Author Topic: McElwein to UTEP!!!  (Read 1907 times)

MinerMaestro

• Prospector
    • View Profile
McElwein to UTEP!!!
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:49:54 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  8)

Hell, what he did at Colorado State was a minor miracle!  Utep could use some of that mojo....

"My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking."
    - Gen Ferdinand Foch

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: McElwein to UTEP!!!
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Who the heck is McElwein? A player? A coach? You just flunked the first course in journalism. Who, Where, Why, When, How.

More info please.  ;)

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Who the heck is McElwein? A player? A coach? You just flunked the first course in journalism. Who, Where, Why, When, How.

More info please.  ;)

You may have just flunked FB fandom 101.  ;D

McElwain just got fired from HC at Florida. He coached successfully at Colorado St before that and had two good seasons at Florida.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:34:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • And he totally wants to step down to a winless school in CUSA.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 10:43:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We are not getting a big coach. We will get a young coach who will try to prove himself. UTEP has no pocket book to open up. Other departments are being drained to keep up with travel & multiple jerseys & helmets.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 06:56:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If multiple departments are being drained because of the cost of uniforms and helmets, the head coach isn't the only one that needs to be canned!  If a university that is constantly busting at the seams and building more buildings faster than anyone can keep up with, there shouldn't be any shortage of money.  30 thousand times $10 a student per semester generates $600,000, not including the summer sessions. combine the two summer sessions at $5 a student and the money gets up near a million bucks.  An additional 30  fucking dollars a year. 

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 07:02:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If multiple departments are being drained because of the cost of uniforms and helmets, the head coach isn't the only one that needs to be canned!  If a university that is constantly busting at the seams and building more buildings faster than anyone can keep up with, there shouldn't be any shortage of money.  30 thousand times $10 a student per semester generates $600,000, not including the summer sessions. combine the two summer sessions at $5 a student and the money gets up near a million bucks.  An additional 30  fucking dollars a year.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that any department is being drained to benefit UTEP athletics. UTEP may not hire a big time coach but there really is no reason that it can't raise the HC salary to an FBS respectable level. 

UTEP paid $515k for Kugler this year while the avg HC salary in C-USA is about $760k. A good AD could find a way to raise the difference or more in order to hire a solid coach. We will find all that out soon.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well I'm sorry to say, but I have seen it 1st hand. Yes, building are popping up like pimples, but the current administration. Will never use money raised to put in the pocket of a coach. Academics is a sure thing. Let's hope a new AD will be ALLOWED to raise money for a coach.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well I'm sorry to say, but I have seen it 1st hand. Yes, building are popping up like pimples, but the current administration. Will never use money raised to put in the pocket of a coach. Academics is a sure thing. Let's hope a new AD will be ALLOWED to raise money for a coach.

As a university faculty member myself, I am perfectly fine with this.  Unfortunately, I also know that some of that extra money is used to pay for administrative bloat and not on nuts-and-blots academic uses.  I can't speak for UTEP, but I know at my university, precious little of the extra money goes into paying for say, a new electron microscope for the physics department, or advanced technology for any of the sciences.  Humanities?  What the hell kind of money to they need to buy extra books?Art?  How expensive can oil paint be?  Math?  Don't y'all just use chalk and erasers?

So, I don't feel to sorry for athletics.  The money comes in and goes to hire an assistant vice president of the newly created office of congressional lobbying and plausible deniability of misappropriation of student funds.  $150K/yr. 

lieb

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We talked about this a few posts back. UTEP got creative with incentives like a percentage of ticket sales after so many tickets have been sold. A few others are the use of free demo cars in exchange for tickets, living arrangements, tuition assist (just ask Braswell & his kids), etc. Price brought his whole family here to take advantage of the perks. Those perks equal money. Then you add salary to that. It really is a good deal. It just needs to be sold better.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 12:47:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

As a university faculty member myself, I am perfectly fine with this.  Unfortunately, I also know that some of that extra money is used to pay for administrative bloat and not on nuts-and-blots academic uses.  I can't speak for UTEP, but I know at my university, precious little of the extra money goes into paying for say, a new electron microscope for the physics department, or advanced technology for any of the sciences.  Humanities?  What the hell kind of money to they need to buy extra books?Art?  How expensive can oil paint be?  Math?  Don't y'all just use chalk and erasers?

So, I don't feel to sorry for athletics.  The money comes in and goes to hire an assistant vice president of the newly created office of congressional lobbying and plausible deniability of misappropriation of student funds.  $150K/yr. 

lieb

+1
    Every school has faculty that is a sore thumb and instead of getting rid of them, they give them a raise and a new designation. This designation gives little power, gets them out of the way, and makes the resume look pretty when looking to go somewhere else. I guess this is Academia's way of avoiding termination risk. My corporate world is much different. If you don't perform, you are gone. Nothing complex about that.

SHYMINER

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • f that's the case and UTEP is forever poor... Then why take so long to hire Chris Parks or Lisa Campos and get started on that sub 500k coaching search... Seems like it goes on and on with the excuses... How the hell can half those CUSA teams pay their staff, but UTEP cannot... If athletics is taking away from academics, then they are clearly not ready for Tier-1 status either...Since UTEP cannot get funding from the state. They really need to push for a student fee in tuition for athletics... Given the state of athletics, that's going to be one hard sell.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sumlin of Tex A&M might be available.

From swcroundup.com

Sumlin A&M to Part Ways After the Season

Multiple sources are now reporting that Texas A&M and Kevin Sumlin are going to part ways after the 2017 season concludes. Apparently, the feeling is pretty much mutual, but sources report that the University is preparing to let Sumlin go and move in another direction. No one has any idea what that direction might be, but we can assume Aggie fans will clamor for John Gruden or Chip Kelly. Neither will take the job, but you can dream.

Ambler

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 12:16:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sonny Dykes is interested

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Assayer
      • View Profile