Author Topic: Boise St. game thoughts  (Read 647 times)

stanman505

• Prospector
    • View Profile
Boise St. game thoughts
« on: November 17, 2017, 04:31:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was stunned that we blew that game, but I realized a couple of reasons why.
    1. Frazier missed the front end of the free throws that would have sealed the game.
    2. Frazier and Gilyard did not communicate on the pick and roll at the top of the key which led to an uncontested dunk.
    3. Floyd did not put Matt Wilms in the game to be a rim protector when Frazier was going to the line for free throws
    4. Gilyard did not communicate with Omega which allowed Boise States best player to get a basket and foul.
    5. We were not ready for the switching on the side inbounds play
    6. Gilyard was not ready for the pressure of the game and made mistake by stepping out of bounds

In a nut shell the game was lost because we have so many new pieces in place that are not comfortable with each other yet.  Two of the six reasons I feel the game was lost in the last 30 seconds fall at the feet of Floyd, the other four are on the players.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Boise St. game thoughts
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:56:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm generally not a huge fan of trying to identify specific plays or calls by the referees as reasons why we lost.  In the totality of a game, even one you win by 30 points, you could find six mistakes by players or coaches that cost points.  To me, the right question is whether the game should have ever been so close that it came down to one thing here or there.  It's the 25 mistakes leading up to the final seconds that make that happen.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • According to the announcers, we were supposed to lose.  It seems to me that we are already setting high expectations, maybe based on one game, while ignoring one that was much different.  The mess on the sidelines at the end, I do think is because of the Gilyard being in there.  Touchet, Flaggart, either one is much more comfortable in that situation I would think.  But, this is Tim Floyds MO.  In the early games, he tries out lots of defenses and combinations of players.  NOW, having said all of that, the first half should be very disconcerting to us all.  Once again, it seems like we have a team that doesn't have a pure fucking shooter that vcan light up a team to keep them from packing the paint against our big man that has spent 4 years playing like a 6 foot guard.  Matt may be the nicest 7 footer ever to lace 'em up.  Looking to get outside for a sweet jump shot instead of breaking motherfuckers arms who dared get near him as he jammed the ball down through the net.  I wish Don Corleone would slap him and tell him to,"Play like a man!".  I wish Floyd would open practice with free kicks to Wilms nuts until he started cracking heads. It ain't going to happen though.  So, it appears to me that we are about where we always are.  Half assed. We are experienced, but looking for some spark from the new kids.  Then, next year we will be in a complete rebuild year.  We will win enough games to be right around the Mikey Mouse Cotillions level, but dancing is no where closer than it has ever been since CTF has been here.

I have been about as much of a CTF supporter as there is, but I have to say that after the amount of time he has had here, the "program" is flat out not a "program".  It is this seasons collection of players.  The "program" is basically Wilms, Harris, Touchet, and Flaggart.  One is a 7 footer that if he played like Vince Hunter would be a lock for the NBA, but seriously, put him up against Kayla Thornton and he would have gotten beat up.  Harris is "pretty good" and Flaggart and Touchet are evidently really good students and that is also what a team needs.

Another 20 win season. Maybe.  Just barely.  And the beat goes on, la de da de de, la de da de da.
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:25:22 AM by kyyote »

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Both teams made tons of mistakes. That's what happens in the beginning of seasons. The question is, why couldn't UTEP close? This learning experience came early in the season and that is a good thing. Let's hope these knuckle heads habe better cohesion in a few minutes. 
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • These kids look like they have never played together. Cudoes to Frank Martin's squad. They are playing ball the way we all like to see. Unfortunately it is against our Miners.
    I think we all can see that our team really does have talent. They should be able to put it together. I hope sooner than later. If they can't, I will jump on the fire Floyd wagon.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am not saying fire Floyd.