Author Topic: utep basketball coaches (post-Haskins)  (Read 815 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
utep basketball coaches (post-Haskins)
« on: December 15, 2022, 08:32:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My ranking on strategy and recruiting -- Golding based on performance to date.

Strategy                             Recruiting

1. Gillispie                              1.  Barbee
    2. Sadler                                2.  Terry
    3.  Floyde                               3.  Gillispie
    4.  Golding                             4.  Floyde
    5.  Barbee                             5.  Sadler
    6.  Terry                                 6.  Golding
    7.  Rab                                   7.  Rab

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: utep basketball coaches (post-Haskins)
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 07:53:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I wouldn't argue those lists.  I think someone could.  Not me.  I think the top three on the strategy list are shuffle able, perhaps.  Recruiting first depends on overall and just at UTEP.  Just at UTEP I think that the transfer game kind of affected this incredibly in the last few years, making it really hard to compare the apples and oranges.  Floyd had the most trouble with it, which was ironic.  Barbee's kids wouldn't have been here long enough to know how good he was or not.  In today's environment Moultrie and Culpepper would have been gone before they would have been Miners greats.

What is worthy of mentioning is just the first thing that shows up glaringly to me, even with this small of a random grouping is that the Strategy list has the four white coaches listed and then the two black coaches while recruiting is the exact opposite.  That is where the debate really is.  Is that just a coincidence?  Does it reflect a bias in thinking that is unseen or is it just accurate for this small sample, or is it an indication of reality.  What are the indications and how might this be applied in the future.  Does it mean anything that both Barbee and Terry left head coaching positions to take assistant coaching positions with schools near the top of the basketball world when both could obviously have head coaching positions at other big schools?    What does it mean that Doc, Gillespie, and Floyd failed at their big schools with all of their strategy and Terry and Barbee couldn't recruit their way to success?  And then there is the whole "to UTEP" thing.  How much does El Paso and UTEP figure into it?  Btw, Terry may very well end up being UT's Head Coach.  He may have a much better palette to work with as far as strategy goes.

I think it was hard to measure Barbee's strategery because of the style of play he was employing.  The strategy was to have better athletes crash the boards and there isn't a lot of adjusting involved.  Terry may have been riding the great Williams and Boum and limited by their two opposing strengths.  There are just so many variables on each of those coaches and lists.  Hell, Rab made a living coaching in the pro's for many years.  He knew something.  Following Haskins was impossible, especially with the politics of who should have had the job, and sweating like a pig on the sidelines made his tenure short and hard to judge.
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 01:07:26 PM by kyyote »