Author Topic: Golding -- another year or fire now?  (Read 3203 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Golding -- another year or fire now?
« on: March 17, 2024, 11:03:49 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Subject says it.

My opinion -- we led the country in every category that matters to Golding.  And we sucked.  Bad.  One might argue that a PG that can take care of the ball would fix things.  I'm of the opinion that the problems run deeper than that.  We have some nice freshmen. I think Terrell and Elijah Jones are good.  Fire his ass and hire someone that can run both an offense and a defense.

#3 in fast break points
    #14 in FT attempts
    #36 in FT made
    #1 in steals per game
    #1 in turnovers forced per game

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Golding -- another year or fire now?
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 12:00:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The fact that the Miners killed themselves trying to take the ball to the hoop and either losing the ball or getting it spanked out of bounds or taken away tells me that the guy is another Coach Dismal. He is insisting that his way even if it doesn't work will win games. The Miners could take the ball to the five foot distance from the basket and would have a good percentage of made baskets, but NOOOOO, he insists on taking it directly to the hoop and getting terrible results. What's the use of that if like I stated above and to add to that the Miners are terrible under the basket, they have a poor made percentage even that close.

The good thing I like about his team is that they have a lot of heart and strive to take the ball away. Now, if you add that to a fairly good shooting team and a big man under the basket that doesn't have catchers mitts for hands and could rebound it would be great. I don't know who is in the wings to take over the players that are leaving and if they're not half as good be prepared for another mediocre season.

I give the Miners kudos though and not all F's on the report card because they did very well in the tournament, no one expected that they would be playing for the championship.

I say one more year but that depends on how much improvement happens next year, otherwise, sayonnara Coach Pyrite. Besides, in Minerland a mediocre season results in the coach getting a raise and extending his contract so HE WASN'T GOING ANYWHERE ANYTIME SOON. That's a fact, Jack.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 12:28:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Golding coaches fine. He gets the most defensively he can out of his players. It is the Jesses and Joes not the X?s and O?s. He will lose good players and reload. This is what drove Tim Floyd out of the game, ironically. Every year will be a crapshoot. However, his career has shown him to win right around 53% of his games. Here and at ACU. That?s not good enough for me. I want 75-85% wins. I want the best players transferring to us and not away. Winning begets winners and more winning. There are no guarantees in life but I find that the rule of getting what you pay for is a good one and shopping for hidden treasures at the Savers is fun but shopping for coaches there isn?t a good idea. Go pay the money for a good coach. Players notice if you are cheapskates or if you are looking for the best you can get.
    All that being said it may all be irrelevant if they turn the Miners into a semi or club team as paid employees.

Oh, I'll be surprised if he doesn't get an extension. 
    « Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 07:19:33 PM by kyyote »

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 05:43:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Oh, he will be back.

The team that beat Liberty and Sam Houston State still played the same as they did all year.  I was surprised no one brought that up.

Western Kentucky must have been pinching themselves to have to top two conference tournament seeds eliminated and never had to face them.

The Miners won some games down the stretch and that will be enough to have him stick around.

lieb

Alaska Miner

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 11:39:12 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I mean, I get the disappointment, but I?m still not quite ready to give up on him, yet. I mean, the way this team played this year, did we really think we?d be one win away from a tournament bid at the end? I know I didn?t. The kind of heart it took to do that is instilled by the coach. Also, like Ky said, it?s the horses, not the driver. At least as far as I can tell? Does he need to get some good recruits quickly? Yes. And that is squarely on the coach. However, I?m holding out hope that he?s still trying to navigate this whole NIL situation. I?m still of the opinion it will effectively ruin college sports, but if that?s what we gotta do to compete, then Coach needs to figure it out, quickly. I am cautiously optimistic that he will. I think he?ll get some faster horses (or at least some that can throw it in the ocean from outside.)
    Let's go Brandon!

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 04:47:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He?s 80. Larry Brown. El Paso would treat him better than he would believe and it would be a nice place for him to relax a little. Assistants would volunteer to be mentored by him. Players?  They would be lined up with their Mac Donald?s All-American trophies in hand.
    It?s that time of year again.