Author Topic: Will kneeling during the national anthem cross over to college sports?  (Read 777 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm willing to bet if what is going on in the NFL continues, it will. We have all seen athletes kneel to the flag just coming out of the tunnel to show respect to those who currently serve or have fallen, but that has never happened at UTEP while the National Anthem was played. Let's face it, most learning institutions are liberalistic by nature and this type of protest would be a standard practice. With Natalicio looking for Tier I as well as the connection with Ft. Bliss, I'm sure she had talks with her coaches that this is a practice she would want to avoid.
    While the protests have positive and negative connotations, there is nothing illegal about it.

Negatives: 1) It shows disrespect in the eyes of most Americans. 2)A lot of controlling sports leaders are coming out and dictating what they think is right and wrong as well as how to act. 3) Sports is losing money by losing the interest of many fans and viewers. 4) Causing social division.

Positives: 1) Brings awareness of racism and inequality that is still a national issue. 2) It is peaceful. 3) Athletes are trying to use there status to make a difference for the better.

Our nation was founded on freedom of speech and protest and we are the best country in the world because of it, however, there are also many other ways that has proven to be more successful as the times have gone on. Let's take Cancer. This is a huge issue that effects all people in the world. Cancer awareness has been an obvious campaign in all major sports with the use of wearing pink. Everyone participates and it has maximized awareness and has raised hundreds of millions of dollars for research.
    Why can't owners and athletes present something as creative as this to sports leagues and try to make a social difference? It's working with the medical side of it.
    Let's face it, wouldn't you rather use all that money that has been lost and put it towards awareness adds and campaigns, while at the same time keeping your fan base? Please don't tell me I'm the only one who has thought this.
    I'm thinking the way things are currently going, it will cause more division and is making social issues worse than better.
    On a personal note, I have a respect for these athletes practicing in there freedom of speech and to protest. However, you will never catch me or my kids kneeling when our National Anthem is being played. My family and I are lucky to live well and I am convinced no other country would have given us that opportunity. It is because of that and to those who have allowed me to live in this luxury that I will continue to respect this country.
    So, will college sports join in on kneeling during the national anthem? I'd be willing to bet it won't go that far, but I would not be surprised if it did.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    Re: Will kneeling during the national anthem cross over to college sports?
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • At most colleges, including UTEP, the National Anthem is played while the teams are still in the locker room.  UTEP doesn't run out onto the field until after the national anthem is played.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • At most colleges, including UTEP, the National Anthem is played while the teams are still in the locker room.  UTEP doesn't run out onto the field until after the national anthem is played.
    Not the basketball games.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I share many veterans dislike of pro football players kneeling. It's very true that they have that right but I see it as the football field is not a correct venue for their protest. If they want changes take it to city administrations and protest there. That's where the people they protest against are, in police departments. Don't do it during a sports activity.

I'm still boycotting the Nfl until common sense prevails. I haven't watch the 'boys in 4 weeks and I sure as heck am not going to buy any gear until they do. Perhaps forever. I know I haven't missed it. This Sunday after church I was barbecuing and doing some odd jobs which to me is very relaxing especially with this beautiful weather we've been having. So screw those whiny millionaires  >:( and I'm showing them my protest too by boycotting.   8)

As much as I love my Miners if they did something this stupid I can boycott them too.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:00:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm not a constitutional lawyer, but this is how I understand it...

Freedom of speech (like all the other freedoms in the US Constitution) is about freedom from being directly punished in some manner from the government.  It doesn't mean freedom from consequences from your employer or customer base.

A collegiate player for a public university might be able to make the case that their protest is protected because it is explicitly political and the punishing authority would represent the state government in some way.  This wouldn't protect a state employee from protesting on the job.  But scholarship athletes are NOT "employed".  How the fan base would react is completely different.

People from the Dixie Chicks to the NFL have not seemed to understand that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from any consequences.  I have the freedom to purchase whatever it is you're selling or not.  You need to consider whether or not that is a price you are willing to pay before you exercise that freedom.

On another note,
    These protests are really ill-conceived and counter-productive.  A productive protest is protesting something specific and has specific goals.  Protesting racial injustice is pretty vague, and no one has any clue what these players goals are.  Without specifics, it comes off as being a protest against America generally which is clearly not useful and in the absence of any stated goals really looks like nothing more than entitled guys that got to be millionaires because they were good at a sport complaining about how racist America is.  Not a helpful image.  If they specifically stated "this is about getting House Bill XXYY passed" it would take on a different appearance.