Author Topic: 23 UTEP Football  (Read 968 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
23 UTEP Football
« on: April 18, 2023, 09:28:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Some new coaches that are old coaches and some old coaches that got too old.  Moving the deck chairs.

We are the stars or costars of the opening act of 2023 football. The newly reconstituted C-USA will pit UTEP versus Jacksonville State in their rise to FBS football.  The Gamecocks come off of the first season under Rich Rodriguez, a 9-2 campaign and are loaded for bear.  UTEP will be going into an ambush the likes of which I haven't seen since Saturday morning shoot-em-ups when I was a kid watching tv.  I have no knowledge or insight, no analysis to share, but I can smell dead, rotten, carp and have, and this game smells worse.  This is one of those epically put together deals where all of the stars line up for the perfect slaughter made for opening of football.  It is pretty much Ali versus Wepner like.

Ticket prices for this extravaganza go for $75 General Admission.  You think those folks are paying that kind of money to lose. 

UTEP will be offering beach volleyball this year.  Senter, and UTEP Athletics march on, through the desert sands, wandering in the heat looking for water and some kind of miracle to come along.

I'm getting a big build up for the start of the new conference and the sinking feeling that the UNT loss produced.  Then back to the Sun Bowl for the Word for a game that is worthless if you win and just disgusting if you lose.  Off to Northwestern and Arizona for a couple of losses(yeah, yeah, I know, we might beat up the worst team in the cartel maybe over the last thirty or forty years).  So we are likely sitting at 1-3 for the chance at a win against a team from the mwc.  Always intriguing.  Let's take the home field advantage for the win.  Then comes LA Tech.  Even at home and them seemingly wounded, they always give us Hell.  Let me just split the difference by going with a win over lv and a loss to Tech.  Two and four.  A trip to Florida to play the horrible team from there.  But we have to travel, and we are UTEP.  It is never easy to be UTEP.  I'm going to be orange crazy and say we get the win.  Three wins.  We come back to the Sun for the gaggie game and are two strong and feeling all cocky and shit from the FIU win and overpower the farmers.  Hoooey!  Four and four!
    We travel to Huntsville and get shown that championships for just who you are, is a character trait that is even stronger than a losing tradition.  We lose.  And now comes the hard stretch.  WKU, MT, and Liberty are teams that will be bowling and we will have finished the season at 4 and 8.  Does Dimmel get extended or is the Dimmel "process" no longer trusted?

Y'all tell me where I am wrong again!  And why.  Don't just say everywhere cause you're a dumbass.  Too easy.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: 23 UTEP Football
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 06:28:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You're not wrong.  Here's my assessment of Dimel ball.

Throughout his tenure here, there have been two glaring weaknesses in personnel and two in coaching.  Fix them and we have a great season with a shot of beating bad cartel teams and a shot of winning conference.  I don't see these getting fixed.

Personnel:

#1 -- QB.   Dimel NEEDS a dual threat QB but he is married to Hardison.  Hardison is a 1/2 threat QB.   Sometimes he throws the ball well and sometimes he looks like he's never thrown a football before.

#2 -- DBs   We just can't seem to get enough talented DBs and it hurts us if we aren't able to pressure the QB.

Coaching:
    #1 -- Dimel can call a diverse playset, innovative and interesting.  He can also become weirdly obsessed with one aspect of the game and either forget about the pass or forget about the run.

#2 -- Game management.  Unbelievable how a D1 coach can be so bad at this.  How can you come in after receiving a kickoff and have to take a timeout because you didn't get a play called?

These will continue to cost us winnable games.  I think Dimel's floor is 3 games and his ceiling is 7.   If we have another non-winning season and he gets extended we know everything we need to about our attitude towards football.  I might watch Arizona and/or Northwestern, but that's it.  Unless Dimel starts a different QB.