Author Topic: 2024 Pre-Season Pick Contest  (Read 4769 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: 2024 Pre-Season Pick Contest
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2024, 04:22:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I almost posted the same thing.
    Coach thought his FCS QB was all that cuz he looked good against our FCS defense

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: September 23, 2024, 05:02:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, we are UTEP. Only UTEP would go get a guy from an FCS school who had a good year, pay him what the last hc was making, almost doubling his salary AND give him  by a FIVE year contract!  For an untested, unproven hc at this level. He has shown that Senter was a genius. He has that super vision that allows him to spot great talent at the lower levels of play and giving them shocking to even the recipients large amounts of guaranteed money. Can?t wait to see all of the fcs players transferring to complete the fundamental transformation of the team to the fcs team of the fbs  division.

WTFITMWTP!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 06:42:19 AM by kyyote »

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: September 23, 2024, 08:09:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • "WTFITMWTP!"

I used to do this at work on the blackboard to remind me of something I had to get done. The guys would try to decipher it all the time. I think I know what yours means.

What the fudge is the matter with these people. Am I right?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: September 24, 2024, 06:39:26 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nailed it

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: September 24, 2024, 10:03:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, we are UTEP. Only UTEP would go get a guy from an FCS school who had a good year, pay him what the last hc was making, almost doubling his salary AND give him  by a FIVE year contract!  For an untested, unproven hc at this level. He has shown that Senter was a genius. He has that super vision that allows him to spot great talent at the lower levels of play and giving them shocking to even the recipients large amounts of guaranteed money. Can?t wait to see all of the fcs players transferring to complete the fundamental transformation of the team to the fcs team of the fbs  division.

WTFITMWTP!

To be fair though, he went out and recruited a lot of 3 star guys.  You can win in CUSA with a team full of 3 star players.  I think he made the assessment (incorrectly it seems) that what UTEP had was not meaningfully better than FCS and might as well bring in guys that know the system in the hopes that would turn into a successful year.  He was wrong.  But assuming he continues to recruit well, FCS talent is not his future, it was a shot at a short term fix.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: September 24, 2024, 10:56:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Okay. Well, then I have questions. How is it that Dimel was stocking sub fcs level talent but getting extensions?  Senter?  Was that happening under Senter watch? If as you say, our new coach was wrong about this would I be wrong if I didn?t trust his judgement regarding the evaluation of football talent-a pretty important ability for his job?  Or Senter?s?  Or Wilson who knows that the football program is the ?front porch ? of the school?  Who is the genius that can?t understand that 15-20 thousand at $15 bucks a seat times six for a $800k coach is better than 45-50k at $15 for a big name, player attracting, winning head coach that demonstrates a desire to not try to survive at the lowest level but to actually win and prosper?

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: September 24, 2024, 11:08:11 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • >>How is it that Dimel was stocking sub fcs level talent but getting extensions? 

I'm not saying that Dimel was stocking sub fcs level talent.  Senter did however give him extensions that I think were unwarranted.

>>If as you say, our new coach was wrong about this would I be wrong if I didn?t trust his judgement regarding the evaluation of football talent-a pretty important ability for his job

Good question.  I don't trust his judgment at this point either.  But star ratings aren't from CEW or Senter.  The ratings are not 100% correct, but a team full of 3 star talent is almost guaranteed to have better players than a team full of one and two star talent.

>>Who is the genius that can?t understand that 15-20 thousand at $15 bucks a seat times six for a $800k coach is better than 45-50k at $15 for a big name, player attracting, winning head coach that demonstrates a desire to not try to survive at the lowest level but to actually win and prosper?

Assume you meant the first is *not* better, and I agree.  This is also my argument against someone like Palmer.  Stop shopping at Dollar Tree, and pony up for what we need.

Now it seems to me though that I read somewhere that sports funding is complicated due to being part of the UT system.  Could Wilson just decide to invest $2M a year in a coach, or does it have to go through the board of regents or something?

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: September 24, 2024, 11:25:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have reason to believe that Walden is "NOT" a good evaluator of talent. I saw that the guy he brought from Austin wasn't FBS worthy. But...he insisted on keeping him at the QB spot. Did anybody notice that as soon as he changed QBs in the second half (?) that the Miners started scoring? I'm not saying that (jeepers I keep forgetting their names) the replacement is a star but he sure did a good job of almost bringing us back to a tie (if it wasn't for no.50 who screwed things up royally by going off sides). We were that close to perhaps even winning that game.

You watch, the next game he'll have the Austin QB in the QB spot again. Some people just don't learn, they're just stubborn and stupid.

Someone remind me of their names, for some reason their names don't stick to my memory. Maybe it's because I don't want to remember, LOL.

I promise I'll write their names down for the next posting. Ha, ha.
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2024, 10:57:58 AM by Minermojo »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: September 24, 2024, 11:35:06 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hell I haven?t watched the last two games and i remember the names

FCS Skyler Locklear
    FBS Cade McConnell

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: September 24, 2024, 02:26:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sis, I remember not too long ago when UTSA jumped into div 1 fbs. They are a part of the Texas system and in a few short years have shot up the conference ranks. Why them and not UTEP?

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: September 24, 2024, 03:27:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • obviously our leadership sucks and has sucked for a long time.  We diehards are the last to figure out they don't give a shit

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: September 25, 2024, 10:58:30 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hell I haven?t watched the last two games and i remember the names

FCS Skyler Locklear
    FBS Cade McConnell

You're not 76. LOL

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: September 25, 2024, 11:00:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • obviously our leadership sucks and has sucked for a long time.  We diehards are the last to figure out they don't give a shit

We're like Democrat voters that keep electing Dems into office and then can't figure out why they always suck. They take us for granted.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: September 25, 2024, 11:05:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

We're like Democrat voters that keep electing Dems into office and then can't figure out why they always suck. They take us for granted.

Nah.  We're like Republican voters who keep voting for Republicans because they promise to stop the Democrats.  But even when R's are in the majority we still get D policies somehow.  And we keep voting for them because at least they tell us what we want to hear, even though nothing different actually happens

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: September 26, 2024, 01:29:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So like coaches, all we get are lies.    ;D