Author Topic: new Miners, same as the old Miners  (Read 366 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
new Miners, same as the old Miners
« on: September 01, 2024, 06:33:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We have a dynamic offense that is able to get off the field much quicker than Dimel's.

OK yeah this was Nebraska and we knew we were gonna get beat pretty bad.
    Guess what?  A bunch of FCS guys moving up couldn't compete with P5 players.

Quick thoughts:

D actually wasn't too bad.  They were badly outmanned on the lines but I expected this.  I fully expected Nebraska's lines to open holes wide enough to drive a semi through.  But they adjusted and made plays.  5-10 DBs struggle against 6-3 WRs.

O was really bad.  Again, it doesn't really bother me that their hosses were bigger, stronger, and faster than ours.  But it does really really bother me just how many times someone came through the line completely untouched.  All game long, and our offensive genius couldn't adjust to that.

We might be OK in conference play, need to see us against a comparable opponent.  Hard to tell much in this game

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: new Miners, same as the old Miners
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 06:51:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The measure of the team can be seen on lists from year to year. The measurements and those who do the measuring may change but our relative position on the list has us always in the top ten of the worst. The only way we don?t get worse is that they keep adding lower level teams. They pass us up pretty quick. Seems as though they actually count winning as an important part of competition.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2024, 10:23:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't think anyone was expecting a Miner win but I guess they did alright considering the scores in other football games against the Cartel. I did see a few bright spots but it wasn't at QB. We are badly in need of a REAL team leader and Mc and the other guy (I can't even remember his name that's how much I thought of him) aren't gonna do it. Prepare to see the Miners at the bottom of the league again. This kid was probably surprised and I wouldn't doubt that the Nebraska coach didn't tell him, "welcome to FBS football".

All the cheerleading that he was doing was not enough to equalize the talent with the other team. Since it was his first game I'll give him some slack but he better improve as he won't be playing against the Cartel again until later when we get another big pay check.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 09:33:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Very disappointed in the offense. O-line needs work for sure. This is Matt Rhules 2nd season at Nebraska and he has a lot of returning starters, an elite defense and a very impressive and highly rated qb, even as a freshman.

Too early to diss this team. If they struggle with SUU or, God forbid, lose to them, then fire the coach. J/k.

If the team jells enough to win vs SUU with room to spare, gives a good game vs Liberty, the preseason favorite to win CUSA, then I think the new staff will be on their way to building a good program.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 10:10:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You would think that after 12 years under o line coaches/head coaches that the offensive line would be the one thing you wouldn?t have to worry about. After forty years of UTEP football we got used to being able to get the cupcake win as one of our two wins a year. This year I am actually worried about the SUU game. For the first time in twelve years the o line and entire offense is a crapshoot. For more than a decade we knew it was going to grind down the damned clock. This game will be two guys in a tough man competition throwing wild haymakers and hoping something lands. Trouble is, SUU is probably much better at it. Look at their last five games. They are Utah boys used to playing to win.
    This game is going to give us an idea of how the team is going to do against cusa level competition.
    As I have said, the difference between UTEP and Bama is the players their coaches and schools attract. We aren?t very attractive. We are the Miss Hathaway of college football. Jethro and the other big boys don?t even consider us worth a look. We will get better looking with wins. Wins and name winner coaches are attractive. If we beat SUU it will be like Miss Jane took her glasses off. Conference play is going to be pillow fights at at Girl Scout camp. If we win six games Miss Hathaway will be wearing a bikini. Damned if that ain?t one helluva deal, right there.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2024, 11:04:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Miss Hathaway in a bikini? No thanks, I'd rather have Ellie Mae.

I'm not too confident in a Miners win because Utah teams have always given us headaches and we usually lose to them. Utah St., Utah, it doesn't matter which one, even So. Utah. These Utah kids are good living Mormons and they grow them to be big like cornstalks.

It'll be a close one, you see.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2024, 11:18:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Maybe we can take off the glasses and let our hair down and turn into Anne Hathaway?

I don't think the problem was the personnel really.  They were going to get dominated.  I think the offensive blocking scheme was being followed and the opponent figured it out.  And our coaches couldn't adjust.