate downfall.

Gillispie did have it at least at the UTEP and A&M level but still couldn't keep the demons away.