Author Topic: best case for UTEP future?  (Read 670 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
best case for UTEP future?
« on: December 06, 2022, 05:48:38 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It looks to me like the direction college sports is heading is that the rich schools will be the major league and the poorer schools will be the minor leagues.   So maybe we ought to just formalize it.  All UT directional schools become the official farm system for UT Austin.

UT to do all the recruiting, the NIL stuff, coach staff hirings and firings, etc.
    UTSA will be 3A.  UTEP 2A, and the other programs 1A.  UTEP could have been the 3A but that's just not where we are today.

Do I love it?  No not at all.  But it may be the only thing that keeps us alive and relevant.  It looks to me like we are swirling the bowl in the early stages of a flush, and no one at UTEP or EP has the vision to do anything else other than oversee the collapse.   I can almost guarantee we'd have better players.  Let's assume 5 QB per team.  We'd have the 11th best QB that UT could find and sign into their system.  You can't tell me that wouldn't be better than Hardison or Brownholz.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    Re: best case for UTEP future?
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 08:36:08 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Jmho but I think fbs has been one tier in name only for a long time. The 12 team playoff gives G5 schools a little hope.

We also need to embrace the portal situation since it and NIL are not going anywhere.

Our AD needs to create a fund for a football program NIL that can compete monetarily with most G5 schools. That's part of his job and he did get the Hunt family to do it for basketball.

The transfer portal works both ways. The rich will steal from the poor but good players that don't get enough playing time at a rich school will transfer to a G5. Our coach is into JC recruiting, which is fine but he needs to utilize the portal as well.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    Re: best case for UTEP future?
    « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 09:15:37 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I forgot to mention that the portal contains some gems from lower divisions as well. Austin Reed, WKU's qb this past season has entered the portal and I'm sure his stats will get him to a anothe school, maybe a P5, that is looking for a passing sensation. WKU got him last year out of the portal. He was at a div 2 school.