Author Topic: The Carousel Is Starting UP  (Read 3692 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
The Carousel Is Starting UP
« on: July 27, 2023, 08:29:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Prime Time has announced that Colorado is rejoining the Big12.  The Big12 will probably add one of the Four Corners teams, Utah, Az, Az St, and that along with USC and UCLA gong to the Big10 leaves the Pac10 with problems.  SDST, Fresno St. UNLV, and Boise are candidates, but Washington and Oregon want out now without USC and UCLA.  I have no idea if UTEP could or would benefit from what is coming, but definitely, more shaking is coming with Colorado moving back to the BIG12.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: The Carousel Is Starting UP
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 01:13:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Those four teams would be good adds for the Pac10. They all have decent teams in football and some are pretty darn good in basketball. Boise would be added because it's a great football team but their basketball sucks.

Again, if the Mwc comes knocking not because they need us but to insure survival should Utep stay in Cusa or jump ship to the Mwc? I'm ambivalent, one part of me wants into the Mwc and the other wants to tell them to take a deep dive into shallow water. Even though the new Cusa teams aren't tv busters other than Liberty I think we should still stick to Cusa.

If those four team did leave for the Pac I would surmise that the Mwc would want to snatch great FCS teams like Montana St., No. Dak and No. Dak St. Who knows maybe even No. Arizona could be a candidate.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 02:09:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • IDK if it matters at this point.  Whoever comes to get us is basically picking the last scrubby guy available that hasn't bee picked for your team and has probably already picked a couple girls that are better.

If El Paso doesn't give a s***, the president of UTEP doesn't give a s*** and long term fans are increasingly not giving a s*** why should any conference?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 07:03:33 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Perhaps a merger of leftovers from Mwc and cusa. You know. A much bigger collection of leftover teams. 

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2023, 12:29:56 PM »
  • [applaud]1
  • [smite]0
  • Perhaps a merger of leftovers from Mwc and cusa. You know. A much bigger collection of leftover teams.

yeppers, we can call ourselves the "Smorgasbord Conference". Just throw whatever into the mix, thats how I fix my breakfasts.

KiddMiner

• Assayer
    • Picks Up!! GO MINERS!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2023, 09:23:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have been in Oklahoma 30yrs now and as a result, have had a chance to see firsthand what a Bill Snyder-coached team can do. He is very well respected here in Sooner Country.

The main thing is patience, KSTATE has had up and down seasons, but for the most part successful. Dimel is following the same concept and is now at the point where we should start to see some success.

I like others have questioned his play calling but we have seen the potential. The area where we need the biggest improvement is on the defensive side IMHO. If we could have stopped UTSA then bowling we would have gone. As the saying goes "Defense wins Championships".

It's entirely possible for UTEP to have back-to-back winning seasons and be on track to remain a competitive team and draw some attention when realignment happens again. I just hope UTEP can keep Dimel if indeed it happens.
    Picks Up!! GO MINERS!!!

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 10:08:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Even if successful I don?t know who will want Dimel.  Very few programs are interested in a decade long turnaround.  Most will expect results in yr 3-4

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 08:26:23 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP is Dimel?s retirement gift from one old coach to another. The fraternity takes care of their own. He doesn?t have another ten years to give anyone.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 10:44:37 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Maybe this hire works out then.  Undeniably there has been a significant upgrade in talent.  I think we'd be ecstatic with Dimel right now if he had a true dual threat QB the last few years.  His failure (choice?) to acquire one is weird but maybe UTEP's reputation is so bad we just can't get one.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 11:14:58 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The guy before Hardison was an All American JC son of a coach dual threat quarterback, I think. And Dimel called horrible games.

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 11:45:06 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Someone needs to tell Dimel to stop calling the plays, perhaps our AD can be the ringing in his ears.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 04:31:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It is just a rumor but it is that Washington, Oregon, FSU, and Clemson will join bigten. I f the pac ten or sixteen or something will stir everything up. 

So fast. Washington one Oregon move to big 10. Az st and Utah to big 12.

It may be time to pick up some pieces. The pac will get four to six from the mwc. Say Fresno sdst unlv and Boise. Who is left and would help cusa. Unm would make sense. Utah state would too. Wyoming?  Colorado st. Both of those make sense regionally and make the conference large enough to make for a better tv deal.
    « Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 04:49:10 PM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 05, 2023, 05:15:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Are those leftovers a better conference than we are in?   Is Utah St, Wyo, Co St, UNM better than Liberty, WKU, and yes even SHSU and Jacksonville St?
    Will it have a better TV deal after the dust settles?  Without bothering to do any research, I'm not sure the net TV audience for the remaining MWC schools is higher than for current CUSA schools?

Travel costs would be lower and we'd be back to being in a more natural geographic region

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 08:12:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Already we can add Az to the big12. I am beginning to wonder if the remnants of what was the pac try to add a bunch of mwc teams or maybe just join the mwc. Will the pac12 made up of Stanford Cal Wa st and Oregon st and 8 mwc teams be a power conference or at that point does the aac have a stronger conference?  Everything is still shifting around.

As for your question, heck no. Liberty and wku can handle any of the leftovers in the mwc. Also MTU.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 10:37:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think I misunderstood what you were saying before.  Were you saying CUSA would pick up those leftovers and have a pathetically weak western division and a fairly strong eastern division?

West:  UTEP, NMSU, UNM, Utah St, Wyo, Co St, Air Force ?
    East:  The rest of  CUSA as it exists now?

7 division games, one out of division game, a championship game, and 3 OOC games?   Something like this?