Author Topic: fire Dimel  (Read 1111 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
fire Dimel
« on: October 29, 2022, 10:17:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This was absolutely one of the worst offensive game plans I've ever seen.  Dimel must be on LSD.   He calls a Hardison run play on 4th and 10 in his own territory?   Hankins is getting six yards a carry so he goes to the air?   I really mean it this time.  I'm done watching Dimel ball forever.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    Re: fire Dimel
    « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 10:30:41 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yep. Gotta happen. And no more boring offense whoever the coach is. No one wants to pay to watch paint dry.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 10:36:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I happen to be at Ŧ for parents weekend & couldn't catch the Miner game. Thank God.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 07:51:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Two things we have to admit about Dimel. 1) he has seriously improved UTEP's roster. We have talent. 2) this team is competitive with any cusa team.

Two more things. 1) Dimel's offense is mostly boring and leaves little room for error. 2) the Miners spend the majority of possession time letting the clock run. Not something fans pay to see even though the idea is to limit opponents possessions and rest your own defense.

How many games this season has UTEP let slip through their fingers. In this latest game the Miners dropped a sure long td pass, had a td called back for a doubtful offensive pass interference, etc., etc.  Then the La Tech game with 4 turnovers. Then the UNM game with 7 turnovers. The list is too long and points to lack of preparation which points to coaching.

I'd love to see a coaching change and for UTEP to invest in a good, proven coach that would bring in an exciting offense. I'm not holding my breath though.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 08:53:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yes.   It's the inability to put together a coherent game plan a lot of the time.  We have a formula that works fairly well, and inexplicably, Dimel will just veer wildly off course.   Hankins is pounding them, and when we decide to pass do we try play action?  Just that one time and we had a guy wide open. Why only once?  Why would we not make them deviate from what works before we go nuts?  We KNOW we can run fairly well and we open both halves with three passes.  3 and out.  It's things like having to call a timeout to nor purpose other than your inability to call a play on time.

Once again we didn't get beat by a better team.  We got beat by a better coach.

I still might be OK with Dimel if he were forced to hire an up and coming OC who might potentially be a future HC, and Dimel has to fully give up the offense to him.  I mean fully.  Be an HC.

I am overall pretty happy with our DC.  I honestly feel like he gets more out of the players than their actual talent level should allow.
    Aaron Price has improved special teams but maybe someone could tell him it's OK to slow down the other team before they get to our kick returner and kill him.

BTW, Chanson, both my daughters are at Tech.  One is graduating this spring, the other a sophomore.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 08:53:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't mind watching UTEP dominate the way they did Boise, and yes, the best offense is a ball control offense.  It is still easier for offensive linemen to push people than it is for defensive linemen to get past them.  I don't think El Pasoans are too unsophisticated to understand it.  But the whole point of the game is to win.  Ball control losing may be the worst way to lose.  It's like being a turtle.  We are going to walk over here and you can't stop me.  But we are a box turtle and everyone just flips us on our back.

In Dimel's defense, he can't catch passes that hit receivers in the hands in open spaces and he isn't the one calling ridiculous penalties.  But he is still the one that just does stupid shit.  We are running the ball up their ass.  That is great.  But if you want the defense to get worn the fuck out then get right back to the line and run it.  Wear their asses out on the damned drive and make them tired enough to punch the ball in.  Just dumb ass calls!  This was another easily winnable game.  Remember what the saying is, "He could beat you with his players or he could beat you with your players!"?  Well, Dimel could lose with yours or his.  Btw, the one thing we all agree on is that Dimel has improved the talent.  I agree, but I think it was an accident.  Notice his record until the transfer portal opened up and after.  Covid and transfer rules being tossed out allowed the improved play and not his long term planning.  I quickly counted 50 tranfers from the roster.

Now, the thing that worries me is that we will win another game or maybe even two, and Senter will feel safe in extending Dimel's contract.  I would rather Dimel lost the rest and forced them to try again.  But, do I think they will do what is needed?  Oh, Hell no!

But, it is our only chance and I am seriously concerned for the survival of UTEP football.  We are in the bottom 10% of teams in the country and as conferences are busy picking new teams we are the team standing there hoping someone will pick us, but nobody really wants too so we have gathered up the what's left eams and they all look at each other saying well, we play each other.  So, do we want wins to make the powers that be feel like they are on the right track or do we hope for losses to make them try and fix it knowing they will only haf asses try?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 08:58:17 AM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 30, 2022, 09:35:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • which additional games might we win?   FIU at home is the only "winnable" game.  We aren't beating Rice or UTSA on the road.  We could be sitting on 7 wins right now if Dimel wasn't a dumbass.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 30, 2022, 09:59:30 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • which additional games might we win?   FIU at home is the only "winnable" game.  We aren't beating Rice or UTSA on the road.  We could be sitting on 7 wins right now if Dimel wasn't a dumbass.

Depends on which Rice team takes the field. Same for UTEP. Rice just got stomped by Charlotte at Rice. UTEP actually dominated Boise State. If Rice plays their best and UTEP plays their worst then the Miners have no chance.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 11:34:48 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Btw did y?all notice the nearly empty bowl?  If someone was trying to kill football in El Paso could they be more efficient?  In the span of about a decade they took a fan base that used to be a bragging point down to less people than used to show up to watch a Blue and Orange Spring Game under Price. They were free but that can?t be too far off. It was so sad to see the Sun Bowl so empty.
    Home game attendance;

Away games
    OU, you can ignore, but UNM, Charlotte, and LA Tech are our supposed competitors.

At $25 a fan the Miners have lost $3,075,000 in potential ticket sales this season, alone. 
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 12:00:12 PM by kyyote »

orange-oink

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 30, 2022, 12:09:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This was absolutely one of the worst offensive game plans I've ever seen.  Dimel must be on LSD.   He calls a Hardison run play on 4th and 10 in his own territory?   Hankins is getting six yards a carry so he goes to the air?   I really mean it this time.  I'm done watching Dimel ball forever.

Terrible offensive games plans also include New M?xico,  UNT , second half of La Tech. 

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2022, 02:50:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

Terrible offensive games plans also include New M?xico,  UNT , second half of La Tech.

NMSU as well.  We won that game but our offense was terrible.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 07:31:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yes.   It's the inability to put together a coherent game plan a lot of the time.  We have a formula that works fairly well, and inexplicably, Dimel will just veer wildly off course.   Hankins is pounding them, and when we decide to pass do we try play action?  Just that one time and we had a guy wide open. Why only once?  Why would we not make them deviate from what works before we go nuts?  We KNOW we can run fairly well and we open both halves with three passes.  3 and out.  It's things like having to call a timeout to nor purpose other than your inability to call a play on time.

Once again we didn't get beat by a better team.  We got beat by a better coach.

I still might be OK with Dimel if he were forced to hire an up and coming OC who might potentially be a future HC, and Dimel has to fully give up the offense to him.  I mean fully.  Be an HC.

I am overall pretty happy with our DC.  I honestly feel like he gets more out of the players than their actual talent level should allow.
    Aaron Price has improved special teams but maybe someone could tell him it's OK to slow down the other team before they get to our kick returner and kill him.

BTW, Chanson, both my daughters are at Tech.  One is graduating this spring, the other a sophomore.

An interesting add as OC might be Mack Leftwich, former UTEP QB. He is the OC under Kinne at UIW. They are 8-1 with a win at Nevada and they score a lot of points. Even better would be to hire Kinne as HC before he brings his team to UTEP next season.