Author Topic: Tim Floyd retires  (Read 1722 times)

stanman505

• Prospector
    • View Profile
Tim Floyd retires
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:16:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It is being reported that Floyd announced he is retiring after the loss to Lamar.  It was tweeted by Felix Chavez.  I really hope it is true and not that he was just throwing a temper tantrum.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Tim Floyd retires
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:26:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Bobby Braswell confirmed on the after show with Tysh.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:32:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Heard it in the car leaving the game.   There was no emotion on the floor until a few minutes left in the game...If they would have played with a sense of urgency earlier...maybe...just maybe they might have had a chance.  It was time...Still a shock though...

FarWestTexas

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 10:18:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Chanson need more scoop! Where we going from here?!? What a magical day in MinerLand!

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:31:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I've got nothing. 1st it was Stull, then it was Kuglar, and know it is Floyd. Is Natalicio next?
    Lots to soak in. At the same time, lots of opportunity. I would think Braswell & Johnson would take over the rest of the season. I would bet we lose our better recruits.
    I need a break.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 11:36:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Greg Foster is interested in the job.  I am truly saddened that Tim Floyd wasn't successful.  I know he loved the school.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 05:32:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wow.  Very strange timing.

It is clear he loved UTEP; I just wish things had worked out better.

lieb

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 06:02:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • New AD introduced in the afternoon and Floyd retires that night. Coincidence?

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 06:09:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Senter doesn't let grass grow under his feet does he?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 06:29:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't think Senter had anything to do with it.  I think we are going to hear more on this. 

Here is a link to his announcement;

https://www.theprospectordaily.com/2017/11/27/tim-floyd-announces-retirement-after-1-5-start/

Read between the lines. 

“We had to try and rebuild it from scratch and got to 22 and 23 wins and I can’t even explain what’s happened here in the last three or four years in the new world of college basketball,” Floyd said. “From some of our signees not showing up, to some people that we tried to rely on that might have left early to injuries, and they continue to happen.”

“I love those players and those players know that I love them,” Floyd said. “My family has told me they feel like it’s time. I’ve had some issues of my own here in the last two and a half weeks, three weeks. And I’m going to be fine. But I wanted to coach my last game at this university, and I appreciate the fact that we got the opportunity to do that.”

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:35:35 AM by kyyote »

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 07:46:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I wonder how often, if ever, a new athletic director has stepped into the job and had to fill the coaching positions of the two largest sports programs at a university right off the bat.  Like Chanson said though, this should be looked at as an opportunity rather than a detriment. 

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 10:07:53 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have had time to think about this Floyd issue.

1st I want all to know on this board that I had followed Floyd in his career and am very proud what he has accomplished. I think he deserves our respect, because he really is a Miner. He came to UTEP hoping he could use his success and experience to put UTEP back in a positive light. What he and we didn't realize was that the dynamics, politics, and the structure of the game had made quick changes that only Big 5 conference schools could keep up with. With a coach coming to the end of his career, these new changes made the hill steeper and steeper. If you think about it, Haskins and Floyd are the only coaches that actually cared for this city and this school and really wanted to be here.

So..., he is gone and this school needs to update itself. I only hope all agree that we never forget our history, but shouldn't try to keep living in it.
    With that said, we need some young blood. We need blood that knows how to bring in the kids, keep them, and push to be a powerhouse in our conference. Notice I didn't say "New Blood." I think coaches with ties to UTEP is fine, but those ties need to be young, vibrant, thinking outside the box, and must have something to prove.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • One word: Finally.  ;)

It doesn't matter how he loved UTEP, we do too and it was killing us how bad we had gotten...in both sports. I'm sure there some coaches in smaller schools with winning records that would be interested in our school. I just hope Senter is up to the challenge, we'll be checking closely.  8)

kuhlero

• Prospector
    • UTEP MINERS!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 11:05:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Health was a major motivator in this case.  Wish him well and hope he resolves his health issues.  The kids are in good hands with Phil Johnson and the rest of the staff.  I'm pulling for Foster.
    "Regardless"- My Tio Tencho