Author Topic: OPT; UTEP v. LA Tech, 02/22 (Thu), 7 pm  (Read 3121 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
OPT; UTEP v. LA Tech, 02/22 (Thu), 7 pm
« on: February 18, 2024, 10:37:53 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP 70 Tech75

We are 13-13.  I think we lose the tech game and split the remaining 4 games.  The regular season ends with us being 15-16.  I think at the beginning of the season  I thought we would win 14-16 games.  I say that not to brag about my prediction, but to call attention to my feeling that the team would be a team that wouldn't be contending.

I ask myself a few questions.  In this crazy, never before seen upside down world of open portals and all of that NIL and other shit, has Golding lost good players and has he brought better players.  Remember who was here and who has left and who he has brought in.  Ask yourself who would have done better the last three years had he been here - Terry or Golding.  Golding is making what Terry was.

We took a chance on Golding.  It isn't that I am against that.  There are programs that are in position to do that.  We are in a conference that half will leave and we are filling with not even the same barrel-we have to dip into the smaller barrel to remain in existence.  And UTEP, the proud UTEP athletic existence threatened and the powers at be go with the take a chance instead of going with a proven commodity.  At least show you are trying to win, not get lucky.  The recruits see what I see. The dozens now of teams that have ditched us over the years have seen it.  This go cheap, try to find a hidden gem has been our way.  It got us Haskins!  But never a football coach.  Strippers and fate had to force us to pick up the chipped gem that fell into our lap for a couple of years.  The thing it showed was that the people were starved for, wanted, and would pay for a winner!  The financial mismanagement of the market potential AND the athletic programs is maddening.

I pray that we found a steal at the Dollar Store for our new coach.  I know everyone is fired up for him.  I hope we have found the Don Haskins of UTEP football.  Right now, I'd settle for Billy Clyde.

Btw, I am old and cranky. 
    « Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 11:23:12 AM by kyyote »

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    Re: OPT; UTEP v. LA Tech, 02/22 (Thu), 7 pm
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 06:02:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • 74-69 UTEP

I'm changing mine to 69-74 LT. 
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 04:47:01 PM by Austintacious »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 07:13:16 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • will we get that new basketball coach for next season or the one after?  And what should we be looking for?  A splash name?  A P5 assistant?  Can we even still get a P5 assistant or have we fallen too far?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 07:50:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Both the Sun Bowl and The Don sell out for winners. The fans and money are there waiting. Take a chance or hire a proven winner. Get the name the players recognize and want to play for. Pay the money get the biggest name we can afford. His name should win half the games before he even gets here. Three years to win and fill the seats. Or the axe. We are fighting for our existence and we are slapping instead of throwing punches.

Miner91

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 07:53:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Miners 77
    La Tech 72

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 09:22:43 AM »
  • [applaud]1
  • [smite]0
  • Fight like you?re the third monkey on the ramp to Noah?s ark and it?s starting to rain

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 03:29:24 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP 75 La Tech 74

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 03:40:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Both the Sun Bowl and The Don sell out for winners. The fans and money are there waiting. Take a chance or hire a proven winner. Get the name the players recognize and want to play for. Pay the money get the biggest name we can afford. His name should win half the games before he even gets here. Three years to win and fill the seats. Or the axe. We are fighting for our existence and we are slapping instead of throwing punches.

Haskins was coaching high school boys and girls when he was hired. He did pretty well for a long while. Gillespie was a fairly well known assistant and did well for a short while. Tony Barbee was a well know assistant who did well and left but no longer doing very well.  Flip a coin and hope for the best but there are no guarantees either way and I doubt another Haskins comes along, does well and stays for the long haul. Even Haskins came close to leaving a time or two.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 04:05:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My point is that we got a one in forever with Haskins. With all of them it is no guarantee. The coaches after him were good and gone or not good. Let?s just get a proven good one. We have the money waiting to do it. I also am worried that time is running out. We are in an elevator that has headed down.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 11:04:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My point is that we got a one in forever with Haskins. With all of them it is no guarantee. The coaches after him were good and gone or not good. Let?s just get a proven good one. We have the money waiting to do it. I also am worried that time is running out. We are in an elevator that has headed down.

If we have the money then let?s do it! I?d love for UTEP to do what San Diego St did when they hired Fischer. That turned them into a perennial top 25 team.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 20, 2024, 02:21:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, to be clear, the money is waiting in the pockets of the fans that would show up and support an honest show of a commitment to winning.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 05:51:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, to be clear, the money is waiting in the pockets of the fans that would show up and support an honest show of a commitment to winning.

You're absolutely right, Ky. It's been proven over and over that when the Miners win the fans show up. It's so frustrating because even though we're not good the fans still show up, not in the numbers that we remember when Haskins was here but we still lead the conference sometimes in seats filled. Win and you will see the numbers returning and that's what I'm waiting on. For some reason I think this kid we hired, Walden, will generate exciting games and that's a plus already. Too bad we're months away from seeing the actual product. I can't wait but I'll have to. LOL

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 05:52:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • In my haste to put in my two cents worth I forgot my prediction:

La Tech   81

Utep       65

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 06:01:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP   Opp   NAME
    65   81   Minermojo
    70   75   kyyote
    74   69   Austintacious
    75   74   MinerInWisconsin
    77   72   Miner91
    113   63   zyxwvutsru

Austintacious

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 04:49:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP   Opp   NAME
    65   81   Minermojo
    69   74   Austintacious
    70   75   kyyote
    75   74   MinerInWisconsin